Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:05 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
I thought I'd try some monster.com searches for the word GMAT...

Quote:
GPA minimum 3.5 at a top Grad School. GMAT minimum of 700. Finance Major.

Quote:
All resumes must contain the following information: standardized test scores (including SAT, GMAT, GRE, etc.), broken down by section where applicable; undergraduate GPA; and current compensation, including most recent bonus, if any.

Quote:
Demonstrated strong performance demonstrated through high GPA, high GMAT scores, high ranking in class

Quote:
Requirements: 1450 SAT / 770 GMAT Minimum to apply

Quote:
· Resume

· GPA from undergraduate and any graduate program(s)

· Scores from any standardized tests taken, including SAT, GMAT, GRE, etc

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Yes I agree. I know for a fact that McKinsey asks for GMAT (or LSAT or other test scores). I don't know if they are absolutely necessary for employment, but I do know that they ask for it.

I'm also quite certain that business schools are aware of their customers (the companies that hire their graduates), and that it is important for them to keep the scores of their admitted students high because they will be more competitive in the job market.

In fact, I will paraphrase from the University of Chicago message board, a message from a GSB student to an applicant with a low GMAT score: It would be wise to try to improve your score because even if you are able to get in, your lower GMAT score will continue to haunt you as you look for a job.

So even for a top top school like Chicago, employment may be more challenging for students that do not have top GMAT scores.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ryhme, do you know which employer requested a GMAT score of 770 or higher? That seems like an unbelievably high bar.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What if you took GMAT more than 5 years ago and your perfect 800 score is no longer effective? Do you have to take it again for employment purpose?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink]
Kudos
In my current job, I did not need to take the test again.
I am convinced that one of the reasons I got a job in my current capacity is that I got a 700+ on my test and my current employer (a very well respected firm) explicitly asked for all test scores (even back to ACT). I hear this is becoming much more common. I am so thankful that I studied extra hard for my GMAT as I knew that I could get into the school I wanted to with a 650, but the 700+ score has made all the difference later on. Very important to do well on the GMAT and use it for resumes etc.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
patents555 wrote:
Ryhme, do you know which employer requested a GMAT score of 770 or higher? That seems like an unbelievably high bar.

Probably Manhattan GMAT. They advertise that all of their instructors score in top 1%
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yeah very true.. theposts were really of great use!!! Thanks all
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I've heard for McKinsey, the magic number is 700, some say it's 720. Does anyone know or could comment on this?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Also, I was reading on the GMAT's purposes - that it should only be used by takers to get in MBA programs. We know that GMAT scores are used by employers. Let's say you got a 690, and got in your choice school. But you're keen on getting into top MC's. Could you take the GMAT to up your score even though you're done with the apps and are actually attending an MBA?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
RGM wrote:
Also, I was reading on the GMAT's purposes - that it should only be used by takers to get in MBA programs. We know that GMAT scores are used by employers. Let's say you got a 690, and got in your choice school. But you're keen on getting into top MC's. Could you take the GMAT to up your score even though you're done with the apps and are actually attending an MBA?

i don't see a reason why not but very few employers REQUIRE a certain score; Barclay's was the only Bank I am familiar with that required 700+ to apply, which I think is silly but.... for this purpose, a GMAT score is a GMAT score, regardless of when you took it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
RGM wrote:

i don't see a reason why not but very few employers REQUIRE a certain score; Barclay's was the only Bank I am familiar with that required 700+ to apply, which I think is silly but.... for this purpose, a GMAT score is a GMAT score, regardless of when you took it.

Thanks. It's just weird when employers actually require it. I guess it just makes the GMAT more stressful. It's for the MBA program and for your future.

I'm just worried since I've read a horror story of someone getting into a great MBA program with a low-ish score and because of it, could not get into some of the better jobs. It's just worrying that after all that money and effort that your gmat score can hinder your employment prospects too.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Kenan-Flagler, Fuqua (W/L), McCombs
WE 1: Entrepreneurship
WE 2: Non-Profit
Send PM
RGM wrote:
I've heard for McKinsey, the magic number is 700, some say it's 720. Does anyone know or could comment on this?

I think you're right on. I attended an info session at McCombs a couple of months ago and the subject came up. The admissions officer said that companies such as McKinsey begin recruiting in the first year, and that they often require excellent GMAT scores. I followed up with a question on what that means. She replied 700 minimum. A collective groan emerged from the group.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CMU Tepper
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: Re: [#permalink]
OlympicGMAT wrote:
patents555 wrote:

Probably Manhattan GMAT. They advertise that all of their instructors score in top 1%

A 760 is sufficient to be in the top 1% and Manhattan GMAT does not ask for SAT scores.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
That is insane. Time to increase my target score!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
For what it's worth:

I spoke with a recruiter at the Boston Consulting Group (Top Management Consulting Firm), and she said that BCG does NOT have a minimum score requirement on that GMAT.

McKinsey may, but whatever.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CMU Tepper
 Q48  V47
Send PM
DJK wrote:
For what it's worth:

I spoke with a recruiter at the Boston Consulting Group (Top Management Consulting Firm), and she said that BCG does NOT have a minimum score requirement on that GMAT.

Two Points:

1) "No Minimum" does not mean it doesn't matter to BCG. (wow triple negative)
2) I got interviews at many top consulting firms, and was explicitly told by one of them that my GMAT score was a big component.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
randompattern wrote:
DJK wrote:
For what it's worth:

Two Points:

1) "No Minimum" does not mean it doesn't matter to BCG. (wow triple negative)
2) I got interviews at many top consulting firms, and was explicitly told by one of them that my GMAT score was a big component.

True, although I did not say GMAT scores do not matter; I said that there is no minimum ;).

I do not deny that the scores are a big component - how could they not be? MBBs recruit from top business schools. Those who attend top business schools, generally have good GMAT scores.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, why do you say the GMAT scores play a major role? (congrats on your 760 btw) Did the firms explicitly tell you this? If so, what exactly did they say if you don't mind sharing.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3