GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 09:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

[Profile Review] 27M In Aerospace

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
[Profile Review] 27M In Aerospace  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 17:03
Work experience:

Current Position: Aerospace company (Fortune 500)

Spent 1 year as Sr. Financial Analyst then moved to Program Management. Currently a Program Manager III and have been working this position for ~2 years. Lead PM on high visibility program worth >$200m, oversight from all aspects of program (hardware, software, content, customer relations, financial etc..). Received two promotions over 24 months (PM I > PM II > PM III) and in line for possible third before matriculation. Current salary is $115K + 15% yearly bonus.

Prior position: 2 years at aerospace company working in Finance - one promotion from Analyst to Sr. Financial Analyst.

Extra curriculars:

Admittedly not many. Currently working ~60 hour weeks so no real time for outside events. Participation in company charity/fundraising events about every other month. Adult soccer league, ski-club.

Undergrad school/major:

Pretty well regarded state school in California, respectable on west-coast.

Other education/coursework: PMP Certified, part of a few business clubs/intramural sports in undergrad.

Demographic: White/Native American male.

Stats

GMAT Score: Currently testing at ~ 720. Very high quant, verbal is about average.

Undergrad GPA: 2.7 (:(). No real excuse here just wasn't as concerned with my academics as I was going to parties and chasing tail. Hoping strong career performance and good recommendations can help overcome this anchor. Trying to get my GMAT to around 740-750 to help offset. Still figuring out how I will address it in my essay.

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: Very happy in my current company as I am well respected and rising quickly. Really main reason I have for pursuing MBA is most upper execs have it and if I wish to transition into higher level positions (ie. Director of Program Mgmt, etc) going forward I need a graduate degree.

As I don't want to leave my job I am currently exploring part-time/online MBA programs in the Southern California area. My low GPA/lack of extracurricular probably knocks me out of contention for Anderson but still going to give it a shot.

Target schools: Marshall, Merage (UCI), Foster Online (Preferred, explained below).

Reach: Anderson

Follow on question: What is the general consensus around here in regards to doing online MBA? Would I be able to present this the same as a full/part-time MBA. I am very interested in the UW Foster's Hybrid program which is 95% online because they have a good focus on tech and I love Seattle also travel to Boeing quite frequently for business. Assuming I can't get into UCLA part-time program this would probably be my top choice but not sure on the prestige that is 'lost' by taking MBA online.

I am not as concerned with losing the networking portion as I am fairly well connected within my current industry and I intend on staying in it.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: [Profile Review] 27M In Aerospace  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 13:28
westwhiskey1234 wrote:
Work experience:

Current Position: Aerospace company (Fortune 500)

Spent 1 year as Sr. Financial Analyst then moved to Program Management. Currently a Program Manager III and have been working this position for ~2 years. Lead PM on high visibility program worth >$200m, oversight from all aspects of program (hardware, software, content, customer relations, financial etc..). Received two promotions over 24 months (PM I > PM II > PM III) and in line for possible third before matriculation. Current salary is $115K + 15% yearly bonus.

Prior position: 2 years at aerospace company working in Finance - one promotion from Analyst to Sr. Financial Analyst.

Extra curriculars:

Admittedly not many. Currently working ~60 hour weeks so no real time for outside events. Participation in company charity/fundraising events about every other month. Adult soccer league, ski-club.

Undergrad school/major:

Pretty well regarded state school in California, respectable on west-coast.

Other education/coursework: PMP Certified, part of a few business clubs/intramural sports in undergrad.

Demographic: White/Native American male.

Stats

GMAT Score: Currently testing at ~ 720. Very high quant, verbal is about average.

Undergrad GPA: 2.7 (:(). No real excuse here just wasn't as concerned with my academics as I was going to parties and chasing tail. Hoping strong career performance and good recommendations can help overcome this anchor. Trying to get my GMAT to around 740-750 to help offset. Still figuring out how I will address it in my essay.
I'd leave out the details... but a brief optional essay saying that you were not as mature in college -- and that you have learned from this mistake-- putting your efforts into career success is probably all that you need to say on this. And a higher GMAT will help offset the gpa.
MBA Info

Goal of MBA: Very happy in my current company as I am well respected and rising quickly. Really main reason I have for pursuing MBA is most upper execs have it and if I wish to transition into higher level positions (ie. Director of Program Mgmt, etc) going forward I need a graduate degree. very reasonable

As I don't want to leave my job I am currently exploring part-time/online MBA programs in the Southern California area. My low GPA/lack of extracurricular probably knocks me out of contention for Anderson but still going to give it a shot. maybe not- especially for part-time MBA.

Target schools: Marshall, Merage (UCI), Foster Online (Preferred, explained below).

Reach: Anderson

Follow on question: What is the general consensus around here in regards to doing online MBA? Would I be able to present this the same as a full/part-time MBA. I am very interested in the UW Foster's Hybrid program which is 95% online because they have a good focus on tech and I love Seattle also travel to Boeing quite frequently for business. Assuming I can't get into UCLA part-time program this would probably be my top choice but not sure on the prestige that is 'lost' by taking MBA online. If you like your job now- I would not worry about the lost prestige-- as once you have your MBA several years-- it will be the results that matter and not the venue of the MBA. You will still be welcomed as a full alum by any of these online programs.

I am not as concerned with losing the networking portion as I am fairly well connected within my current industry and I intend on staying in it.

For all the reasons you describe- I think you are an excellent candidate for part time or online MBA. We'd be glad to help you in your applications to manage the gpa weakness and help you present in the most compelling way. There's lots of good that I see in here now. If you want to know how we can help with a free consult-- please reach out to us at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | Stratus Admissions | Schedule a Free Consult

GMAT Club Bot
Re: [Profile Review] 27M In Aerospace &nbs [#permalink] 08 Feb 2018, 13:28

[Profile Review] 27M In Aerospace

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap