It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 126 [5], given: 0

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2005, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 776
Page:

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.

A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all

Kudos [?]: 126 [5], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 07:25
dominicraj wrote:
Hi Reto,

In C and D we have wrong usage of "which".

In E there is no parallelism.

In A.. "society" is an imaginary place and using "where" for it is wrong.

In B.. "that" refers to the "wasps" which also serves as the subject. consisting(verbing) rightly modifies the preceding noun "society". So B it is.

Can you put forth your reasoning more elaborately so all can benefit from it?

Regards,
Dom.

Hi Dom,

In C ,D which modifies wasp according to modifier touch rule.
Isn't it the same intended by option B.

Kindly let us know what are we missing

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 08:04
Hi kanigmat011,

You are right in saying that "which" modifies the "wasps".

However try to do a meaning analysis of the sentence. "which means" shows that whatever "which" refers to .. should be the reason/reasoning... and not the subject..

But "wasps" is the subject of the sentence.

Regards,
Dom.

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 04:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females--the queen and her sterile female workers.

A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of
B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of
C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all

I chose E, but OG says and it consists violates the parallelism of the three descriptions.how come?i know that both cooperative and organized are parallel(these adjectives modify "society"), but dosen't "comma+and" introduce a new and independent clasue? what's wrong with that?besides, "it" refers clearly to "society". please correct me if im wrong.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5472 [0], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 19:30
Arlene0504 wrote:
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females--the queen and her sterile female workers.

I chose E, but OG says and it consists violates the parallelism of the three descriptions.how come?i know that both cooperative and organized are parallel(these adjectives modify "society"), but dosen't "comma+and" introduce a new and independent clasue? what's wrong with that?besides, "it" refers clearly to "society". please correct me if im wrong.

Hi,
there is a parallelism issue..
if i have to rewrite the sentence correctly, it will be
living in a society that is highly cooperative and organized, and that consists of almost all.....

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5472 [0], given: 112

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 19:51
I got this one. I'll take a stab at explaining my reasoning. Which modifies the item just before, right? So you gotta get rid of C and D.

Living modifies the entire clause before which makes it unclear whether we're referring to yellow jackets or social wasps.

Only A and B clear up what the reference is. Between those two B is parallel: number...live, but A says: number...living. Not parallel.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 866 [2], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS

Quote:

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps,
living in a society that is
  • highly cooperative,
  • organized, and
  • it consists of almost all females--
the queen and her sterile female workers.

don't u think it is redundant. since 3rd item of the list is not parallel in terms with 1st and 2nd items of the list. even if it is removed that is consists of phrase is still incorrect.

I hope this helps :)

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 866 [2], given: 75

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 65

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2015, 21:27

In the original sentence, following relations are there:
they -------> wasps
where ----------> society
living ------------> wasps

where they consist almost entirely of females--the queen and her sterile female workers------------> is a clause that modifies society.

The original sentence has number error with respect to 'They'.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 65

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 137

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 11:06
DLMD wrote:
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.

OA is B
Everyone pointed at the usage of 'where' in A as wrong, however I think the bigger blunder is usage of 'wasps living'. There is no verb that connects this phrase and the sentence ends abruptly.
So A is out.

The subject of the statement is Yellow jackets, technically 'which' would refer to 'world's social wasps', but we see that its followed by 'means' which makes it totally wordy. C and D are out!

E says - Yellow jackets living in a society 'that'. This introduces a subordinate clause and the main clause 'living in a society' is lost! OUT!

B is correct and doesnt have any of these issues!

Its not over..

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 137

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 23:39
B is the correct answer. In the sentence " social wasps, wasps..." The second 'wasp' is defining that social wasps are, hence correct. I do agree that it might sound odd, but it is correct.

Here is an example of something similar:
"Seamen distinguish flotsam, goods floating on seawater after a shipwreck from jetsam, goods thrown overboard by the crew of a ship."

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 118

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7900 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2016, 04:50
The part of the sentence that starts with “wasps living …’ in A and ‘wasps that live…’ in B are both called resumptive modifiers, a legal way of expressing modifiers. Per se, a modifier need not be a full clause with a verb. It can be a noun + a present participle that modifies the noun that it is touching as in A or a noun + a relative clause the touches the noun wasps as in B. Both choices do not pose any grammatical problems as such. The problem lies in the pronoun ‘where’ referring to a non-physical entity such as society.

A is, therefore, suspect. C and D, of course, suffer the relative pronoun touch rule problem. E has the singular pronoun ‘it’ referring to the plural yellow jackets.
B survives the pronoun reference ordeal.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7900 [0], given: 363

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 94

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2016, 09:58

C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all - Incorrect - Refer that "Yellow jackets which means"
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely. Incorrect - Refer that "Yellow jackets which means"
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all - It is ambiguous

Good luck
=========================================================================================
"If a street performer makes you stop walking, you owe him a buck"
"If this post helps you on your GMAT journey, drop a +1 Kudo "

"Thursdays with Ron - Consolidated Verbal Master List - Updated"

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 94

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2016, 14:31
DLMD wrote:
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

OG16 SC112

Here, the correct answer is B. Someone says that C is wrong because of pronoun ambiguity. In C, 'they' may refer either 'Yellow Jackets' or 'wasps'. So, HOW be I sure that "C" is wrong exactly for WHAT?
Thanks expert...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 179

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 283

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 15:17
I vote for B

A. wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of --> where is incorrectly used
B. wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of --> Correct; parallelism
C. which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all --> parallelism is not present and we are unsure who 'they' is referring to
D. which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely --> it is ambiguous
E. living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all --> wrong word to place after comma & it leaves room for ambiguity again

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 283

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 23:51
Not able to understand this question.
I sometimes think Is it worth to waste so much time in English and Quant for MBA...

From past 1 year,i neither went home or out of my city,I degrade my office performance so that I can get enough time ..

and even if we get the Masters,we can only make our wife and children happy..

Our parents will suffer and die alone,and we will visit them when they don't need us

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 23:54
I am very much depress,I will suicide soon..

I am alone,studying from past 1 year..

I have no future in my company now as I neglect my work in office so that I can get the time

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 794 [1], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 00:07
This post received
KUDOS
kolheanup wrote:
I am very much depress,I will suicide soon..

I am alone,studying from past 1 year..

I have no future in my company now as I neglect my work in office so that I can get the time

My friend, don't get depressed. If you are not able to prepare well or not improving, I think you MUST change your strategy.

Also, You must first sit and decide whether you need to go for an MBA or not. There are multiple options that you could have other than MBA.

So, its worth deciding that first and then proceed. Being in a dilemma will not take you anywhere and will only have your time wasted.

So, reach out to a counselor and find out what you need in life first.

If you wanna know how to work on MBA part while improving from your past experiences, you should talk to experts. We have so many experts here on the forum. Go ahead and ask anyone. People here are too helpful.

Though, I am not an expert, you can PM me if you need any help. :)

But make sure you have a goal in mind first. Decide your Goal first and then focus only on Fish's eye. :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 794 [1], given: 64

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 49

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 06:40
B is the correct answer.

The argument means that:

- Yellow jackets are counted as one of the 900 species of social wasps, where, yellow jacket is one type of social wasps
- These yellow jackets / wasps live in a cooperative and organized society
- Society consists of females AND workers

Based on description, B explains the meaning most clearly and avoids noun. pronoun, etc issues

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 49

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 14:46
SPLIT1) PARALLELISM. WHEN COMMAS ARE USED, THE LIST OF ITEMS NEED TO BE PARALLEL. ",AND IT IS" AND "AND IT CONSITS" VIOLATES THIS RULE. D AND E ARE OUT

SPLIT2) LOGIC. C IS NOT LOGICAL BECAUSE IS FLOWS WELL UNTIL YOU HIT "ALMOST ALL" WHAT DOES IT MEAN? C IS OUT.

SPLIT3) MODIFIERS. "WHERE" MUST REFER TO A PHYSICAL PLACE, SOMETHING VERY TANGIBLE. IN THIS SENTENCE "WHERE"
REFERS TO SOCIETY (SOMETHING ABSTRACT, NOT TANGIBLE). SAME WITH "THEY" IS THE WRONG PRONOUN FOR WASPS. FOR BOTH REASONS A IS OUT.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 19

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3297 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 10:34
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – closing this request.

Kudos [?]: 3297 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2017, 19:16
Problem with A is the use of "...where". where is not referring to any location, hence wrong

No problem with "consisting....of" in B; it is an odd use of participial modifier, modifying society. Usually this type of modifier starts of with a comma, however in this case comma is omitted. Also the "em-dash" is starting an IC - perfectly good use of it.
Read the sentence with the use of comma below, might give you a better understanding

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps, wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society, consisting almost entirely of females—the queen and her sterile female workers.

Good SC question, teaching us
- Participial modifier
- Summative modifier
- Use of em-dash

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 111

Re: Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2017, 19:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 89 posts ] 

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap