GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Jul 2018, 10:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (00:51) correct 42% (01:24) wrong based on 2939 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000.

(A) With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have

(B) With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials' estimate of deer population in New Jersey has

(C) With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

(D) Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have

(E) Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has

Originally posted by dreamgmat1 on 08 Jul 2007, 10:46.
Last edited by GMATNinja on 02 Jul 2018, 10:51, edited 6 times in total.
Formatted the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 02:25
Choice C becos, it is the only one in which, the modifier phrase introducing the
passage genuinely modifies the intended modified noun the deer population

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2013, 01:13
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed explanation for this one? Thanks in advance!

We can solve this in under 10 seconds if we look at the inital phrase. In every option except C there are refering errors

A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have
B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that donot allow hunting, wildlife officails' estimate of deer population in New Jersey has
C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has
D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have
E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighbourhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has

I do not care about how the first part is written ("Without VS With no" etc...), about the grammar, but I know that this part refers to the deer population. Only C has this correct counstruct.
Take E for instance, it says that wildlife officials have no natural predators and so on... this is logically incorrect

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

General Discussion
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2010, 23:42
First question we should ask is - what is the introductory clause modifying?

"With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting" - it can't be wildlife officials or the deer population. This clause clearly describes the peculiarities of New Jersey. So new "New jersey" should immediately follow the clause - and so it does in (D).

Based solely on that fact we already can choose the correct answer.

And for further analysis, it's worth mentioning that "without" seems better than "with no" - therefore (A), (B) and (C) should be considered too wordy and be out
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 16:05
humm , good question

First thing - population is singular so , has should be used - A , D out

Between B , C and E B and C are modifying wildlife officials and C is modifying deer
Obviously deer is correct . Predators can not modify wildlife officials :)

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 04:56
Pkit wrote:
With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000.

A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have

B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that donot allow hunting, wildlife officails' estimate of deer population in New Jersey has

C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have

E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighbourhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has

I go for C.
This problem is a very good example of ellipsis, as explained by Kaplan. Firstly, the negation is used wrongly. It should be "....no and no..." or "...no or ....". In this sentence the negation is applied to natural predators and to expanses of green suburban neighbourhoods, which is not the intended meaning.
Secondly, parallelism calls for the use of "with" on both sides of the parallel marker. Thirdly, "deer population" is a singular subject and requires a singular verb such as "has".
Lastly, the plural possessive noun (s') is almost always wrong on the GMAT.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2011, 05:17
The clue hers is to know what or which or who dose not have natural predators. Wildlife officials can not have predators, so dump A, B and E. New Jersey, a place also can not have predators. So drop D. What is left is C, indicating logically that the deer population has no natural predators and that is the obvious choice

Narendran +9198845 44509

Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2012, 15:37
Answer (C) is not a case of the double negative. Each ‘no’ occurs in different dependent clauses. The first ‘no’ relates to the absence of natural predators and the second ‘no’ relates to the absence of hunting.

As for the explanation, daagh does a very succinct job of explaining the modifier problem.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Princeton Review Representative

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2013, 08:56
PTK wrote:

B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that donot allow hunting, wildlife officails' estimate of deer population in new Jersey has

There is a subject verb agreement issue at the end of the sentence. the population is singular so we need has - this eliminates A and D. B, C and D all have the same type of modifier so the way the begining is worded is not at issue adn teh different between without and with no is an issue of style, not grammar. B says that the officials estimate as grown, not the deer population so it changes the meaning and is wrong. In E the begining phrase modifies wildlife officials, not the deer population so E is wrong and C is hte best answer.

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2013, 23:09
happyinlove505 wrote:
kiranck007 wrote:
Hi,

Can you please answer my query : in choice "C" what is "wildlife officials estimate" functioning as? Modifier? Modifying what? What kind of modifier?

Thanks,
Kiran

Good question.
I discarded choice C because of this ", wildlife officials estimate,", but now it looks it was correct. But I do not understand why :)

Hi happyinlove505

"wildlife officials estimate" is clause modifier (because it has both subject and verb).

Note: Modifiers are words, phrases, or clauses that provide description in sentences.

In this question, the clause "wildlife officials estimate" plays as noun modifier. The clause modifies "the deer population". To make sure let ask what wildlife official estimate? Absolutely, they estimate the deer population.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Princeton Review Representative

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2013, 14:32
surya167 wrote:
The answer to this question is definitely not clear. Why is D not correct? Can someone who has got this correct can please explain this .. will help all of us!

"without natural preditors" is a modifier and as written, it modifies New Jersey, which is incorrect.

In C deer can have green expanses where hunting is not allowed therefore this is an appropriate modifier

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2013, 03:20
D seems to suggest that New Jersey does not have natural predators; the intent is to convey that the deer population does not have natural predators. Also, D does not seem to be very clear in meaning:

Without natural predators and (without) no hunting allowed in expanse of green suburban neighborhoods?

A better construct would have been:

Without natural predators and with no hunting allowed in expanse of green suburban neighborhoods... (though problem mentioned above about New Jersey would still have remained).

By the way, If C was:

With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials estimate that the deer population in New Jersey has grown to exceed 175,000

Again this would have suggested that wildlife officials have no natural predators : )

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2013, 12:42
deepak1990verma wrote:
Hi,

With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000

B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials' estimate of the deer population in New Jersey has

C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanse of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have

E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has

In this question I got stuck between C and D ,

Choice C says --> The deer population with no natural predators led to increase deer's population

While D says ---> New Jersey Without Natural predators led to increase deer population because there are no predators to feed on deer in New jersey .

So both meant the same , but I eliminated C for some other reason .

In C :

With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey,
Quote:
wildlife officials estimate
, has

wildlife officials estimate : Independent Clause ,Which has been joined with other I.C

(subject) (verb)

But OA is C :

Is my logic of neglecting C wrong ;I have never seen such type construction anywhere but have seen such construction with some preposition , verb+ed ,or verb+ing modifier .Hence, I thought that the above construction is I.C and neglected it .

Have I overthought it or this is also a possible construction .

Thanks, Deepak

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for posting your question here :-)

Meaning is the key to solve this one.

According to wildlife official estimate, deer population in New Jersey has grown to exceed 175,000/ What is the reason for this growth? There are two reasons mentioned in the sentence.
1. Deer in New Jersey have no natural predators.
2. Deer have expanses of green suburban neighborhood where hunting is not allowed.
Both these factors account for increase in the number of deer in New Jersey.

However, the opening modifiers in all the answer choices, except for Choice D, refer to the incorrect entity.

Now let's come to Choice C the construction of which has confused you:

Choice C: With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

One way to understand this structure is to understand the role of this clause "wildlife official estimate". What is it that they have estimated? They have estimated the deer population in New Jersey. So in essence, "wildlife official estimate" acts as a noun modifier that refers to "the deer population in New Jersey".

Look at the following example:
I will have the pizza I usually order.

This sentence may also appear to be having two independent clauses. But that is not the case. The clause "I usually order" actually modifies "the pizza". The sentence can be written as:
I will have the pizza that I usually order.

Something similar is happening in Choice C of this official question. So the clause "wildlife officials estimate" is not an independent clause but a dependent clause and hence does not lead to fragment error.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

VP
VP
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2015, 04:51
A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have\
Wildlife officials should not come after the comma instead the deer population should come as the deer population is modified here by the initial statement
B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials' estimate of the deer population in New Jersey has
Wildlife officials's estimate should not come after the comma instead the deer population should come as the deer population is modified here by the initial statement
C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has
Correct
D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanse of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have
The statement says without natural predators and without no hunting ... This does not makes sense
E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has
Wildlife officials should not come after the comma instead the deer population should come as the deer population is modified here by the initial statement

P.S. Please make sure to search for a problem before posting.
The discussion for this particular SC already exists.

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 01:09
sk5002 wrote:
Hi,

Can we have someone from the E-GMAT team respond to this?

I have the following doubts-:

1) How does the "Green expanses of suburban .. " modify deer population? New Jersey fits in well here. Though, I can beat my head around accepting that this does modify deer population but I'm not sure what would the key "takeaway" be here so that I don't make such a mistake again?

2" If I say "With no natural predators and the green expanses ....", do I need to put with in front of "the green expanses" or it's understood from the first modifier phrase? Please provide your thoughts

Thanks,
Shobhit

1. As per modifier touch rule, a modifier must touch the noun it modifies. The modifier " With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting" refers to the "deer population" since it is the noun that touches the modifier. (Although there are certain exceptions to this rule, they do not apply here - this is a clear case of modifier touch rule).

2. Consider the "once outside twice inside" rule for paralllelism:

Twice inside: (With X) and (With Y)
In this case "With" is inside both the parallel elements.

Once outside: With (X) and (Y)
In this case "With" is outside the parallelism structure. (something similar to taking common in algebraic multiplication.)

Both are correct in context of option C - one could say either:
Twice inside: (With no natural predators) and (with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting)

or:
Once outside: With (no natural predators) and (expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2016, 09:53
With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000

As per me, this question tests us on Modifiers, Subject Verb Agreement and Parallelism concepts. I have marked the errors in Red

seems as if the estimates have grown to exceed 175,000 instead of the deer population
same as A
Correct: The deer population has grown to exceed 175,000
Subject verb disagreement: New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have instead of has
Without A and With B wrong construction as compared to With A and With B.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 07:40
Top Contributor

There is no need to kneejerk on this simple question that is deceptively daunting. Just look at the modification alone. The introductory modifier should modify its most logical noun, namely 'the deer population'. cool enough?

A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have -- It is wrong to ascribe wildlife officials to the modified noun. How can wildlife official be with or without natural predators or greenery?
B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials' estimate of the deer population in New Jersey has -- The same problem as in A.

C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has -- The correct modified noun and the correct choice.
D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanse of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have-- New Jersey is a wrong modified noun as in A and B.

E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has -- The same problem. as in all other incorrect choices.

Thus, in one stroke you are at Rome.

It may be also noted that 'to have ' is not a verb; it is as an infinitive. Hence, it does not feature sub-verb element. 'have' is the base form of the verb. You will never see 'to has' in English

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 06:31
The logical meaning of the sentence:

The wild officials estimate that the population of the deer in New Jersy in the absence of a natural predator and in the presence of lush green suburban neighborhoods where hunting is prohibited has grown to exceed 175,000.

A) "With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting" modifies the wildlife officials which is a wrong construction and which goes against the logical meaning.

B) Both the modifier and the modified entity are wrong. Modifier: With no natural predators and with expenses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting; entity modified: wildlife officials' estimate

C) Logical.

D) New Jersey has no natural predator. The meaning is not correct.

E) The modifier and the modified entity are not correct. Modifier: Without natural predators and with expenses of green neighborhoods where there is no hunting; modified entity: wildlife officials.

PS: There are grammatical errors as well.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 07:42
A. ‘green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting’ - Meaning error, modifier error – Green suburban neighborhoods cannot be the ones to not allow hunting.
B. Same as A.
C. Correct.
D. SV error. S- a deer population , V- have.
E. ‘wildlife officials in New Jersey’ – estimate a deer population. Grammatically correct but changes meaning. The ‘deer population ‘of new Jersey was supposed to increase. Now we do not know where the deer population is increasing , instead we know where the officials are from.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 18:58
This question is a PERFECT example of why your first step on any sentence correction should be to ask yourself, "What is the subject of the sentence?" and then ask whether any descriptive information written before it actually refers to the subject of the sentence.

The subject of this sentence (as written) is "wildlife officials." Do wildlife officials have natural predators? NO! Deer have natural predators, so you can automatically rule out answer choice A. You are now aware that the correct answer will have to either (a) re-write the introductory information in a way that does indeed refer to the subject of the sentence we're given, or (b) change the subject of the sentence, such that the introductory information refers to the right noun. The correct answer to this particular question - answer C - does the later.

In a sentence correction question, always always always begin by asking yourself, "What is the SUBJECT of the sentence?"

http://www.crushthegmat.org

GMAT Club Bot
Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods &nbs [#permalink] 23 Nov 2018, 18:58

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap