GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2019, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 08:18
If you do not only take sentence structure into account, they are all wrong. The fact is though that only C has the correct sentence structure. In all the other answers the "with no natural predators" could refer to "the wildlife officials" or in the case of D "New Jersey".

A. Officials could be prey.
B. Officials could be prey.
C. Right sentence structure and coherence.
D. Jersey could be prey.
E. Officials could be prey.

Why is C wrong? It changes the meaning. No hunting allowed does not imply that there is no hunting. One can suggest the other, but that is making your own assumptions, which you should always avoid on GMAT.

The question should be tossed.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 22:21
With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000.

Ask yourself this question, who or what has no natural predators
Wildlife officials? Wildlife official's estimate? or the deer population.

(C) is the correct answer, focus on the correct subject the modifier is describing
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 10:19
For C it seems like " and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting" is referring to the Deer Population. Is there a specific rule for this because all of the answers seem wrong here to me as I don't see how that makes sense.
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 12:27
dreamgmat1 wrote:
Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have grown to exceed 175,000.

(A) With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have

(B) With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that do not allow hunting, wildlife officials' estimate of deer population in New Jersey has

(C) With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the deer population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has

(D) Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have

(E) Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has

Marger wrote:
For C it seems like " and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting" is referring to the Deer Population. Is there a specific rule for this because all of the answers seem wrong here to me as I don't see how that makes sense.

Marger , I do not understand exactly what you are asking.

You write that with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting "seems" as if it is referring to the deer population.
That phrase indeed refers to the deer population.

What do you mean by "this" in "Is there a specific rule for this?" This what?
I wrote a post about introductory phrases that begin with prepositions here.
In that instance the preposition was in. In this instance the preposition is with.
That post contains guidelines. Introductory prepositional phrases differ from five other kinds of introductory phrases.
Stricter rules govern the latter.

And what part, logically, does not "make sense"?

In this statement, both prepositional phrases (with + phrase) modify the subject of the sentence.

Both of the with phrases give us information that helps to unravel the meaning of the sentence.

• Meaning: The deer population in New Jersey does not contend with forces such as natural predators or hunters in hunting areas that might curb the deer population's growth, and officials estimate that the population has grown to exceed 175,000.

• WITH + phrase is a prepositional modifier

The target noun deer population in New Jersey is preceded by its prepositional descriptors (the "with" statements).

What is true of the deer population in New Jersey?
-- The deer population in New Jersey has no natural predators that would curb deer population growth.
-- The deer population in New Jersey has expanses of suburban neighborhoods in which to roam. Hunting is not allowed
in those neighborhoods, hunting that also would curb deer population growth.
-- Without curbs, the deer population has grown. Officials estimate . . .

• WITH?

Oxford Online U.S. Dictionary, here, defines with as possessing (something) as a feature or accompaniment.

Cambridge Online Dictionary, here, defines with as having or possessing (someone or something).

In this official question, here, just as is the case in this question, an introductory phrase headed by the preposition with modifies a sensible noun.

The deer population in New Jersey has no curbs on its growth; the population has no natural predators and has roaming areas in which hunting is not allowed.

-- Awkward rewrite: Wildlife officials estimate that the deer population in New Jersey, with no natural predators [that might curb population growth] and with habitats in which to roam where no hunting is allowed [hunting that might curb population growth], has grown to exceed 175,000.
-- The with-clauses are up front to avoid splitting two different subjects: wildlife officials (estimate that . . . ) and the deer population (which has grown . . .).

Sometimes "with" modification is easier to understand if the with phrase follows the subject.

Example from Oxford dictionary cited above:
After all, people with money and status employ other people to clean up after them.
After all, people who have money and status employ other people to clean up after them.

In the official question cited above, the first part of the sentence, not underlined, is:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities . . .
Cleveland has a plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land . . . .

• No other subject makes sense
Whose population is growing?
What noun has no natural predators in New Jersey?

Wildlife officials, as in options A, B, and E?
No.

New Jersey, as in option D?
No.

The deer population in New Jersey has no natural predators (and has areas in which to roam where hunting is not allowed).
The deer population has grown because it has no or few curbs on its growth.

Hope that explanation helps.

There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle. -- Einstein
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 04:43
generis wrote:

And what part, logically, does not "make sense"?

In this statement, both prepositional phrases (with + phrase) modify the subject of the sentence.

Both of the with phrases give us information that helps to unravel the meaning of the sentence.

• Meaning: The deer population in New Jersey does not contend with forces such as natural predators or hunters in hunting areas that might curb the deer population's growth, and officials estimate that the population has grown to exceed 175,000.

• WITH + phrase is a prepositional modifier

The target noun deer population in New Jersey is preceded by its prepositional descriptors (the "with" statements).

What is true of the deer population in New Jersey?
-- The deer population in New Jersey has no natural predators that would curb deer population growth.
-- The deer population in New Jersey has expanses of suburban neighborhoods in which to roam. Hunting is not allowed
in those neighborhoods, hunting that also would curb deer population growth.
-- Without curbs, the deer population has grown. Officials estimate . . .

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I shortened your quote to clarify which part I am referring to.

My question surrounds the "expanses of suburban neighborhoods". If we add in "in which to roam" then I agree it makes perfect sense but without that I don't see how we can infer that is the authors intention. "With expanses of suburban neighborhoods" seems to me that it is referring to a location that has expanses of suburban neighborhoods, a deer population cannot have suburban neighborhoods. I expect this phrase to need to refer to a location such as New Jersey. To me for it to be clear that the intention is for the sentence to mean "suburban neighborhoods in which to roam" the "in which to roam" part must be included, otherwise I feel this is not clear and is poor English.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2019, 01:48
Hi,

I want to understand why option D is incorrect?
In option C, "Expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting" cannot modify "deer population" in my opinion. This phrase modifies a place, and hence option D seems correct.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 11:09
Zarrolou wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed explanation for this one? Thanks in advance!

We can solve this in under 10 seconds if we look at the inital phrase. In every option except C there are refering errors

A. With no natural predators and expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting, wildlife officials estimate the New Jersey deer population to have
B. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods that donot allow hunting, wildlife officails' estimate of deer population in New Jersey has
C. With no natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighborhoods where there is no hunting, the Deer Population in New Jersey, wildlife officials estimate, has
D. Without natural predators and no hunting allowed in expanses of green suburban neighborhoods, New Jersey has a deer population that wildlife officials estimate to have
E. Without natural predators and with expanses of green suburban neighbourhoods where there is no hunting, wildlife officials in New Jersey estimate a deer population that has

I do not care about how the first part is written ("Without VS With no" etc...), about the grammar, but I know that this part refers to the deer population. Only C has this correct counstruct.
Take E for instance, it says that wildlife officials have no natural predators and so on... this is logically incorrect

I rejected C, because of a slight difference in meaning from the given sentence.
The given sentence says - "....neighborhood that donot allow hunting.......", whereas option C says - ".......neighborhoods where there is no hunting...."

As per my understanding of the sentence correction question, the correct option should capture the exact meaning of the given sentence logically and grammatically, which is not happening here 100%.

Can you please guide me, and correct my thought process, if incorrect?

Thanks !
Shivam
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2019, 11:06
A. ‘green suburban neighborhoods that allow no hunting' - Meaning error, modifier error – Green suburban
neighborhoods cannot be the ones to not allow hunting. + the beginning part of the sentence modifies wildlife officials
B. Same as A.
C. Correct.
D. SV error. S- a deer population , V- have. + ‘New Jersey has a deer population..’ changes the original meaning of the sentence.
E. + the beginning part of the sentence modifies wildlife officials .
‘wildlife officials in New Jersey’ – estimate a deer population. Grammatically correct but changes meaning. The ‘deer population ‘of new Jersey was supposed to increase. Now we do not know where the deer population is increasing, instead we know where the officials are from.

Answer C[/b][/b]
GMAT Club Bot
Re: With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2019, 11:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

With no natural predators and expenses of green suburban neighborhoods

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics