It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 06:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2 months until first exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
2 months until first exam [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 23:29
Hello Everyone,

My GMAT date is coming up (March 17th) and I’m starting to get really nervous. This is the first time I’m taking it and have to at least reach the 50th percentile since my application is due in April (Cal State school). I only have the OG which I bought earlier this week (no supplements) and so far I’m really confused with the quantitative section. I was hoping to ask for any advice on how I should approach this (Eg: Study plan or any other supplements to purchase)

I really appreciate the help. Thank you

Background: Just graduated in the spring but hadn’t taken a math class in a couple of years. Math was always one of my better subjects all throughout school though.

Posted from my mobile device
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.37
Re: 2 months until first exam [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 04:26
This post received
KUDOS
Iamscrewed wrote:
Hello Everyone,

My GMAT date is coming up (March 17th) and I’m starting to get really nervous. This is the first time I’m taking it and have to at least reach the 50th percentile since my application is due in April (Cal State school). I only have the OG which I bought earlier this week (no supplements) and so far I’m really confused with the quantitative section. I was hoping to ask for any advice on how I should approach this (Eg: Study plan or any other supplements to purchase)

Background: Just graduated in the spring but hadn’t taken a math class in a couple of years. Math was always one of my better subjects all throughout school though.

Hi, I definitely feel for you :-) But don't freak out! Just be very methodical during your prep. Take a look at the GMAT Club math book. You can download it for free. If you feel like you need additional material, I'd suggest the Manhattan guides. And don't skip the practice exercises there! They may not be in GMAT format, but they are very useful in pinpointing trouble areas. And after you went through all the necessary topics, just practice a lot, keep an error log, and review your mistakes. Maybe brush up again on certain topics. There are also all kinds of courses if you have the budget for them, but reading and practicing worked best for me personally. Good luck! :-)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Iamscrewed,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) When you say that you have to get the '50th percentile' is that the 50th percentile OVERALL or a minimum of the 50th percentile in each of the Quant and Verbal sections?
2) Would that score 'guarantee' you admission or is it a minimum score requirement just to apply?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.37

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 13:19
Do you really think it's wise to "waste" an official CAT in the beginning? There are so many good diagnostic tests that will shed more light on the most lacking areas. Okay, I actually would have taken it too, but I had no laptop on which the software worked - lucky me! lol Because in hindsight, I'm quite glad I still had both of them later on :-)
HBS Thread Master
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge
2 months until first exam [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 14:12
Iamscrewed wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I would spend some cash and sign up for gmatclub tests for quant specifically. I believe it was solely the most crucial part in my preparation. This way you could take everyday a CAT test and later go through the mistakes, and practice, practice, practice every day. At the end of Feb you could get back to OG and go through it to get used to the official questions.

For verbal part MGMAT - go through it thoroughly - and then practice gmatclub, MGMAT CAT, and OG.

I tend to agree that going through official free CAT test is a waste for now. Also, I would advise not to spoil OG for now and leave it for Feb-March.

And one more thing, try to come to the actual exam with the mind set that you always have a chance to re-take the exam and this is just another practice. It will help to release unnecessary tension and stress.
Expert Post
examPAL Representative
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 08:40
Iamscrewed wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I strongly recommend settling on some study plan before you dive into solving OG questions. That is the only way to study in a structured way.
Taking a diagnostic test, as has been suggest here, is a good place to start. That way you can figure out your strengths and weaknesses.
Next, try and figure out as extensively as you can how much time you'll have to study from now until test date. Try and plan in as detailed a way as possible your studies. Leave a week to 10 days at the end to do practice tests and review them.

Dave Green
Senior tutor at examPAL
Signup for a free GMAT course
Image[/url]

Re: 2 months until first exam   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2018, 08:40

2 months until first exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JANUARY
Math Revolution - Free Free Diagnostic Quant Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
examPAL - Free Video Course A complete on-demand GMAT course
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap