GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale vs. Sloan

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.66
Yale vs. Sloan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 08:32
Hi all,

I'm incredibly grateful to have been accepted to my top two schools, but now need to decide which will be "the one."

I received a Dean's Scholarship from Sloan for $50k and nothing from Yale.

I'm interested in social impact within the private sector -- in particular, creating sustainable supply chains and business models from a human capital standpoint, and especially promoting female-owned SMEs in developing countries. I know both schools are strong in social impact and sustainability, but is one better than the other for my particular interest?

In general, a strong, tight-knit and collaborative community is important to me. For example, I love that SOM does "closing bell" every Thursday after class. Does Sloan have something similar where the whole community comes together every week?

In terms of academics, I have a total liberal arts background. I like the idea of showing the world that, despite my background, I can still deal with numbers, but I've heard Sloan is particularly quant-heavy. Anyone have experience at Sloan from a liberal arts background?

From what I saw when visiting, I loved both communities - both in terms of people and location. I just got the call from Sloan this morning, but have been going back and forth on what I would do if I was lucky enough to get into both...I would love any guidance and happy to provide more info on myself if helpful!

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q161 V169
Re: Yale vs. Sloan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 12:09
allenbecky8 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm incredibly grateful to have been accepted to my top two schools, but now need to decide which will be "the one."

I received a Dean's Scholarship from Sloan for $50k and nothing from Yale.

I'm interested in social impact within the private sector -- in particular, creating sustainable supply chains and business models from a human capital standpoint, and especially promoting female-owned SMEs in developing countries. I know both schools are strong in social impact and sustainability, but is one better than the other for my particular interest?

In general, a strong, tight-knit and collaborative community is important to me. For example, I love that SOM does "closing bell" every Thursday after class. Does Sloan have something similar where the whole community comes together every week?

In terms of academics, I have a total liberal arts background. I like the idea of showing the world that, despite my background, I can still deal with numbers, but I've heard Sloan is particularly quant-heavy. Anyone have experience at Sloan from a liberal arts background?

From what I saw when visiting, I loved both communities - both in terms of people and location. I just got the call from Sloan this morning, but have been going back and forth on what I would do if I was lucky enough to get into both...I would love any guidance and happy to provide more info on myself if helpful!

Thanks!

Are you kidding? Go to Sloan! They gave you money, and it is freaking MIT. Liberal Arts Background + Tech Genius School = More career options. Shouldn't you go to the school that is guaranteed to give you in-demand quant skills that you can apply anywhere, including in the development sector?

Besides, the whole tight-knight community is present at a lot of schools, Sloan being one of them. Would you pay $50,000 for the experience of having weekly community meetings in business school? Would you pay ~$700 a week for closing bell (whatever that is)? That's what you're doing by going to SOM. Unless there is another reason you prefer SOM?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 13:09
Congratulations! What an awesome problem to have :)

I actually like Yale's community a bit more than Sloan's, but in your case, Sloan makes so much more sense. If you are worried about academics/workload, perhaps reach out to current students? I'm sure there are plenty of non-traditional candidates at Sloan too.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 15:21
Congratulations!!! Two great schools.

I think Sloan has a better location/opportunity for networking and quality of life. The Yale SOM program is still getting there while Sloan is a larger and more mature program with likely more recruiting events. Employers have a lot more reasons to come to Boston than New Haven.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 16:02
allenbecky8 wrote:
Hi all,

In light of your goal, i would support MIT. You will find huge resources about supply chain and business models. MIT has the edge about that topic and you will find resources and professors, labs,..etc for your career.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 20:33
In terms of brand name, both are very well known around the world: which has more equity depends on the region you're interested in.

In terms of your topic of interest: MIT is very well known for its supply-chain expertise, while Yale, as a relatively new program, is primarily known for the number of students going to non-profit organizations.

In terms of resources beyond what's offered in the classroom: MIT is ONE of the best things about the Boston/Cambridge area, and cross-campus access to HBS definitely opens up networking opportunities in events that aren't hosted by MIT alone. Yale is The best thing about New Haven, imho. That's not necessarily a good thing, you need to take this into consideration carefully.

Taking the above into consideration, along with the scholarship offer from Sloan, if it were me, I'd choose Sloan.
GMAT Club Bot
Yale vs. Sloan &nbs [#permalink] 19 Dec 2017, 20:33

Yale vs. Sloan

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap