It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 08:50

TODAY:

MIT Sloan Releasing 1st Wave of Interview Invites - Join GMATClub CHAT for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per bloc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per bloc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 08:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:37) correct 19% (03:00) wrong based on 81 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per block to walk to work and 20 seconds per block to ride his bike to work. It is takes him exactly 10 minutes more to walk to work than to ride his bike to work, then x equals?

a.4
b.7
c.10
d.15
e.20

[Reveal] Spoiler:
oa is d

I have solved it, by using backsolving but i tried one other method please tell me where am i wrong. I am not reasoning in minutes but in seconds and the result it is not the same
X/60-X/20 = 600
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per bloc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 09:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
siriusvj wrote:
Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per block to walk to work and 20 seconds per block to ride his bike to work. It is takes him exactly 10 minutes more to walk to work than to ride his bike to work, then x equals?

a.4
b.7
c.10
d.15
e.20

oa is d

I have solved it, by using backsolving but i tried one other method please tell me where am i wrong. I am not reasoning in minutes but in seconds and the result it is not the same
X/60-X/20 = 600

Please follow posting guidelines, link is in my signatures.

As for your question, x/60 = blocks/time/block = block^2/time . This is not what you want. You are given x blocks and 60 seconds PER BLOCK. Thus you need to put it as 60*x to give you units of seconds as you are equating this to 600 (which is TIME in seconds.).

Thus the correct equation is : 60*x-20*x=600 ----> 40x=600--> x = 15.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per bloc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 14:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi siriusvj,

This question can be solved by TESTing THE ANSWERS.

We're given Youseff's rate to walk (1 minute/block) and bike (20 seconds/block = 1/3 minute/block) to work. We're also told that the DIFFERENCE in those two times is exactly 10 minutes. We're asked for the number of blocks between Youseff's home and work.

Since the DIFFERENCE is 10 minutes, and the walking rate is 1 minute/block, there MUST be MORE than 10 blocks (since 10 blocks = 10 minutes to walk and it takes a certain amount of time to bike, so the difference in time would be less than 10 minutes).

Let's TEST Answer D:

IF....15 blocks....
15(1 min/block) = 15 minutes to walk
15(1/3 min/block) = 5 minutes to bike
The difference IS 10 minutes, which is a MATCH for what we were told, so this MUST be the answer.

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.92
Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per bloc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 13:44
Youssef lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per block to walk to work and 20 seconds per block to ride his bicycle to work. If it takes him exactly 10 minutes more to walk to work than to ride his bicycle, then x equals:

A) 4
B) 7
C) 10
D) 15
E) 20

1+ Kudos if you dig the post!

Last edited by Vyshak on 12 Mar 2017, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Merged. Refer to the above discussions.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 18:28
siriusvj wrote:

a.4
b.7
c.10
d.15
e.20

The key point to tackle the problem is to convert Time / second into a single unit.
For example, if we convert the figures in seconds, the equation could be 60x - 20x = 600.

Alternatively, if converting in minutes, we get-
x - (1/3)x = 10
or, (2/3)x = 10
or, x = 15.

Master with structure - Numerical comparison [source: economist.com] https://gmatclub.com/forum/master-with-structure-numerical-comparison-233657.html#p1801987

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
WE: Law (Law)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 04:08
This post received
KUDOS
siriusvj wrote:

a.4
b.7
c.10
d.15
e.20

[Reveal] Spoiler:
oa is d

X/60-X/20 = 600

Solved this by converting to block per second measures. So it's 1 block per 60 seconds (Rate1) and 1 block per 20 seconds (Rate2). Solving for time it's x over 1/60 = 60x and x over 1/20=20x.

Time1 - Time2 or 60x - 20x=600; (the 600 derived from 10minutes converted to seconds)
40x=600/40;
x=15.

Answer is D.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Target Test Prep Representative
S
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 15:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
siriusvj wrote:

a.4
b.7
c.10
d.15
e.20

We are given that Youseff lives x blocks from work. He can walk to work at a rate of 1 block per minute; thus, it takes him (1)(x) = x minutes to walk to work. We are also given that he can bike to work at a rate of 20 seconds per block or 20/60 = 1/3 minute per block; thus it takes him(1/3)x minutes to bike to work. Since it takes him 10 more minutes to walk to work than it does to ride, we can create the following equation to determine x:

x = (1/3)x + 10

3x = x + 30

2x = 30

x = 15

Answer: D

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Re: Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per bloc   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2017, 15:50

Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per bloc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap