Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [9]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: X: In order to reduce the amount of plastic in landfills, legislatures [#permalink]
how can I deal with this type of question, to me, C should be the better answer.
Please help me with this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: X: In order to reduce the amount of plastic in landfills, legislatures [#permalink]
chesstitans wrote:
how can I deal with this type of question, to me, C should be the better answer.

Hi chesstitans,
Could you tell more why C should be the better answer than A?
I think in option C, Y didn't mean to blame for the large amount of plastic in landfills to legislators. Y's concern is about safety feature that plastic offers.

I hope that helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
tanzzt wrote:
chesstitans wrote:

Hi chesstitans,
Could you tell more why C should be the better answer than A?
I think in option C, Y didn't mean to blame for the large amount of plastic in landfills to legislators. Y's concern is about safety feature that plastic offers.

I hope that helps.

that was my thinking months ago, now I still cannot understand why A is the answer. I doubt that this question comes from a reliable source. I agree that A is the best left, but there is no information in the passage about other materials.
I believe A is an important pattern, but I am not so 100% sure.

btw, what is the source of this quesiton?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Abhishek009 wrote:
Sash143 wrote:
X: In order to reduce the amount of plastic in landfills, legislatures should impose a ban on the use of plastics for packaging goods.

Y: Impossible! Plastic packaging is necessary for public safety. Consumers will lose all of the safety features that plastic offers, chiefly tamper-resistant closures and shatterproof bottles.
Which of the following best describes the weak point in Y's response to X's proposal?

A. Y ignores the possibility that packaging goods in materials other than plastic might provide the same safety features that packaging in plastic offers.

B. The economic disadvantages of using plastics as a means of packaging goods are not taken into consideration.
C. Y attempts to shift the blame for the large amount of plastic in landfills from the users of plastic packaging to the legislators.
D. Y does not consider the concern of some manufacturers that safety features spoil package appearances.
E. Y wrongly assumes that X defends the interests of the manufacturers rather than the interests of the consumers.

Straight with option (A)

Plz feel free to revert in case of any doubt , will be more than happy to reply !!

Hi Abhishek,

Please explain why option E is incorrect and what does it mean exactly.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
I don't understand why E is wrong too
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts