Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: 10th - 84% 12th - 49% BTECH - 6.3 CGPA in Mechanical GMAT 750(Q51 V39) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Given your experience and reasons for going to school, I still think a full-time MBA likely makes most sense, but either could work. A great option for you I think would be to look at one-year / accelerated full-time MBA programs. That would fit well with your schedule, and it often attracts students who are in that sort of "in between" space that you are. A lot of schools in Europe (and I think Canada too) have this option. In the US, there are some 1-year programs too like Cornell, Kellogg (though quite competitive), Emory, USC, Notre Dame.

Good luck!

alokspa wrote:
Hello Kate
Thanks a ton for your reply :)
I am 29 now.
I have nearly 2 years of team leading experience (team of 10-15). I also have 2 years entrepreneurship exp. I have set up a unofficial NGO (During my engineering) which helps flood victims in Odisha(India).

I am going to be complete honest with you. I think that's the only way I can get clarity.
I have no clue what I am going to do MBA or EMBA. But I know GMAT is mandatory for both. So I took the GMAT test first. Now I am safe for 5 years.

My major constrain is in my current situation I cant take 2 years off from work.
I can take 1 year off. Hence I was thinking of EMBA.

I have no problem with any industry actually. I am good at my current industry so I don't mind staying in this industry.
My major problem is Salary growth.

My reason for EMBA or MBA is to
#1: Make myself a formidable individual in management skills. Learn the best about Entrepreneurship, Marketing & Finance.
#2: Earn as much as possible in next 7/8 years.

I have plans to earn enough in the next 8 years & then give my full commitment to my coaching Institute(It was my first job & my first entrepreneurship) .
I aim to take this a nation wide institute from a Local Institute.
That's the only thing in my mind. I have to reach there. It doesn't matter what path I choose MBA or EMBA.

Another aspect is that if you notice my academics are of the worst kind. SO getting into good MBA college is going to be tough for me. The chances are next to none I think. ( this is what I feel I m not entirely sure)> Kindly share your thought on this.

Please let me know if you need any more information which will be helpful in helping me.

Regards
Alok

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi Alok,
Experience wise, I think you fit better in the MBA profile. But if you waited another year or two, plus took on some leadership experience or management role in that time, then the EMBA might start to make sense. I think it also depends more on where you see your career going -- if you're looking to make a career switch, then an MBA make more sense. EMBAs usually focus more on advancing within one's current domain.
One potential benefit of the EMBA option is that they will weight your GPA a little less, and focus more on the quality of your work experience and recommendations.
But I think as long you're smart about choosing schools, you can find a full-time MBA that works for you.
Hope this helps!
Kate

alokspa wrote:
Hello

This is Alok
I am an Indian
My life can be divided into 2 parts pre 2010 & post 2010

post 2010
GMAT 750(Q51 V39)
Total 6.5 years exp --> 4.5 years at job + 2 years entrepreneurship (Coaching Institute)
Currently working as Senior Design Engineer (Domain expert in metro trains & High speed trains) (R&D of automobile & transportation products)

Pre 2010
But my past is not that great
10th - 84%
12th - 49%
BTECH - 6.3 CGPA in Mechanical

Apart from this I have worked for relief flood victim in 2005, 2014 & 2015 ( we are a group of friends & some locals)
I have won awards in singing, Cricket, Badminton
I work for 2 NGOs (one for blind child & another for children education)
I have won atleast 12 awards in my job
I have some designs which are now implemented metro trains in India
Also some patents I have as a team

I wish to go for MBA which can give me opportunity to mix my domain knowledge & not so successful attempt at business exp to be a successful entrepreneur.

yet I am not sure between EMBA & MBA
For either cases can you evaluate my profile & please guide which colleges to apply.

Regards
Alok
Moderator:
1452 posts