It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '15
Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2013, 03:06
C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has
D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have

Between C and D, the only issue I can see if 'has/have"

D. New Jersey, Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have
C. the Deer Population {in New Jersey}, With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting

Infact if you remove the has/have issue C is correct it seems.
Please provide inputs.

Veritas Prep - 650
MGMAT 1 590
MGMAT 2 640 (V48/Q31)

Please help the community by giving Kudos.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2013, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
PTK wrote:
With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000.

A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have

B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that donot allow hunting, wildlife officails' estimate of deer population in New Jersey has

C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have

E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighbourhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has

Only C makes sense, Neither NJ or Wildlife officials can have natural predators unless there some sort of cannibalism taking place in the area which I highly doubt

Hope it helps
Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2014, 13:48
BeckyRobinsonTPR wrote:
surya167 wrote:
The answer to this question is definitely not clear. Why is D not correct? Can someone who has got this correct can please explain this .. will help all of us!

"without natural preditors" is a modifier and as written, it modifies New Jersey, which is incorrect.

In C deer can have green expanses where hunting is not allowed therefore this is an appropriate modifier

Hi,
I am actually a bit confused by the second part of your explanation. How can 'deers' have green expanses. Forests or a place can have green expanses. How can this modify not 'deer' but 'deer population'. How can 'deer population' have green expanses..???
Also, similarly how can 'deer population' have 'no natural predators'....??
Its a very major doubt I am having in this question regarding the modifier.
Please if you could elaborate more on this point.
Thanks in advance...!!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Haas '18
GMAT Date: 07-20-2014

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2014, 06:17
Just to add further to why is option D incorrect

The verb "have grown" is referring back to "population" which is incorrect as 'population' is singular so it will take a singular verb i.e. has and so C is the correct option

Am I wrong in my explanation?

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”

Jerry Rice

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2015, 04:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have\
Wildlife officials should not come after the comma instead the deer population should come as the deer population is modified here by the initial statement
B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials' estimate of the deer population in New Jersey has
Wildlife officials's estimate should not come after the comma instead the deer population should come as the deer population is modified here by the initial statement
C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has
Correct
D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanse of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have
The statement says without natural predators and without no hunting ... This does not makes sense
E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has
Wildlife officials should not come after the comma instead the deer population should come as the deer population is modified here by the initial statement

P.S. Please make sure to search for a problem before posting.
The discussion for this particular SC already exists.

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2015, 23:08
PTK wrote:
With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000.

A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have

B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that donot allow hunting, wildlife officails' estimate of deer population in New Jersey has

E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighbourhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has

Meaning of the statement :
Deer population has exceeded because of two reason:

1. There is no natural predator (say tiger, lion etc. who feed on deer)
2. Green area so ample food for them

Now C says -- With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

with natural predator is modifying deer population. Now deer population itself can not have natural predator (imagine deer eating another deer). it seems illogical to me.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Finance
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2015, 18:46

A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have (wrong modification and also wrong to use have)

B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials’ estimate of deer population in New Jersey has (wrong modification)

D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have (wrong modification and also wrong to use have)

E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has (wrong modification)

Lastly, the plural possessive noun (s') is almost always wrong on the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 05:54
" wild officials estimate " is actually an appositive noun phrase for " the deer population in New Jersey"

In Oxford Advanced Learner Dictionary,

Estimate is not only a verb but also a noun

1) a judgement that you make without having the exact details or figures about the size, amount, cost , etc. of sth.
Ex: I can give you a rough estimate of the amount of wood you will need.
At least 5000 people were killed, and that's a conservative estimate. (= the real figure will be higher)

2) a statement of how much a piece of work will probably cost
Ex: we got estimates from three firms and accepted the lowest.

Hence,
"With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has grown to exceed 175,000."

the "estimate" in the sentence is actually a judgement made by wildlife officials
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 03:11
Hi,

Can we have someone from the E-GMAT team respond to this?

I have the following doubts-:

1) How does the "Green expanses of suburban .. " modify deer population? New Jersey fits in well here. Though, I can beat my head around accepting that this does modify deer population but I'm not sure what would the key "takeaway" be here so that I don't make such a mistake again?

2" If I say "With no natural predators and the green expanses ....", do I need to put with in front of "the green expanses" or it's understood from the first modifier phrase? Please provide your thoughts

Thanks,
Shobhit
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 01:09
sk5002 wrote:
Hi,

Can we have someone from the E-GMAT team respond to this?

I have the following doubts-:

1) How does the "Green expanses of suburban .. " modify deer population? New Jersey fits in well here. Though, I can beat my head around accepting that this does modify deer population but I'm not sure what would the key "takeaway" be here so that I don't make such a mistake again?

2" If I say "With no natural predators and the green expanses ....", do I need to put with in front of "the green expanses" or it's understood from the first modifier phrase? Please provide your thoughts

Thanks,
Shobhit

1. As per modifier touch rule, a modifier must touch the noun it modifies. The modifier " With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting" refers to the "deer population" since it is the noun that touches the modifier. (Although there are certain exceptions to this rule, they do not apply here - this is a clear case of modifier touch rule).

2. Consider the "once outside twice inside" rule for paralllelism:

Twice inside: (With X) and (With Y)
In this case "With" is inside both the parallel elements.

Once outside: With (X) and (Y)
In this case "With" is outside the parallelism structure. (something similar to taking common in algebraic multiplication.)

Both are correct in context of option C - one could say either:
Twice inside: (With no natural predators) and (with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting)

or:
Once outside: With (no natural predators) and (expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 09:53
With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000

As per me, this question tests us on Modifiers, Subject Verb Agreement and Parallelism concepts. I have marked the errors in Red

seems as if the estimates have grown to exceed 175,000 instead of the deer population
B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials' estimate of the deer population in New Jersey has
same as A
C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has
Correct: The deer population has grown to exceed 175,000
D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanse of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have
Subject verb disagreement: New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have instead of has
E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has
Without A and With B wrong construction as compared to With A and With B.
Chat Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2016, 03:59
Please let me know if the line of reasoning is correct :D

Since we are considering the entire deer population as one collective term (noun), I believe population in this context will be singular.

If we were to specify some attributes of deer within that population, it would be plural.

Based on above, A and D are eliminated.

Since the entire opening modifies something about deer population, option C stands out.

Without x and Y, deer population has grown to ........

without X and Y, wildlife officials -- Incorrect

Hence C

:D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 19:37
In my 2 cents,
What's wrong with option D is the misplaced modifier at the beginning of the sentence.
No sv disagreement;wildlife officials estimate deer population to have grown..

Thanks
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 05:30
There is no doubt that C is the right choice and everyone has explained that elaborately.I have a different question.In option D , the opening modifier has a prepositional phrase (Without natural predators) parallel with a verb phrase (no hunting allowed),Is that right???
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 07:40
Top Contributor
With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000

There is no need to kneejerk on this simple question that is deceptively daunting. Just look at the modification alone. The introductory modifier should modify its most logical noun, namely 'the deer population'. cool enough?

A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have -- It is wrong to ascribe wildlife officials to the modified noun. How can wildlife official be with or without natural predators or greenery?
B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials' estimate of the deer population in New Jersey has -- The same problem as in A.

C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has -- The correct modified noun and the correct choice.
D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanse of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have-- New Jersey is a wrong modified noun as in A and B.

E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has -- The same problem. as in all other incorrect choices.

Thus, in one stroke you are at Rome.

It may be also noted that 'to have ' is not a verb; it is as an infinitive. Hence, it does not feature sub-verb element. 'have' is the base form of the verb. You will never see 'to has' in English

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 05:20
Two issues with this sentence ..
a ) MOdifier issue ...With no natural predators .....{Modifier } is trying to modify Wildlife official in A,B,E ...Can be eliminated

Moreover the The deer population is a collective noun ...should be followed by has rather than have A,B,D ..CAn be eliminated

In the Option C ..Both this issue is resolved. Therefore Answer is C
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 06:31
The logical meaning of the sentence:

The wild officials estimate that the population of the deer in New Jersy in the absence of a natural predator and in the presence of lush green suburban neighborhoods where hunting is prohibited has grown to exceed 175,000.

A) "With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting" modifies the wildlife officials which is a wrong construction and which goes against the logical meaning.

B) Both the modifier and the modified entity are wrong. Modifier: With no natural predators and with expenses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting; entity modified: wildlife officials' estimate

C) Logical.

D) New Jersey has no natural predator. The meaning is not correct.

E) The modifier and the modified entity are not correct. Modifier: Without natural predators and with expenses of green neighborhoods where there is no hunting; modified entity: wildlife officials.

PS: There are grammatical errors as well.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 04:37
dreamgmat1 wrote:
With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000

(A) With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have

(B) With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that donot allow hunting, wildlife officails' estimate of deer population in New Jersey has

(C) With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

(D) Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have

(E) Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighbourhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has

Another way to solving this SC is to check if the sentence is compliant with SVA.
Both subject and its verb highlighted green.
So in this way A and D are out.
In B the second part says wildlife officials' estimate....has grown [its the population not estimate that has grown] B out
In E the first part "Without natural predator....no hunting" cannot possibly modify wildlife officials. Hence E out.

Leaves us with winner, option C :-D

Sortem sternit fortem!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 01:16
With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000

(A) With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officialsX estimate the New Jersey deer population to have

(B) With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials' estimate of deer population in New Jersey has

(C) With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

(D) Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have

(E) Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has[/quote]

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 00:22
daagh wrote:
The clue hers is to know what or which or who dose not have natural predators. Wildlife officials can not have predators, so dump A, B and E. New Jersey, a place also can not have predators. So drop D. What is left is C, indicating logically that the deer population has no natural predators and that is the obvious choice

daagh, Can't we argue that in option D the 'Without natural predators' refers to lack of existence of natural predators in New Jersey?
Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2017, 00:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 61 posts ] 

With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap