Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [34]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [12]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: 2001 proved to be the automaker's first losing year since 1992, when [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Let me start a new discussion on this topic. When did the loss actually occurred? Was it in 1992 or in 2001? I feel it was 2001 because the text says 2001 was the company's first year of losing. It cannot be 1992 as 1992 is not stated separately but is only part of a prepositional modifier 'since 1992', which denotes some starting point of time. However, in fact, there is mention only one year of losing.
All these factors point to the fact, 2001 was the year under loss.

This discussion is just for academic interest and may not affect the correct choice in the topic text under question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: 2001 proved to be the automaker's first losing year since 1992, when [#permalink]
Hi!

Please can you explain why B is incorrect? Why ing modifier is incorrect?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Kudos
Hi SilvanaDD,

My 2 cents.

In B, I think the modifier " resulting from" is incorrect, because "comma + participle" must make sense with the subject, the company, of the modified clause.

Hope that help.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SilvanaDD, as ballest127 mentions, present participial phrases (resulting...) preceded by a comma modify the subject of the preceding clause.

Here, the subject of the preceding clause is company. Hence, option B nonsensically suggests that company resulted from almost $7 billion in accounting charges.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Past Participial phrases, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
GKomoku wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
2001 proved to be the automaker's first losing year since 1992, when the company had lost $7.4 billion, which was primarily because of almost $7 billion in accounting charges.

We can infer that Some automaker's company lost its money in 1992, we have some desctiptive infomation about its losses. Then this company also lost a lot of revenew in 2001, it was second time since 1992

(A) when the company had lost $7.4 billion, which was primarily because of
("when" correctly describes time period 1992, "which" cannot modify preceeding clause and present a reason, "had lost" is redundant, when we have clear indication of time period 1992, simple past tense will be enough)

(B) when the company had lost $7.4 billion, primarily resulting from
("when" correctly describes time period 1992, "had lost" is redundant, when we have clear indication of time period 1992, simple past tense will be enough, v-ing modifier "resulting from" - modifies preceeding clause, and gives reason for this losses, doer of the action of resulting is not the company, we need to present the reason for whole preceeding clause, hence v-ing usage is incorrect)

(C) when the company lost $7.4 billion, primarily because of
("when" correctly describes time period 1992, "lost" simple past tense fine, "because of" correctly represents reason for preceding clause, let's keep this answer so far)

(D) which is when the company lost $7.4 billion, and that was primarily because of
(here "which" is wrong to modify time period and redundant, "and" //ism marker, but we don't have anything to be // to "that was", also ,+and starts new IC, we just simply need some desctriptive information-reason for preceeding calsue, so depentend clause would be good)

(E) which is when the company lost $7.4 billion, primarily resulting from
(same error as described "which" and "resulting")
------
For more information about Past Perfect on GMAT Sentence Correction please see Mister Mike's explanation

For more information about Which Modifiers Sentence Correction please see Mister Ron's explanation

For more information about V-ing modifiers please see e-gmat explanation
-----

So (C) is the winner

I do not think that "had done " in choice a and b is wrong

when you had finished the lunch, I came.
this is correct sentence.

can you explain more on had done in choice a and b? thank you
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
2001 proved to be the automaker's first losing year since 1992, when the company had lost $7.4 billion, which was primarily because of almost $7 billion in accounting charges.

(A) when the company had lost $7.4 billion, which was primarily because of

(B) when the company had lost $7.4 billion, primarily resulting from

(C) when the company lost $7.4 billion, primarily because of

(D) which is when the company lost $7.4 billion, and that was primarily because of

(E) which is when the company lost $7.4 billion, primarily resulting from

Hi Experts

Hi Experts

GMATNinja KarishmaB MartyTargetTestPrep

Can you please help me to understand why option b is wrong?

"primarily resulting from" can act as a adverbial modifier and can modify verb "loss" so it dosen't seems to be wrong
and the loss happened prior to 2001 so had lost also seems good

Can you please explain where am i going wrong
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:

Hi Experts

"primarily resulting from" can act as a adverbial modifier and can modify verb "loss" so it dosen't seems to be wrong

"Resulting from" cannot act as an adverbial modifier. It has to modify a noun that can be "resulting from" something.

Also, "had lost" does not make sense. The point is that in 1992, the company LOST $7.4 billion. "Had lost" conveys that the company lost $7.4 billion BEFORE 1992, and thus in 1992 "had lost $7.4 billion."
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Vatsal7794 wrote:

Hi Experts

"Resulting from" cannot act as an adverbial modifier. It has to modify a noun that can be "resulting from" something.

Also, "had lost" does not make sense. The point is that in 1992, the company LOST $7.4 billion. "Had lost" conveys that the company lost $7.4 billion BEFORE 1992, and thus in 1992 "had lost $7.4 billion."

But loss can also result from something ,\. Right?
I was not able to understand your point 1...Why resulting from can only modify noun?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Vatsal7794 wrote:

Hi Experts

But loss can also result from something ,\. Right?
I was not able to understand your point 1...Why resulting from can only modify noun?

"Loss" is a noun. So, "loss" can be "resulting from" something.

Example:

The loss resulting from the decision appears to be ongoing.

However, the (B) version says the following:

when the company had lost $7.4 billion, primarily resulting from

"Resulting from" cannot modify "had lost."

In fact, the only noun for "resulting from to modify is "$7.4 billion." So, the sentence seems to convey that $7.4 billion was "resulting from ... accounting charges." That meaning doesn't make sense.

"Resulting from" can modify a noun only since a verb would not "resulting from" something.

For example following is incorrect:

Jim laughed resulting from all the joking around.

That sentence does not directly name the thing that was "resulting from all the joking around."

The following is correct.

Jim's laughter resulted from all the joking around.

That sentence correctly names "laugher" as what "resulted from all the joking around."
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: 2001 proved to be the automakers's first losing year since [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 2001 proved to be the automakers's first losing year since [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts