It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 0

With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2007, 11:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (00:54) correct 46% (01:26) wrong based on 2027 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000

(A) With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have

(B) With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials' estimate of deer population in New Jersey has

(C) With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

(D) Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have

(E) Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 10 Aug 2017, 00:45, edited 3 times in total.
Formatted the question.

Kudos [?]: 25 [1], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 110 [3], given: 3

Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 00:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000

A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have
B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials' estimate of the deer population in New Jersey has
C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has
D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanse of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have
E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has

Couple of doubts:
1. With no natural predators.......Is with required with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods?
2. In option C, how the different parts of the sentence are connected?

Thanks in anticipation.
-Amit

Last edited by carcass on 02 Feb 2015, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the title of the question and formatted

Kudos [?]: 110 [3], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 161 [1], given: 69

Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 00:42
This post received
KUDOS
First question we should ask is - what is the introductory clause modifying?

"With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting" - it can't be wildlife officials or the deer population. This clause clearly describes the peculiarities of New Jersey. So new "New jersey" should immediately follow the clause - and so it does in (D).

Based solely on that fact we already can choose the correct answer.

And for further analysis, it's worth mentioning that "without" seems better than "with no" - therefore (A), (B) and (C) should be considered too wordy and be out

Kudos [?]: 161 [1], given: 69

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 01:49
Hi Shalva,

But OA is C.

Is it because,"With no natural predators ---->modifying deer population and "expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting" ---->modifying New Jersey....

With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has rown to exceed 175,000.

But still I am not sure what role 'the deer population in New Jersey' is playing between 'With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting' and 'wildlife officials estimate'.

Could you please throw some light.

thanks

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 09:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Only B and C make the sentence parallel:

With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods...

However, B changes the meaning of the sentence (widllife officials' estimate has grown vs. the deer population has grown). C is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [2], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with Carriedinterest.

I think the problem with this question is, Option C is an unusual way of writing which normally we dont in real life. Moreover, at first sight, it looks like D is a better formed sentence than C (forgetting the fact that Parallism is better in C).

Kudos [?]: 13 [2], given: 2

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 153 [3], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 17:05
This post received
KUDOS
humm , good question

First thing - population is singular so , has should be used - A , D out

Between B , C and E B and C are modifying wildlife officials and C is modifying deer
Obviously deer is correct . Predators can not modify wildlife officials :)

Always tag your question

Kudos [?]: 153 [3], given: 14

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 17:30
Hi Ichha,
Great explanation. Convinced...it should be C only...+1 from me.

Now only have one doubt if you can clear that:
Regarding the sentence structure for this right option:

With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting------>modifying deer population, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate-------->How this phrase is immediately placed after modified noun phrase 'the dear population in New Jersey' and what role it is playing in the sentence?
If you can just elaborate a bit on the sentence structure or probably a link for this would be great.

Thanks
-Amit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 17:47
Wild life officials will do the estimate or have already done the estimate
so, this modifier needs to be as close as possible to estimated number , so the meaning should be clear that it is wildlife officials who did the estimates and not deers

Now regarding the sentence structure - thats too grammatical , look at this website

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ - this will help

Always tag your question

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 36

Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2010, 08:25
Need more explanation..

thanks anyway. B is so tempting. It used both and attendance of it there is an "and" so it reminds me both..and idioms.

In D there is one difference from B which is lack of both.

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2010, 19:53
I think with 'both' the sentence should have read "......produced a body of work rooted both in the stride-piano traditions of Willie(The Lion)Smith and Duke Ellington..."

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 109 [1], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2010, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
I went with B as well.

But afterward i realized:

Correct Idiom is:
Both X and Y
OR
Both in X and in Y.

That's why B is Wrong

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Kudos [?]: 109 [1], given: 10

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 123 [1], given: 40

GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2010, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
fatihaysu wrote:
so guyz no more explanation ?? the answer is D yes but why not B?

Thelonious Monk,who was a jazz pianist and composer,produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie(The Lion)Smith and Duke Ellington,yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

B)Thelonious Monk,the jazz pianist and composer,produced a body of work that was rooted both

"Both in X and in Y" so B is incorrect! Kudo me if you can :D

Kudos [?]: 123 [1], given: 40

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2010, 05:11
fatihaysu wrote:
DAYNE wrote:
fatihaysu wrote:
so guyz no more explanation ?? the answer is D yes but why not B?

B uses the word both, which is incorrect because we are talking about one thing which is

(in the stride-piano tradition)

hmmm but there is 2 names? william and duke?

tradition is 1 thing that both musicians share

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 16

9 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7887 [9], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 03:25
This post received
KUDOS
Choice C becos, it is the only one in which, the modifier phrase introducing the
passage genuinely modifies the intended modified noun the deer population

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7887 [9], given: 363

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 101 [2], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
The starting modifier should modify deer population and not wildlife officials. So I am down with C and D.

I selected D as I felt two characteristics are desribed for 'in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods" - no predators and no hunting area.

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Kudos [?]: 101 [2], given: 9

7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 98 [7], given: 18

Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 05:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Pkit wrote:
With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000.

A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have

B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that donot allow hunting, wildlife officails' estimate of deer population in New Jersey has

C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have

E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighbourhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has

I go for C.
This problem is a very good example of ellipsis, as explained by Kaplan. Firstly, the negation is used wrongly. It should be "....no and no..." or "...no or ....". In this sentence the negation is applied to natural predators and to expanses of green suburban neighbourhoods, which is not the intended meaning.
Secondly, parallelism calls for the use of "with" on both sides of the parallel marker. Thirdly, "deer population" is a singular subject and requires a singular verb such as "has".
Lastly, the plural possessive noun (s') is almost always wrong on the GMAT.

Kudos [?]: 98 [7], given: 18

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 98 [1], given: 18

Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2010, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
Pkit wrote:
saxenashobhit wrote:
The starting modifier should modify deer population and not wildlife officials. So I am down with C and D.

I selected D as I felt two characteristics are desribed for 'in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods" - no predators and no hunting area.

I also was mislead by D.

One more reason why D is wrong because of parallelism. In D, the phrase "without" is applied to the whole main clause which goes against the meaning of the sentence. You have to use the word "with" in the second part before "no hunting..." in order to preserve the original meaning.

Kudos [?]: 98 [1], given: 18

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 7

WE 1: 4 years in IT

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2010, 04:09
D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have

Modifier error in D ...Natural predators modifies new jersey wrongly...

C is best among.

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Certified Credit Card Banking Professional

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Schools: Chicago Booth, ISB
WE 1: 6 years in IT BFSI Cards application

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2011, 08:55
I am not at all convinced as to how "With no natural predators....there is no hunting" --> modifies Deer Population ??
I was expecting the ans to be " D " because , the statement "With no natural predators...." modifies the place , which is New Jersey .

If you guys say that population is singular , hence "Have" in option D is wrong , then I did read somewhere that population can be singular OR plural depending on whether the population is being considered collectively or as individuals.

I am not 100% sure about what I am saying , but would request some more convincing answers as to why C is right ?

----------
C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

----------

[align=]- Abhishek [/align]

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2011, 08:55

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 61 posts ] 

With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap