Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Modifiersx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
hedgehuglove wrote:
Please help! Is the first sentence "Yellow jacket......" the legendary Nominative absolute or absolute phrase that can be added in front or at the end of the sentence to modify WASP? That is why the sentence is not a run on and not making "...social wasp, wasp..." weird?
No. That is the main subject-verb pair. The second wasps that you see is the one that is a modifier (for social wasps).

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kritikumari, I don't think the they (plural) is ambiguous. It's wrong, because the actual meaning is that it is the society (singular) that consists.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatwarriorju20 wrote:
hey GMATNinja could you please explain why option E is wrong

The first issue with (E) is the parallelism, as described in this post (and others).

Yes, we can use ", and" to connect two independent clauses. But if that's the case here, the first of those independent clauses is: "Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized." See the problem there? We would need to replace the comma between "cooperative" and "organized" with an "and" (just as you'd write "Tim likes to eat pizza and bagels," not "Tim likes to eat pizza, bagels").

The other problem with (E) is the "-ing" modifier, "living in a society..." What does that modify? At first glance, it seems to modify the entire preceding clause ("Yellow jackets number..."). Are we trying to say that just yellow jackets live in such societies? Nope -- we're trying to say that social wasps in general live in such societies.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
GMATNinja wrote:
sahilbhatia21 wrote:
GMATNinja

The usage of relative pronoun 'which' whenever appears to modify incorrectly/ambiguously, has always been highlighted in the official guide explanations.

But while i was going through the explanation of this very question , the official guide didn't not identify the usage as incorrect. (It just didn't address 'which' for options C and D)

The little i have understood about the usage of 'which' is that it modifies preceding Noun or sometimes even far of nouns, but it does not modify the entire clause.

As per me, I would have eliminated 'which means ' on the basis of usage and abiguity.

Could you please Explain for this little finding of mine in regard to the Official Guide?

For starters, the official guide explanations were written years -- and often a couple of decades -- after the original question was created. So the OG explanations often aren't a great reflection of the question-writers' intent, and in general, it's worth taking those explanations with a grain of salt.

In this case, the test for whether "which" is correct is twofold:

1) Is the modifier beginning with "which" reasonably close to the noun it modifies?
    2) Does the verb in the modifier agree in number with the noun it describes?

With that in mind, take another look at the relevant portion in (C): "Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society." The verb "means" is singular, so we know that the phrase beginning with "which" needs to modify a singular noun. But there aren't any singular nouns that "which" could possibly modify, so (C) is incorrect. (D) has the exact same problem.

And yes, you're correct that in most cases, "which" should modify the nearest noun. That's not a strict rule, though: as long as "which" modifies a nearby noun, it can be OK -- but the modifier needs to actually make sense and adhere to basic subject-verb agreement rules. And in (C) and (D), it simply doesn't.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja - Love that test, as there is often a lot of confusion around the use of "which". I wonder if this test can applied to any other modifiers as well?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
xxxpbxxx wrote:
GMATNinja

Could you please help:

"Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps,"_________
Isn't the subject here yellow jackets, instead of wasps?
And, isn't : of the world’s social wasps, a prepositional phrase?
Based on the same, would options A, B starting with wasps refer to the correct subject?

Here, have an example:

"Tim is fond of vintage clothing, clothing that cannot be found at any retail stores."

The phrase "clothing that cannot be found..." clearly describes "vintage clothing," not the subject of the sentence ("Tim").

The same is true in (A) and (B). There is no need for the modifier after the comma to describe the subject of the sentence. In fact, that would be awfully confusing -- if we wanted to modify the subject, we would probably want to stick the modifier right after "yellow jackets". The word "wasps" is repeated to indicate that the comma-separated modifier is giving us more information about the "social wasps" mentioned just before the modifier.

I hope that helps!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Hi EducationAisle

In option E, doesn't the pronoun "it" refers to society ? It makes sense too as it gives us the information that the society consists of all females.

No problem with "it".

E is not parallel. Notice that E says:

....a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all females

So, the sentence is: a society that is X, Y, and Z.

X: highly cooperative
Y: organized, and
Z: it consists of almost all females

X, Y, and Z are not grammatically similar here: X and Y are adjective phrases, while Z is an entire clause.

Phrases and clauses are generally not parallel.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mansha1412 wrote:
Is THAT also used to modify noun/ pronoun?[/b]

Hi Mansha, "that", when used as a relative pronoun, will always modify a noun or a noun phrase.

For example:

This is the car that I drive.

"that" is modifying the noun "car".

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses modifier issues of "that", their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Mansha1412 wrote:
Experts, 1 Quick question : Is THAT also used to modify noun/ pronoun?

Quick answer: Yes!
"That" has various uses, one of them is being used as a relative pronoun. Relative pronouns such as that, which, who, whom refer to nouns/pronouns.
    Who: Refers to a person (as the verb’s subject)
    Whom: Refers to a person (as the verb’s object)
    Which: Refers to an animal or thing
    What: Refers to a nonliving thing
    That: Refers to a person, animal, or thing
You can read more about the usage of that by Clicking here.

Hope it helps.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PyjamaScientist wrote:
That: Refers to a person, animal, or thing

Would be interesting to see an example in which that is referring to a person.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Experts,

I am trying to find the actual and strong reason why (A) is wrong.
Although "they" may be ambiguous, "they" can logically refer to wasps because we are talking about wasps and "wasps" is the nearest noun.

However. pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule. I'm not sure whether stronger reason to eliminate (A) is that "wasp consist almost entirely of females - the queen and her sterile female workers" doesn't make sense. (Hey, wasps should consist of Male and Female!) It should be a society that consists of ____
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

I am trying to find the actual and strong reason why (A) is wrong.
Although "they" may be ambiguous, "they" can logically refer to wasps because we are talking about wasps and "wasps" is the nearest noun.

However. pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule. I'm not sure whether stronger reason to eliminate (A) is that "wasp consist almost entirely of females - the queen and her sterile female workers" doesn't make sense. (Hey, wasps should consist of Male and Female!) It should be a society that consists of ____

The explanation about the modifier "where" above is a great one.

There is another issue I could point out, though it's not as clear as that one. If we allow 'they' to clearly refer to the 'wasps,' the meaning is strange: "The wasps consist almost entirely of females."

'consists' means to be 'made up of.' So this is saying "The wasps (themselves) are made up of females." I want to say the GROUP of wasps (or, here, the 'society' of wasps) is made up of females. The wasps themselves are made up of... wasp body parts and organs and stuff.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy

Send PM
B: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of...

Isn't this a run-on sentence?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20719 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.

A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all

Quote:
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.

GMATNinja It sounds odd to say social wasps, wasps that live. Could you clarify the modifier in this problem?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.

A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
It's the society that consists of females, not "wasps" consist of females.

B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
cooperative and organized are parallel
consisting correctly modifies society

E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all

Not sure the exact error in (C) & (D) but I'm going to take a shot at them

C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
society, almost all females. There are no modifiers describing society. "almost all female" doesn't make sense.

D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely

their society: wasps' society or Yellow jackets' society ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
I agree with answer and explanation. But what my previous knowledge tell me about absolute phrase is as below.
Independent clause, noun + verb-ed/ing.
noun + verb-ed/ing is absolute phrase.
Now with my understanding I rewrite this sentence in following manner.
wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of

Please appraise my understanding. And let me know where I am wrong to get clarity in concept.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
Send PM
GMATNinja

The usage of relative pronoun 'which' whenever appears to modify incorrectly/ambiguously, has always been highlighted in the official guide explanations.

But while i was going through the explanation of this very question , the official guide didn't not identify the usage as incorrect. (It just didn't address 'which' for options C and D)

The little i have understood about the usage of 'which' is that it modifies preceding Noun or sometimes even far of nouns, but it does not modify the entire clause.

As per me, I would have eliminated 'which means ' on the basis of usage and abiguity.

Could you please Explain for this little finding of mine in regard to the Official Guide?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
Send PM
Actually, GMAC allows "where" to be used for societies, https://gmatclub.com/forum/many-population-studies-have-linked-a-high-salt-diet-to-high-rates-of-49782.html.

E)
"Living" implies that this is happening right now -- or during the timeframe of the sentence, whenever that might be -- but not necessarily at other times.
"That live" implies a general/permanent fact.
This sentence is clearly trying to give a general description of the way wasps live, so "that live" is better. -- Ron
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts