GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 15:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

22 year old - 650 GMAT, not sure where to apply and how to proceed.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
22 year old - 650 GMAT, not sure where to apply and how to proceed.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 12:46
Hello everybody, I am a 22 year old male who recently graduated from an undergraduate program in a Canadian university. I sat for my GMAT 12 days ago and scored a 650 Q47 V33. Before sitting for my GMAT I was planning on applying to 3 Canadian MBA programs that partially cater towards recent graduates from diverse educational backgrounds with little to no experience. These schools are the following : McMaster, Dalhousie and Sprott. Their average GMAT scores are in the 610-630 range (largely inflated by full scholarships handed out to foreign students with 700+ scores according to people I have talked to). Their application deadlines are also in 6-8 weeks so I have ample time to apply.

I left for a very relaxing vacation right after sitting for my GMAT and I had a lot of time to think about the next step I want to take in my education. If I chose to pursue my MBA right away I would be starting in late August only a couple days after my 23rd birthday. This would not be unusual for the schools I mentioned above but could be seen as very young for most MBA programs. However, with a 650 GMAT, 3.4 GPA (3.7 in the last two years) and a diverse background including work experience throughout my undergrad, I am thinking that maybe I should take a shot at some more competitive programs. I would love to attend McGill or Rotman's MBA programs as they are close to home and very well regarded in Canada however, they may be out of my realistic range. I am now looking to some American MBA programs. I am intrigued by the Boston College MBA, along with Merage and Mason's programs.

As a Humanities Major at undergrad level with a decent GMAT and a 47 Quant score I think that I could present myself as a pretty diverse candidate to a lot of the more competitive programs. I am sure that I will get in to a couple programs at least however, I only have one chance to do an MBA and ideally it will be completed at a more competitive school. As one of those rare undergrads who enjoy both working and going to school I have a good option if I chose to wait a couple years before applying to an MBA. I was recently accepted to an MA in History with a thesis in Economic History. It would be completed by January 2020 (just under 2 years). I would also have the chance to work and squeeze in a couple GMAT re-takes to improve my score.

I would really appreciate it if anybody could give me some feedback and guidance. I am still not sure which schools I should be aiming for and if I should take a more long term approach by improving my overall profile while doing a Masters in History.

Thank you very much
Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: 22 year old - 650 GMAT, not sure where to apply and how to proceed.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 05:15
Emilio95 wrote:
Hello everybody, I am a 22 year old male who recently graduated from an undergraduate program in a Canadian university. I sat for my GMAT 12 days ago and scored a 650 Q47 V33. Before sitting for my GMAT I was planning on applying to 3 Canadian MBA programs that partially cater towards recent graduates from diverse educational backgrounds with little to no experience. These schools are the following : McMaster, Dalhousie and Sprott. Their average GMAT scores are in the 610-630 range (largely inflated by full scholarships handed out to foreign students with 700+ scores according to people I have talked to). Their application deadlines are also in 6-8 weeks so I have ample time to apply.

I left for a very relaxing vacation right after sitting for my GMAT and I had a lot of time to think about the next step I want to take in my education. If I chose to pursue my MBA right away I would be starting in late August only a couple days after my 23rd birthday. This would not be unusual for the schools I mentioned above but could be seen as very young for most MBA programs. However, with a 650 GMAT, 3.4 GPA (3.7 in the last two years) and a diverse background including work experience throughout my undergrad, I am thinking that maybe I should take a shot at some more competitive programs. I would love to attend McGill or Rotman's MBA programs as they are close to home and very well regarded in Canada however, they may be out of my realistic range. I am now looking to some American MBA programs. I am intrigued by the Boston College MBA, along with Merage and Mason's programs.

As a Humanities Major at undergrad level with a decent GMAT and a 47 Quant score I think that I could present myself as a pretty diverse candidate to a lot of the more competitive programs. I am sure that I will get in to a couple programs at least however, I only have one chance to do an MBA and ideally it will be completed at a more competitive school. As one of those rare undergrads who enjoy both working and going to school I have a good option if I chose to wait a couple years before applying to an MBA. I was recently accepted to an MA in History with a thesis in Economic History. It would be completed by January 2020 (just under 2 years). I would also have the chance to work and squeeze in a couple GMAT re-takes to improve my score.

I would really appreciate it if anybody could give me some feedback and guidance. I am still not sure which schools I should be aiming for and if I should take a more long term approach by improving my overall profile while doing a Masters in History.

Thank you very much

Thank you for your detailed post. It is great that you want to get the MBA earlier in your career. Looking at your profile, I would recommend that you stick to similar schools you were initially looking at. The higher ranked Canadian schools will want to see a bit more (GMAT and work experience). However if you want to go early then there are options for you.

Reach out with any other questions or further guidance.

Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: 22 year old - 650 GMAT, not sure where to apply and how to proceed.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 19:55
If you are for sure trying to apply this year regardless then give it a shot at the schools you are looking to add. Not sure how you are defining your "diversity" because that could impact your candidacy positively. Most of the more competitive schools will be expecting higher GMATs and definitely more work experience. One thing I will say is if you are delaying applying to the future I would not go for a MA in History if you have ambitions of an MBA, it feels kind of like a waste of time and getting more work experience would be more valuable for you

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 06:14
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
If you are for sure trying to apply this year regardless then give it a shot at the schools you are looking to add. Not sure how you are defining your "diversity" because that could impact your candidacy positively. Most of the more competitive schools will be expecting higher GMATs and definitely more work experience. One thing I will say is if you are delaying applying to the future I would not go for a MA in History if you have ambitions of an MBA, it feels kind of like a waste of time and getting more work experience would be more valuable for you

Hi I appreciate the response, it looks like I'm going to be applying to the programs listed in my original post. I have the MA in history as more of a backup I guess. Considering that my thesis would be in food economic history and I would like to work in the food industry/consumer goods after an MBA maybe this MA could add some interesting diversity to my profile. Also I think that if I go on and do the MA in history then applying to MBA programs with a thesis in food history could really help clear up my post MBA goals to the adcom committee. Regarding work experience, I was thinking about working full time during my MA if I go that route. Do you think that this would count as relevant work experience for my MBA apps or do I need to be completely out of school?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 03:34
Emilio95 wrote:
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:

Hi I appreciate the response, it looks like I'm going to be applying to the programs listed in my original post. I have the MA in history as more of a backup I guess. Considering that my thesis would be in food economic history and I would like to work in the food industry/consumer goods after an MBA maybe this MA could add some interesting diversity to my profile. Also I think that if I go on and do the MA in history then applying to MBA programs with a thesis in food history could really help clear up my post MBA goals to the adcom committee. Regarding work experience, I was thinking about working full time during my MA if I go that route. Do you think that this would count as relevant work experience for my MBA apps or do I need to be completely out of school?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi Emilio95,
At the risk of sounding crude, let me just blurt it out. You need to Understand & Appreciate the gravity of the suggestion much more.
1) MA (regardless of the course) almost certainly WILL hurt your chances at your BSchool more than it will help.
2) I understand you plan to work full time during your MA, but honestly, you have the same 24 hours. Your time will be much better utilized volunteering/ taking up other positions of responsibility/ experimenting with skills you plan to show in your MBA application... you get the drift.

If you need more help, in the same outspoken way, happy to help.

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 22 year old - 650 GMAT, not sure where to apply and how to proceed. &nbs [#permalink] 31 Mar 2018, 03:34

22 year old - 650 GMAT, not sure where to apply and how to proceed.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap