Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32946 [2]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: With the evolution of terrestrial life about 400 million years ago, [#permalink]
Kudos
1. According to the author, pollen grains that would have the greatest dispersal range would have which of the following characteristics?

...the pollen grains of wind-pollinated plants are smooth and dry, to avoid clumping and precipitating,
The rate at which pollen settles is dictated principally by the size and density of the grain. The slower the settlement rate, the greater the dispersal range. Numerous species reduce the density of pollen grains with air cavities in their walls.There is a limit, however, to the lower range of pollen size. ( greatest dispersal is related with small size and low density)

I. Small size
II. Dryness
III. Low-density

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

2. If rainfall levels in a particular growing season were abnormally high, it is most reasonable to conclude, based on the passage, that the

Pollen release is often tied to the recognition of unambiguous environmental clues; thus, many plants will not release pollen when wind speeds are low or while humid conditions exist,

A. amount of pollen released by wind-pollinated species would be less than normal because of sophisticated mechanisms tied to environmental clues -> More rain-> humid condition-> less pollen release
B. amount of pollen released by wind-pollinated species would be greater than normal to compensate for the greater resulting pollen loss
C. pollen-to-ovule ratios of wind-pollinated species would be unaffected by the change in weather
D. amount of seed produced and released by wind-pollinated species would be greater than normal
E. amount of pollination carried by insect pollinators would remain unchanged

3. According to the passage, all the following mechanisms serve to reduce pollen loss in wind-pollinated plants EXCEPT:

A. development of a large specially shaped stigma -> mentioned in the last part of the first paragraph
B. retention of pollen within the male organ when weather conditions are not conducive to dispersal -> There is nothing about male organ in the passage
C. growth of plants in large populations with few species ->mentioned in the last part of the first paragraph
D. development of intricate mechanisms to prevent self-pollination -> mentioned in the last part of the second paragraph
E. efficient design of the airborne pollen grain -> mentioned in the middle part of the second paragraph

4. The author’s attitude towards textbooks that describe wind pollination as “primitive” is best described as one of

While wind pollination is usually considered a “primitive” feature by textbooks, recent research has, in fact, shown that several remarkably sophisticated mechanisms for dispersal and capture are characteristic of wind-pollinated plants.

A. reasoned rejection
B. tempered uncertainty (No uncertainty, there is direct contrast present in second paragraph)
C. vehement disagreement ->Extreme
D. mild displeasure
E. complete support -> Completely opposite
Between options A and D, I choose option A, as the use of different tone in second paragraph shows us contrast.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Re: With the evolution of terrestrial life about 400 million years ago, [#permalink]
Ranasaymon wrote:
1. According to the author, pollen grains that would have the greatest dispersal range would have which of the following characteristics?

...the pollen grains of wind-pollinated plants are smooth and dry, to avoid clumping and precipitating,
The rate at which pollen settles is dictated principally by the size and density of the grain. The slower the settlement rate, the greater the dispersal range. Numerous species reduce the density of pollen grains with air cavities in their walls.There is a limit, however, to the lower range of pollen size. ( greatest dispersal is related with small size and low density)

I. Small size
II. Dryness
III. Low-density

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

2. If rainfall levels in a particular growing season were abnormally high, it is most reasonable to conclude, based on the passage, that the

Pollen release is often tied to the recognition of unambiguous environmental clues; thus, many plants will not release pollen when wind speeds are low or while humid conditions exist,

A. amount of pollen released by wind-pollinated species would be less than normal because of sophisticated mechanisms tied to environmental clues -> More rain-> humid condition-> less pollen release
B. amount of pollen released by wind-pollinated species would be greater than normal to compensate for the greater resulting pollen loss
C. pollen-to-ovule ratios of wind-pollinated species would be unaffected by the change in weather
D. amount of seed produced and released by wind-pollinated species would be greater than normal

3. According to the passage, all the following mechanisms serve to reduce pollen loss in wind-pollinated plants EXCEPT:

A. development of a large specially shaped stigma -> mentioned in the last part of the first paragraph
B. retention of pollen within the male organ when weather conditions are not conducive to dispersal -> There is nothing about male organ in the passage
C. growth of plants in large populations with few species ->mentioned in the last part of the first paragraph
D. development of intricate mechanisms to prevent self-pollination -> mentioned in the last part of the second paragraph
E. efficient design of the airborne pollen grain -> mentioned in the middle part of the second paragraph

4. The author’s attitude towards textbooks that describe wind pollination as “primitive” is best described as one of

While wind pollination is usually considered a “primitive” feature by textbooks, recent research has, in fact, shown that several remarkably sophisticated mechanisms for dispersal and capture are characteristic of wind-pollinated plants.

A. reasoned rejection
B. tempered uncertainty (No uncertainty, there is direct contrast present in second paragraph)
D. mild displeasure
Between options A and D, I choose option A, as the use of different tone in second paragraph shows us contrast.

I still feel that in 3rd question, option D is the most suitable because "development of intricate mechanisms to prevent self-pollination" is used just as an example of an intricate mechanism while on the other hand there is a statement in the passage that says the pollens are released only when the conditions are conducive. Also there is an instance in the passage where it states "plants moved male sex cells",
That is why I have my fair share of doubts on option B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
41396302717 wrote:
Ranasaymon wrote:

I. Small size
II. Dryness
III. Low-density

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

A. reasoned rejection
D. mild displeasure

I still feel that in 3rd question, option D is the most suitable because "development of intricate mechanisms to prevent self-pollination" is used just as an example of an intricate mechanism while on the other hand there is a statement in the passage that says the pollens are released only when the conditions are conducive. Also there is an instance in the passage where it states "plants moved male sex cells",

But retention does not take place at all. All we know is that voluntarily the plant avoids the release of pollens in X condition but they fall therefore retention doesn't take place.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
With the evolution of terrestrial life about 400 million years ago, [#permalink]
41396302717 wrote:
Ranasaymon wrote:

I. Small size
II. Dryness
III. Low-density

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

A. reasoned rejection
D. mild displeasure

Check the very first sentence, With the evolution of terrestrial life about 400 million years ago, wind replaced water as the primary vector by which plants moved male sex cells Water was the primary vector through which plants moved,not retained males sex cells. Now, Wind is the primary vector.

Now check this, many plants will not release pollen when wind speeds are low or while humid conditions exist, which might cause pollen grains to clump and fall. The devices that operate to prevent self-pollination are also at times extremely intricate. What is the self pollination? It is a process given in the highlighted part. And it is not an example, rather it tells us about the feature, intricacy, of pollination.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
With the evolution of terrestrial life about 400 million years ago, [#permalink]
Kudos
My solutions

I. Small size ("The rate at which pollen settles is dictated principally by the size and density of the grain. The slower the settlement rate, the greater the dispersal range. Numerous species reduce the density of pollen grains with air cavities in their walls. There is a limit, however, to the lower range of pollen size.")

II. Dryness (In passage 1 the author states: "Unlike the sticky pollen grains of plants pollinated by insects, the pollen grains of wind-pollinated plants are smooth and dry" However, he does not say anything about how this characteristic might be influencing the dispersal range of the pollen)

III. Low-density (see I.)

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

2. If rainfall levels in a particular growing season were abnormally high, it is most reasonable to conclude, based on the passage, that the...

A. amount of pollen released by wind-pollinated species would be less than normal because of sophisticated mechanisms tied to environmental clues
("many plants will not release pollen when wind speeds are low or while humid conditions exist" rain = (more than) humid condition)

3.According to the passage, all the following mechanisms serve to reduce pollen loss in wind-pollinated plants EXCEPT:

A. development of a large specially shaped stigma
--> "and the stigma of the female plant is large and sticky, the better to catch any floating pollen grains"

B. retention of pollen within the male organ when weather conditions are not conducive to dispersal
--> "many plants will not release pollen when wind speeds are low or while humid conditions exist"
--> we can assume that the male organ would release these pollen

C. growth of plants in large populations with few species
--> "...other large, near-monocultural populations."
--> "large populations" is specifically mentioned, while "near-monocultural" refers to the fact that there are "few species"

D. development of intricate mechanisms to prevent self-pollination
--> "The devices that operate to prevent self-pollination are also at times extremely intricate."
--> This is not a mechanism to reduce pollen loss. The text only says that there are also devices, that operate to prevent slf-pollination.

E. efficient design of the airborne pollen grain
--> "the pollen grains of wind-pollinated plants are smooth and dry, to avoid clumping and precipitating"

A. reasoned rejection
--> "recent research has, in fact, shown that several remarkably sophisticated mechanisms"
--> he does not "vehemently" disagree or expresses displeasure; rather he rejects the term by reasoning, more specifically here with a "recent research"

B. tempered uncertainty
C. vehement disagreement
D. mild displeasure
E. complete support
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1279
Send PM
I am bit confused with the Question 3

It mentions: " Pollen release is often tied to the recognition of unambiguous environmental clues; thus, many plants will not release pollen when wind speeds are low or while humid conditions exist, which might cause pollen grains to clump and fall. "

Doesn't it makes sense that this mechanisms serve for pollens to fall and loss, how does this reduce pollen loss in wind-pollinated plants ?

Doesn't it supports answer option B. Sajjad1994
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts