GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jul 2018, 18:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

12 Easy Pieces (or not?)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Status: Countdown Begins...
Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 311
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 00:32
Bunuel wrote:
9. Julie is putting M marbles in a row in a repeating pattern: blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink. If the row begins with blue marble and ends with red marble, then which of the following could be the value of M?
A. 22
B. 30
C. 38
D. 46
E. 54

There are total of 7 different color marbles in a pattern. Now, as the row begins with blue marble and ends with red marble (so ends with 3rd marble in a pattern) then M=7k+3. The only answer choice which is multiple of 7 plus 3 is 38=35+3.

Answer: C.


Hi Bunuel, I tried to refer other posts for this answer but I did not understand. Can you please elaborate this? how M=7k+3..
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47184
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 00:48
RMD007 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
9. Julie is putting M marbles in a row in a repeating pattern: blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink. If the row begins with blue marble and ends with red marble, then which of the following could be the value of M?
A. 22
B. 30
C. 38
D. 46
E. 54

There are total of 7 different color marbles in a pattern. Now, as the row begins with blue marble and ends with red marble (so ends with 3rd marble in a pattern) then M=7k+3. The only answer choice which is multiple of 7 plus 3 is 38=35+3.

Answer: C.


Hi Bunuel, I tried to refer other posts for this answer but I did not understand. Can you please elaborate this? how M=7k+3..


The row begins with blue marble and ends with red marble. What cases can we have?

{blue, white, red} = 7*0 + 3
{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink} {blue, white, red} = 7*1 + 3
{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink} {blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink} {blue, white, red} = 7*2 + 3
{blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink} {blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink} {blue, white, red, green, black, yellow, pink} {blue, white, red} = 7*3 + 3
...

As you can see in any case the number of marbles must be a multiple of 7 plus 3.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jan 2013
Posts: 29
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 13:59
Bunuel wrote:
12. If \({-\frac{1}{3}}\leq{x}\leq{-\frac{1}{5}}\) and \({-\frac{1}{2}}\leq{y}\leq{-\frac{1}{4}}\), what is the least value of \(x^2*y\) possible?
A. -1/100
B. -1/50
C. -1/36
D. -1/18
E. -1/6

To get the least value of \(x^2*y\), which obviously will be negative, try to maximize absolute value of \(x^2*y\), as more is the absolute value of a negative number "more" negative it is (the smallest it is).

To maximize \(|x^2*y|\) pick largest absolute values possible for \(x\) and \(y\): \((-\frac{1}{3})^2*(-\frac{1}{2})=-\frac{1}{18}\). Notice that: -1/18<-1/36<-1/50<-1/100, so -1/100 is the largest number and -1/18 is the smallest number (we cannot obtain -1/6 from x^2*y or else it would be the correct answer).

Answer: D.


Is it not the other way around where -1/100 is the least number and -1/18 is the max negative number. I would have picked A as the answer.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47184
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 21:38
vs224 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
12. If \({-\frac{1}{3}}\leq{x}\leq{-\frac{1}{5}}\) and \({-\frac{1}{2}}\leq{y}\leq{-\frac{1}{4}}\), what is the least value of \(x^2*y\) possible?
A. -1/100
B. -1/50
C. -1/36
D. -1/18
E. -1/6

To get the least value of \(x^2*y\), which obviously will be negative, try to maximize absolute value of \(x^2*y\), as more is the absolute value of a negative number "more" negative it is (the smallest it is).

To maximize \(|x^2*y|\) pick largest absolute values possible for \(x\) and \(y\): \((-\frac{1}{3})^2*(-\frac{1}{2})=-\frac{1}{18}\). Notice that: -1/18<-1/36<-1/50<-1/100, so -1/100 is the largest number and -1/18 is the smallest number (we cannot obtain -1/6 from x^2*y or else it would be the correct answer).

Answer: D.


Is it not the other way around where -1/100 is the least number and -1/18 is the max negative number. I would have picked A as the answer.


No.

-1/18 = ~-0.06 and -1/100 = -0.01

-0.06 < -0.01

Image

As you can see -1/100 is to the right of -1/18.

Attachment:
MSP3701ihg50f15748di7300006532e8b04fda4c6c.gif
MSP3701ihg50f15748di7300006532e8b04fda4c6c.gif [ 1.41 KiB | Viewed 913 times ]

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Location: India
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 22:08
Bunuel wrote:
11. The numbers {1, 3, 6, 7, 7, 7} are used to form three 2-digit numbers. If the sum of these three numbers is a prime number p, what is the largest possible value of p?
A. 97
B. 151
C. 209
D. 211
E. 219

What is the largest possible sum of these three numbers that we can form? Maximize the first digit: 76+73+71=220=even, so not a prime. Let's try next largest sum, switch digits in 76 and we'll get: 67+73+71=211=prime.

Answer: D.


Was it implicit that we could only use available digits only once ? I wasted time using same digits multiple times to form different no . Though I ended up with ( 77,73,61 ) which too gave 211 but I arrived at it by brute force. Was there something in the language that I should be careful to identify such scenarios so I don't make this mistake again ?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47184
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 23:34
booksknight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
11. The numbers {1, 3, 6, 7, 7, 7} are used to form three 2-digit numbers. If the sum of these three numbers is a prime number p, what is the largest possible value of p?
A. 97
B. 151
C. 209
D. 211
E. 219

What is the largest possible sum of these three numbers that we can form? Maximize the first digit: 76+73+71=220=even, so not a prime. Let's try next largest sum, switch digits in 76 and we'll get: 67+73+71=211=prime.

Answer: D.


Was it implicit that we could only use available digits only once ? I wasted time using same digits multiple times to form different no . Though I ended up with ( 77,73,61 ) which too gave 211 but I arrived at it by brute force. Was there something in the language that I should be careful to identify such scenarios so I don't make this mistake again ?


We are given a data set which has three 7's in it. If we could use each number in the set multiple times, then why 7's were written three times?
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 740
Premium Member
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 04:44
Bunuel wrote:
2. If x is an integer and 9<x^2<99, then what is the value of maximum possible value of x minus minimum possible value of x?
A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 18
E. 20

Also tricky. Notice that \(x\) can take positive, as well as negative values to satisfy \(9<x^2<99\), hence \(x\) can be: -9, -8, -7, -6, -4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9. We asked to find the value of \(x_{max}-x_{min}\), ans since \(x_{max}=9\) and \(x_{min}=-9\) then \(x_{max}-x_{min}=9-(-9)=18\).

Answer: D.



That is tricky. I took 3<x<10
So minimum value of x= 4
Maximum value of x= 9


Bunuel
When a question involves ^2 or any even power, then we have to consider the negative value?

Will that be the case in all situations?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47184
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 04:50
Shiv2016 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
2. If x is an integer and 9<x^2<99, then what is the value of maximum possible value of x minus minimum possible value of x?
A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 18
E. 20

Also tricky. Notice that \(x\) can take positive, as well as negative values to satisfy \(9<x^2<99\), hence \(x\) can be: -9, -8, -7, -6, -4, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9. We asked to find the value of \(x_{max}-x_{min}\), ans since \(x_{max}=9\) and \(x_{min}=-9\) then \(x_{max}-x_{min}=9-(-9)=18\).

Answer: D.



That is tricky. I took 3<x<10
So minimum value of x= 4
Maximum value of x= 9


Bunuel
When a question involves ^2 or any even power, then we have to consider the negative value?

Will that be the case in all situations?


Yes, x^2 = (positive integer) has two solutions for x, positive and negative.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 15
Location: United States
Schools: AGSM '18
Premium Member
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 17:28
Bunuel wrote:
6. Anna has 10 marbles: 5 red, 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow. She wants to arrange all of them in a row so that no two adjacent marbles are of the same color and the first and the last marbles are of different colours. How many different arrangements are possible?
A. 30
B. 60
C. 120
D. 240
E. 480

Seems tough and complicated but if we read the stem carefully we find that the only way both conditions to be met for 5 red marbles, which are half of total marbles, they can be arranged only in two ways: R*R*R*R*R* or *R*R*R*R*R.

Here comes the next good news, in these cases BOTH conditions are met for all other marbles as well: no two adjacent marbles will be of the same color and the first and the last marbles will be of different colors.

Now, it's easy: 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow can be arranged in 5 empty slots in 5!/(2!*2!)=30 ways (permutation of 5 letters BBGGY out of which 2 B's and 2 G' are identical). Finally as there are two cases (R*R*R*R*R* and *R*R*R*R*R. ) then total # of arrangement is 30*2=60.

Answer: B.


Hi Bunuel,

Is this option possible: *R*R_R*R*R*? Or "in a row" means we can not have any space in between?
Thank you
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47184
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 21:26
1
Soul777 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
6. Anna has 10 marbles: 5 red, 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow. She wants to arrange all of them in a row so that no two adjacent marbles are of the same color and the first and the last marbles are of different colours. How many different arrangements are possible?
A. 30
B. 60
C. 120
D. 240
E. 480

Seems tough and complicated but if we read the stem carefully we find that the only way both conditions to be met for 5 red marbles, which are half of total marbles, they can be arranged only in two ways: R*R*R*R*R* or *R*R*R*R*R.

Here comes the next good news, in these cases BOTH conditions are met for all other marbles as well: no two adjacent marbles will be of the same color and the first and the last marbles will be of different colors.

Now, it's easy: 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow can be arranged in 5 empty slots in 5!/(2!*2!)=30 ways (permutation of 5 letters BBGGY out of which 2 B's and 2 G' are identical). Finally as there are two cases (R*R*R*R*R* and *R*R*R*R*R. ) then total # of arrangement is 30*2=60.

Answer: B.


Hi Bunuel,

Is this option possible: *R*R_R*R*R*? Or "in a row" means we can not have any space in between?
Thank you


In R*R*R*R*R* each * is a place for 2 blue, 2 green and 1 yellow marbles. So, * cannot accommodate say 2 marbles.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 310
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 14:21
Bunuel wrote:
3. Fanny and Alexander are 360 miles apart and are traveling in a straight line toward each other at a constant rate of 25 mph and 65 mph respectively, how far apart will they be exactly 1.5 hours before they meet?
A. 25 miles
B. 65 miles
C. 70 miles
D. 90 miles
E. 135 miles

Make it simple! The question is: how far apart will they be exactly 1.5 hours before they meet? As Fanny and Alexander's combined rate is 25+65 mph then 1.5 hours before they meet they'll be (25+65)*1.5=135 miles apart.

Answer: E.


I couldn't understand (25+65)*1.5=135 miles apart i above solution. Why are we multiple combined rate with 1.5.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47184
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 03:39
ammuseeru wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
3. Fanny and Alexander are 360 miles apart and are traveling in a straight line toward each other at a constant rate of 25 mph and 65 mph respectively, how far apart will they be exactly 1.5 hours before they meet?
A. 25 miles
B. 65 miles
C. 70 miles
D. 90 miles
E. 135 miles

Make it simple! The question is: how far apart will they be exactly 1.5 hours before they meet? As Fanny and Alexander's combined rate is 25+65 mph then 1.5 hours before they meet they'll be (25+65)*1.5=135 miles apart.

Answer: E.


I couldn't understand (25+65)*1.5=135 miles apart i above solution. Why are we multiple combined rate with 1.5.


Because 1.5 hours before they meet, the distance left to cover would be (combined rate)*(time) = (25+65)*1.5 = 135 miles.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 08:09
The worst case scenario will be when 5 white chips are selected in a row. So the answer should be 6 (Option 'C').
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47184
Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 09:08
prwkingdom wrote:
The worst case scenario will be when 5 white chips are selected in a row. So the answer should be 6 (Option 'C').


The correct answer to question 6 should be and is A, not C. Check here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/12-easy-piec ... l#p1033935

8. There are 15 black chips and 5 white chips in a jar. What is the least number of chips we should pick to guarantee that we have 2 chips of the same color?
A. 3
B. 5
C. 6
D. 16
E. 19

Worst case scenario would be if the first two chips we pick will be of the different colors. But the next chip must match with either of two, so 3 is the answer.

Answer: A.

Check other Worst Case Scenario Questions from our Special Questions Directory to understand the concept better.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: 12 Easy Pieces (or not?) &nbs [#permalink] 17 Dec 2017, 09:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 74 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

12 Easy Pieces (or not?)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.