Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 25 May 2017, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 62
Location: US
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 42

1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2011, 11:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (02:31) correct 39% (01:43) wrong based on 192 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

(1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are internet savvy.
(2) None of the computer programmers in Delphi Corporation is internet savvy or specializes in VB.
(3) If Brian specializes in VC++, Carol specializes in VB.

If the statements above are all true, then which of the following must also be true?

(A) If Brian specializes in VC++, Carol is not internet-savvy.

(B) None of the computer programmers in Delphi Corporation specializes in VC++.

(C) If Brian is internet-savvy, he specializes in VC++.

(D) If Carol specializes in VB, Brian is not in the Delphi Corporation.

(E) Either Brian or Carol is internet-savvy.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2010
Posts: 185
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: critical reasoning [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2011, 15:41
B through POE
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2010
Posts: 63
Location: Barcelona; Austin
Schools: Wharton (int); Booth (int)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 6

Re: critical reasoning [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2011, 08:43
If one of the programmers in Delphi specializes in VC++, then by (1) someone in Delphi is internet savvy. However this is not allowed per (2). Thus B must be true.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1672
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 103

Kudos [?]: 992 [0], given: 109

Re: critical reasoning [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2011, 15:18
+1 B
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

CEO
CEO
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2502
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stanford '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 342 [0], given: 168

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 20:10
I dont why 3 is given...to confuse people?
1 - all VC++ -> inet savvy
2 - no inet savvy in DC

conclude - DC doesn't have any VC++, otherwise it would have had inet savvy

B.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 05:49
Can anyone explain this why the answer option B
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 06 May 2015
Posts: 87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: 1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 06:13
ANS B


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 94
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 46

1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 11:59
Lolaergasheva wrote:
(1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are internet savvy.
(2) None of the computer programmers in Delphi Corporation is internet savvy or specializes in VB.
(3) If Brian specializes in VC++, Carol specializes in VB.

If the statements above are all true, then which of the following must also be true?

(A) If Brian specializes in VC++, Carol is not internet-savvy.

(B) None of the computer programmers in Delphi Corporation specializes in VC++.

(C) If Brian is internet-savvy, he specializes in VC++.

(D) If Carol specializes in VB, Brian is not in the Delphi Corporation.

(E) Either Brian or Carol is internet-savvy.


Hello Experts/ chetan2u , I doubt that OA is correct. In fact I doubt the question itself.
None of the options seems legit.

The OA "B" can't be true since the premise states that "All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are internet savvy." It doesn't mean that all internet savvy specialise in VC++. Internet savvy could be a super set of the VC++ people. The same reason for which we can't say "D" is correct.

Is this question even GMAT worthy?

Kindly throw some light on the same!!!

Last edited by gmatexam439 on 22 Apr 2017, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 94
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 46

Re: 1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 12:02
Hello,
As per my understanding the not only OA is wrong but also all the options don't seem to be legit choices. I have posted my answer below in the comments section.

Hoping for a quick response.
Regards
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 4514
Followers: 394

Kudos [?]: 4194 [1] , given: 109

Re: 1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 22:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatexam439 wrote:
Lolaergasheva wrote:
(1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are internet savvy.
(2) None of the computer programmers in Delphi Corporation is internet savvy or specializes in VB.
(3) If Brian specializes in VC++, Carol specializes in VB.

If the statements above are all true, then which of the following must also be true?

(A) If Brian specializes in VC++, Carol is not internet-savvy.

(B) None of the computer programmers in Delphi Corporation specializes in VC++.

(C) If Brian is internet-savvy, he specializes in VC++.

(D) If Carol specializes in VB, Brian is not in the Delphi Corporation.

(E) Either Brian or Carol is internet-savvy.


Hello Experts/ chetan2u , I doubt that OA is correct. In fact I doubt the question itself.
None of the options seems legit.

The OA "B" can't be true since the premise states that "All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are internet savvy." It doesn't mean that all internet savvy specialise in VC++. Internet savvy could be a super set of the VC++ people. The same reason for which we can't say "D" is correct.

Is this question even GMAT worthy?

Kindly throw some light on the same!!!


Hi..
You have understood Q correct and you have found correctly that internet savvy is the SUPER set of VC++...
So if NO internet savvy means NO super set.
NO super set means NO sub set...

Let internet savvy be B and VC++ be A..
So the sentence becomes..
All A are B..
This means .... Not B, not A..
So Not 'internet savvy', Not VC++..
This is what B says..
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 94
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 46

Re: 1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 01:32
chetan2u wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Lolaergasheva wrote:
(1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are internet savvy.
(2) None of the computer programmers in Delphi Corporation is internet savvy or specializes in VB.
(3) If Brian specializes in VC++, Carol specializes in VB.

If the statements above are all true, then which of the following must also be true?

(A) If Brian specializes in VC++, Carol is not internet-savvy.

(B) None of the computer programmers in Delphi Corporation specializes in VC++.

(C) If Brian is internet-savvy, he specializes in VC++.

(D) If Carol specializes in VB, Brian is not in the Delphi Corporation.

(E) Either Brian or Carol is internet-savvy.


Hello Experts/ chetan2u , I doubt that OA is correct. In fact I doubt the question itself.
None of the options seems legit.

The OA "B" can't be true since the premise states that "All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are internet savvy." It doesn't mean that all internet savvy specialise in VC++. Internet savvy could be a super set of the VC++ people. The same reason for which we can't say "D" is correct.

Is this question even GMAT worthy?

Kindly throw some light on the same!!!


Hi..
You have understood Q correct and you have found correctly that internet savvy is the SUPER set of VC++...
So if NO internet savvy means NO super set.
NO super set means NO sub set...

Let internet savvy be B and VC++ be A..
So the sentence becomes..
All A are B..
This means .... Not B, not A..
So Not 'internet savvy', Not VC++..
This is what B says..


Thank you Chetan for clarifying the doubt :)
Re: 1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2017, 01:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 People who have specialized knowledge about a scientific or technical AR15J 3 22 Apr 2017, 01:34
Employees who spend long hours typing on a computer keyboard avohden 1 07 May 2014, 00:59
1 Police officers in Smith County who receive Special Weapons bschool83 5 18 Aug 2015, 06:27
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next neelabhmahesh 8 11 Jan 2014, 18:19
1 At the company picnic, all of the employees who participated eyunni 7 30 Aug 2015, 13:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

1) All computer programmers who specialize in VC++ are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.