GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 09:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2009
Posts: 16
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Aug 2009, 20:00
6
51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (00:52) correct 47% (00:52) wrong based on 3448 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
(E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Spoiler: :: OE
Kaplan says answer is D, I think the answer is E. Here's what Kaplan has to say, which I don't understand:
The modifier is misplaced here. What is caused by the desire to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though that's the impression you could get from (A), and not the ballet dancers and gymnasts, though that's the impression you could get from (B). And who or what desires to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though you could get that impression from (C) or (E), both of which use the passive voice unnecessarily and confusingly. The answer is (D), in which pronoun reference and the placement of modifiers is perfectly clear.

Originally posted by izing on 24 Aug 2009, 14:38.
Last edited by izing on 24 Aug 2009, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 116
Location: India
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2009, 03:43
14
1
izing wrote:
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Kaplan says answer is D, I think the answer is E. Here's what Kaplan has to say, which I don't understand:
The modifier is misplaced here. What is caused by the desire to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though that's the impression you could get from (A), and not the ballet dancers and gymnasts, though that's the impression you could get from (B). And who or what desires to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though you could get that impression from (C) or (E), both of which use the passive voice unnecessarily and confusingly. The answer is (D), in which pronoun reference and the placement of modifiers is perfectly clear.


A side question: do posting this information here for discussion break the copyright law? I suppose not, as I am not reproducing or distributing the content, rather putting just a question up for discussion.


IMO, D is better than choice than E. In E, pronoun "they" is ambigious. Its the position of "they" that creates problem. However, in D, "they" has a confirmed antecedent "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts". This is because the clause "Because they desire to be as thin as possible" is a modifier clause that modifies the subject "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts". Hence "D" seems better choice.
_________________

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 316
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2009, 00:59
9
2
E looks fine but when it is compared to D (which is 100% clear), 'they' in 'E' can refer to habits, although logically, no one would think so.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2009
Posts: 77
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2009, 04:27
bhanushalinikhil wrote:
izing wrote:
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Kaplan says answer is D, I think the answer is E. Here's what Kaplan has to say, which I don't understand:
The modifier is misplaced here. What is caused by the desire to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though that's the impression you could get from (A), and not the ballet dancers and gymnasts, though that's the impression you could get from (B). And who or what desires to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though you could get that impression from (C) or (E), both of which use the passive voice unnecessarily and confusingly. The answer is (D), in which pronoun reference and the placement of modifiers is perfectly clear.


A side question: do posting this information here for discussion break the copyright law? I suppose not, as I am not reproducing or distributing the content, rather putting just a question up for discussion.


IMO, D is better than choice than E. In E, pronoun "they" is ambigious. Its the position of "they" that creates problem. However, in D, "they" has a confirmed antecedent "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts". This is because the clause "Because they desire to be as thin as possible" is a modifier clause that modifies the subject "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts". Hence "D" seems better choice.


I could not understand your logic. You are saying position of "that" in E is ambiguous. Whatever logic you applied to reach this conclusion is also applicable to option "D". More ever, a sentence starting with "because" is somewhat awkward and there was a way to more precise sentence as in option "E".
Please elaborate..

_________________

Consider kudos for good post.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 116
Location: India
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2009, 04:48
2
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
[quote="bhanushalinikhil
IMO, D is better than choice than E. In E, pronoun "they" is ambigious. Its the position of "they" that creates problem. However, in D, "they" has a confirmed antecedent "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts". This is because the clause "Because they desire to be as thin as possible" is a modifier clause that modifies the subject "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts". Hence "D" seems better choice.


I could not understand your logic. You are saying position of "that" in E is ambiguous. Whatever logic you applied to reach this conclusion is also applicable to option "D". More ever, a sentence starting with "because" is somewhat awkward and there was a way to more precise sentence as in option "E".
Please elaborate..
[/quote]

I know it can get confusing. Look closely. As I mentioned, in D, "that" is a part of the modifying clause. Infact, the sentence can also be written as "Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts, because they desire to be as thin as possible, sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits." Option E is indeed highly precise but with a very subtle error.
Hope this helps.

Again whatever I say is only my opinion.
_________________

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 627
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2009, 06:11
4
izing wrote:
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Kaplan says answer is D, I think the answer is E. Here's what Kaplan has to say, which I don't understand:
The modifier is misplaced here. What is caused by the desire to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though that's the impression you could get from (A), and not the ballet dancers and gymnasts, though that's the impression you could get from (B). And who or what desires to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though you could get that impression from (C) or (E), both of which use the passive voice unnecessarily and confusingly. The answer is (D), in which pronoun reference and the placement of modifiers is perfectly clear.


A side question: do posting this information here for discussion break the copyright law? I suppose not, as I am not reproducing or distributing the content, rather putting just a question up for discussion.


My Pick is D.

'they' in D refers to young athletes , but 'they' in E can refer to 'eating habits ' also. this 'they' in E is ambiguous.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 55
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2009, 06:21
2
my 2 cents

"Desire to be as thin as possible" is the modifier here
In general it makes sense to put modifier as close to the subject it modifies as possible,
so D is doing a good ob by putting this closer to dancers and gymnasts than E, which is putting modifier closer to eating habits.

I agree with the original explanation
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 44
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2009, 10:09
6
1
I looked through different english forums about the use of BECAUSE in the beginning of a sentence. and the consensus is - it is absolutely fine to start a sentence with BECAUSE.

There is a simple rule to keep in mind:

A sentence can begin with because, but you must include a second clause. For example, "Because I said so" is not a sentence. However, "Because it was raining, the baseball game was cancelled" is acceptable. A good rule to follow is that if you do not need a comma, it is probably a sentence fragment if you start with because.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 233
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2009, 15:15
3
IMO D.

A ) Original sentence- maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible - conveys wrong meaning
B ) Awkward sentence
C ) "Because they desire to be as thin as possible" can not modify "good eating habits "
D ) "Because they desire to be as thin as possible" correctly modifies young female ballet dancers - no pronoun reference error - correct answer choice
E ) they - can refer to Young female ballet dancers or good eating habits - pronoun reference error.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts: 217
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2010, 05:48
2
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Let me try with two contenders

( D ) doesnt create any confusion as far as Pronoun " They " is concerned, it can very easily be inferred that "THEY" refers to Young female.......

( E ) In this option, one may confuse that THEY refers to the eating habits and not the young female.....

The crux is to understand the construction of any sentence while evaluating the given answer choices rather than choose answer choice on the basis of implied meaning or the implied logical reasoning of the sentence.

hope this helps
_________________

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Next engagement on Nov-19-2011
Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Posts: 70
Location: New Delhi, India
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2011, 09:40
izing wrote:
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
(E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Spoiler: :: OE
Kaplan says answer is D, I think the answer is E. Here's what Kaplan has to say, which I don't understand:
The modifier is misplaced here. What is caused by the desire to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though that's the impression you could get from (A), and not the ballet dancers and gymnasts, though that's the impression you could get from (B). And who or what desires to be as thin as possible? Not good eating habits, though you could get that impression from (C) or (E), both of which use the passive voice unnecessarily and confusingly. The answer is (D), in which pronoun reference and the placement of modifiers is perfectly clear.


A side question: do posting this information here for discussion break the copyright law? I suppose not, as I am not reproducing or distributing the content, rather putting just a question up for discussion.


'D' - 1.29 mins:-D
This is a tricky question :-) I was confused between A and D but finally chose D.

(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible. 'habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible' seems odd
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible. Seems Good eating habits fail to maintain young female
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts. Modifier issue - Because they desire .. good eating habits
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits. Choose based on PoE and meaning
(E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible. 'They' could have multiple antecedents Habits or Dancers and Gymnasts'
_________________

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 89
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2012, 14:41
A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.- Passive Voice
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.- Misplaced Modifier error
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
(E) Young female dancers (Its Ballet dancers not just dancers) and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 192
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2012, 11:44
How to choose between D and E ????
_________________

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 157
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2012, 22:33
1
shikhar wrote:
How to choose between D and E ????


Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

Answer choice E is wrong because "they" can refer to either "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts" or "good eating habits." It is ambiguous.

Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.

Answer choice D above does not have the ambiguity problem because the first clause modifies "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts" so the "they" is known to refer to "young female ballet dancers and gymnasts"
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 521
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2012, 06:15
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible. good eating habits are caused by the desire to be thin?? Reverses the meaning of the sentence. Wrong
B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible. same meaning error as A
C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts. they=good eating habits. wrong
D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.they=good eating habits. wrong

It all about the meaning and modifier placement . so D
_________________

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Build your own dreams,Otherwise some one else will hire you to build there's.
Joined: 30 Apr 2015
Posts: 89
Location: India
Concentration: Finance
Schools: BYU-Marriott'18
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.68
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 18:59
Is it a possibility that we can eliminate E on the basis that in original it is mentioned ballet dancers whereas in E it says dancers...........
Just wondering............
_________________

"Follow your heart and realize that your dream is a dream for a reason"
-Dori Roberts

Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3188
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 22:23
mahakmalik wrote:
Is it a possibility that we can eliminate E on the basis that in original it is mentioned ballet dancers whereas in E it says dancers...........
Just wondering............


mahakmalik

The problem with E is that the pronoun they is ambiguous. It could refer either to habits or to dancers and gymnasts.

The omission of the word ballet seems to be inadvertent; in a GMAT test, you would probably not find such omissions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Feb 2014
Posts: 11
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Reviews Badge
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 21:03
I don't really see a meaningful difference btw. D and E. Substitute "eating habits" for 'they' and the sentence clearly becomes absurd. It's pretty obvious that they refers back to ballet dancers and gymnasts.

Here's an example to illustrate my point: The Mavericks told the Celtics that they would win. This sentence is incorrect because we don't know whether 'they' refers to Mavericks or to Celtics, either of which would be sensible in this sentence. Now, if I used another example - The Mavericks practice fundamentals because they know that doing so is essential to win - it's pretty obvious that 'they' can only mean the Mavericks. 'Fundamentals know that doing so is essential to win' is an illogical meaning. The fact that 'they' is closer to 'fundamentals' and not to 'Mavericks' in this sentence doesn't create any confusion. I think the same logic applies to this SC question.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3188
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 05:36
bass31 wrote:
I don't really see a meaningful difference btw. D and E. Substitute "eating habits" for 'they' and the sentence clearly becomes absurd. It's pretty obvious that they refers back to ballet dancers and gymnasts.

Here's an example to illustrate my point: The Mavericks told the Celtics that they would win. This sentence is incorrect because we don't know whether 'they' refers to Mavericks or to Celtics, either of which would be sensible in this sentence. Now, if I used another example - The Mavericks practice fundamentals because they know that doing so is essential to win - it's pretty obvious that 'they' can only mean the Mavericks. 'Fundamentals know that doing so is essential to win' is an illogical meaning. The fact that 'they' is closer to 'fundamentals' and not to 'Mavericks' in this sentence doesn't create any confusion. I think the same logic applies to this SC question.


I agree with your point to an extent, but the writer of this problem eliminates answer E stating the same reason I mentioned earlier, that the pronoun is ambiguous. Moreover we have seen some examples from the official guide, in which although the antecedent for a pronoun is very clear from the context of meaning, the usage has not been allowed because of existence of another possible antecedent, even though that other antecedent would give rise to an absurd meaning to the sentence.

However there are examples that support your view as well... that an answer has been accepted although there are two antecedents of which only one is meaningful !!

Considering your point, I would say that we should eliminate an answer on the basis of pronoun ambiguity - when one of the antecedents give rise to an absurd meaning - only as a last resort. When we are stuck between two answers and none of them can be eliminated on the basis of grammar or more obvious meaning problem, we would use this ambiguity to eliminate one of them.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2016
Posts: 12
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 02:25
Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.

(A) Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits caused by the desire to be as thin as possible.
(B) Good eating habits sometimes fail to be maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts caused by desiring to be as thin as possible.
(C) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, good eating habits are sometimes not maintained by young female ballet dancers and gymnasts.
(D) Because they desire to be as thin as possible, young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits.
(E) Young female dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain good eating habits because they desire to be as thin as possible.

[b]In option E) the word ballet is absent and this changes the meaning. We always have to stick to the meaning, which the original sentence conveys [/b]
Re: Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain &nbs [#permalink] 18 Apr 2016, 02:25

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 36 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Young female ballet dancers and gymnasts sometimes fail to maintain

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.