GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 16:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 04:28
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females--the queen and her sterile female workers.

A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all

I chose E, but OG says and it consists violates the parallelism of the three descriptions.how come?i know that both cooperative and organized are parallel(these adjectives modify "society"), but dosen't "comma+and" introduce a new and independent clasue? what's wrong with that?besides, "it" refers clearly to "society". please correct me if im wrong.
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 04:12
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females--the queen and her sterile female workers.

A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all

Quote:
I chose E, but OG says and it consists violates the parallelism of the three descriptions.how come?i know that both cooperative and organized are parallel(these adjectives modify "society"), but dosen't "comma+and" introduce a new and independent clasue? what's wrong with that?besides, "it" refers clearly to "society". please correct me if im wrong.

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps,
living in a society that is
  • highly cooperative,
  • organized, and
  • it consists of almost all females--
the queen and her sterile female workers.

don't u think it is redundant. since 3rd item of the list is not parallel in terms with 1st and 2nd items of the list. even if it is removed that is consists of phrase is still incorrect.

I hope this helps :)

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2016, 04:50
The part of the sentence that starts with “wasps living …’ in A and ‘wasps that live…’ in B are both called resumptive modifiers, a legal way of expressing modifiers. Per se, a modifier need not be a full clause with a verb. It can be a noun + a present participle that modifies the noun that it is touching as in A or a noun + a relative clause the touches the noun wasps as in B. Both choices do not pose any grammatical problems as such. The problem lies in the pronoun ‘where’ referring to a non-physical entity such as society.

A is, therefore, suspect. C and D, of course, suffer the relative pronoun touch rule problem. E has the singular pronoun ‘it’ referring to the plural yellow jackets.
B survives the pronoun reference ordeal.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 09:58
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.

C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all - Incorrect - Refer that "Yellow jackets which means"
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely. Incorrect - Refer that "Yellow jackets which means"
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all - It is ambiguous

Good luck
=========================================================================================
"If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck"
"If this post helps you on your GMAT journey, drop a +1 Kudo "

"Thursdays with Ron - Consolidated Verbal Master List - Updated"

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 23:54
I am very much depress,I will suicide soon..

I am alone,studying from past 1 year..

I have no future in my company now as I neglect my work in office so that I can get the time
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 00:07
kolheanup wrote:
I am very much depress,I will suicide soon..

I am alone,studying from past 1 year..

I have no future in my company now as I neglect my work in office so that I can get the time

My friend, don't get depressed. If you are not able to prepare well or not improving, I think you MUST change your strategy.

Also, You must first sit and decide whether you need to go for an MBA or not. There are multiple options that you could have other than MBA.

So, its worth deciding that first and then proceed. Being in a dilemma will not take you anywhere and will only have your time wasted.

So, reach out to a counselor and find out what you need in life first.

If you wanna know how to work on MBA part while improving from your past experiences, you should talk to experts. We have so many experts here on the forum. Go ahead and ask anyone. People here are too helpful.

Though, I am not an expert, you can PM me if you need any help. :)

But make sure you have a goal in mind first. Decide your Goal first and then focus only on Fish's eye. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 19:08
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.

Quote:
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.

GMATNinja It sounds odd to say social wasps, wasps that live. Could you clarify the modifier in this problem?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 10:43
hazelnut wrote:

GMATNinja It sounds odd to say social wasps, wasps that live. Could you clarify the modifier in this problem?

Hi hazelnut , "wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of" is called an absolute phrase modifier. It is modifying the "social wasps".

Here "wasps" is a noun and "that live .... " is modifier that modifies the noun "wasps".

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 15:06
Quote:

abhimahna wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

Hi hazelnut , "wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of" is called an absolute phrase modifier. It is modifying the "social wasps".

Here "wasps" is a noun and "that live .... " is modifier that modifies the noun "wasps".

Thanks abhimahna! As explained earlier in the thread by daagh, choice (B) uses a resumptive modifier--a modifier that repeats a key word and provides additional information or description (just like in this sentence!). Although this might sound awkward to the ear, it is an acceptable construction.

Rather than worry too much about this construction, make sure you understand why the other choices need to be eliminated!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 10:43

A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of - "they" refers to what, is not clear + "they" if referring to "wasps" will mean that "wasps consist almost entirely.." is incorrect, it is the "society" that "consist almost entirelY.."
B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of - BEST CHOICE, corrects the relation b/2 society and "consists entirely of.."
C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all - "which" refers to "social wasps" making this option unclear + "almost all" describes what
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely - "their" reference and "it" reference is unclear + "it is" violates parallilsm
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all - "it" reference is not clear + "it is" violates parallelism

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 21:30
Can somebody explain what's wrong with A?
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 21:37
PraktanP wrote:
Can somebody explain what's wrong with A?

The use of pronoun ‘they’ is wrong here. They could refer back to wasps/yellow jackets but either way it doesn’t make sense because it’s the society that consists of “females...”.

Hope this helps!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 23:33

It's the society that consists of females, not "wasps" consist of females.

cooperative and organized are parallel
consisting correctly modifies society

Not sure the exact error in (C) & (D) but I'm going to take a shot at them

society, almost all females. There are no modifiers describing society. "almost all female" doesn't make sense.

their society: wasps' society or Yellow jackets' society ?
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 09:08
lary301254M7 wrote:

It's the society that consists of females, not "wasps" consist of females.

cooperative and organized are parallel
consisting correctly modifies society

Not sure the exact error in (C) & (D) but I'm going to take a shot at them

society, almost all females. There are no modifiers describing society. "almost all female" doesn't make sense.

their society: wasps' society or Yellow jackets' society ?

Hello lary301254M7,

I am not sure if your doubt still persists. Here is the explanation nonetheless. :-)

In the original sentence, the second instance of wasps has been used to refer to Yellow jackets.

Hence, in Choice E, the pronoun their can refer to wasps or Yellow jackets because wasps = Yellow jackets per the original sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 05:03
A- Where should refer to a physical place.
B- hold --> Correct
C,D- wrong usage of which, It is incorrectly referring to wasps
E - "It" --> ambiguous, apart from that "it" breaks parallelism.

Let's share some kudos together.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 08:26
daagh wrote:
A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of---- wrong because, the reference to ---they-- is ambiguous; it could be wasps, or the 900 or so species or yellow jackets; drop it. In addition, a society is gathering and not a physical place; hence society and where cannot go together.

B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of --- a good choice using the resumptive modifier wasps that repeats an already stated noun and defines it with further info.

C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all---- wrong use of ‘which’

D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely---- same as in D

E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all --- there should be fanboy ‘and’ after cooperative, because the IC --- and it consists of ----is not part of the first list.

Thanks for the explanation but can you tell me why it is the wrong usage of the word ''which''

RJ

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 14:59
Quote:
In addition, a society is gathering and not a physical place; hence society and where cannot go together.

On the GMAT, where can serve to refer to a society.
An OA in GMATPrep:
Many population studies have shown that in societies where little salt is consumed, blood pressure typically does not rise with age.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 01:09
the correct relative pronoun here could be 'In-which' ??

daagh wrote:
A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of---- wrong because, the reference to ---they-- is ambiguous; it could be wasps, or the 900 or so species or yellow jackets; drop it. In addition, a society is gathering and not a physical place; [color=#ff0000]hence society and where cannot go together.[/color] [/color]

[/color]
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 05:15
grsm wrote:
the correct relative pronoun here could be 'In-which' ?]

Sure -- in which can serve to refer to a society.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Re: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jun 2018, 05:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 45 posts ] 

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap