GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 06:41

R1 Decisions:

Michigan Ross Chat (US calls are expected today)  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  (Calls expected to start at 7am PST; Applicants from Asia will hear first)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

3 people, Amy, Beth, and Cassie, have speeds of 3 mph

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
3 people, Amy, Beth, and Cassie, have speeds of 3 mph  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Jan 2014, 03:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:42) correct 35% (03:09) wrong based on 235 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

3 people, Amy, Beth, and Cassie, have speeds of 3 mph, 4 mph and 6 mph respectively. They run a race in which Beth gives Amy a head start of 2 hrs. If both Beth and Cassie overtake Amy at the same time, what head start did Cassie give Amy?

A. 3 hours
B. 4 hours
C. 5 hours
D. 9 miles
E. 10 miles

Originally posted by guerrero25 on 20 Jan 2014, 09:31.
Last edited by guerrero25 on 21 Jan 2014, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: 3 people, Amy, Beth, and Cassie, have speeds of 3 mph  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2014, 10:14
guerrero25 wrote:
3 people, Amy, Beth, and Cassie, have speeds of 3 mph, 4 mph and 6 mph respectively. They run a race in which Beth gives Amy a head start of 2 hrs. If both Beth and Cassie overtake Amy at the same time, what head start did Cassie give Amy?

A. 3 hours
B. 4 hours
C. 5 hours
D. 9 miles
E. 10 miles

I do not have the OA right now . I will post the answer this evening .

Beth gives Amy a head start of 2 hours, thus Beth gives Amy a head start of 2*3 = 6 miles.

To overtake Amy, Beth will need (time) = (distance)/(relative rate) = 6/(4-3) = 6 hours.

From above we have that Amy runs for 2 + 6 = 8 hours, thus runs total of 8*3 = 24 miles.

To run 24 miles Cassie needs 24/6 = 4 hours. Therefore Cassie gave Amy a head start of (time of Amy) - (time of Cassie) = 8 - 4 = 4 hours.

Answer: B.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2014, 02:23
head start Beth gave to Amy = 2 hours => 3mph *2 =>6 mile
Head start Cassie gave to Amy = x mile

in time t distance travelled
Cassie- x+6 miles = 3t [ relative speed of Cassie w.r.t to Amy * t]
Beth - 6 miles = 1t [ relative speed of Cassie w.r.t to Amy * t]
equations: x+6=3t and 6=1t
x = 12 miles
Head start = x/ speed of Amy => 12/3 = 4 hours
Answer B
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2014, 21:23
guerrero25 wrote:

A. 3 hours
B. 4 hours
C. 5 hours
D. 9 miles
E. 10 miles

The most important clue here is this: If both Beth and Cassie overtake Amy at the same time

This means that all A, B and C meet together i.e. at one instant, they all had covered the same distance.
For easy calculations, let's assume that that distance was 12 miles. A would have been running for 4 hrs, B would have been running for 3 hrs and C would have been running for 2 hrs.
But actually, B started 2 hrs after A so the distance must have been 24 miles. A would have been running for 8 hrs, B would have been running for 6 hrs and C would have been running for 4 hrs.
So C gave A a head start of 4 hrs.

Answer (B)

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT Date: 02-14-2014
GPA: 2.3
WE: Other (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2014, 19:17
guerrero25 wrote:

A. 3 hours
B. 4 hours
C. 5 hours
D. 9 miles
E. 10 miles

I used following approach:

( A,B and C denote Amy,Beth and Cassie respectively)
Let the total distance be x

then time of A= x/3 , B= X/4

Given that, x/3 - x/4 = 2
So, x = 24

Now time taken by A = 8 h

B= 6h

C= 4h

Thus, C gave head start to A for 8-4= 4h
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 08:02
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:

A. 3 hours
B. 4 hours
C. 5 hours
D. 9 miles
E. 10 miles

The most important clue here is this: If both Beth and Cassie overtake Amy at the same time

This means that all A, B and C meet together i.e. at one instant, they all had covered the same distance.
For easy calculations, let's assume that that distance was 12 miles. A would have been running for 4 hrs, B would have been running for 3 hrs and C would have been running for 2 hrs.
But actually, B started 2 hrs after A so the distance must have been 24 miles. A would have been running for 8 hrs, B would have been running for 6 hrs and C would have been running for 4 hrs.

Answer (B)

Hi Karishma,
Do you have any blog on this concept of race and circular tracks? I have trouble understanding them.
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 19:42
maggie27 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:

A. 3 hours
B. 4 hours
C. 5 hours
D. 9 miles
E. 10 miles

Answer (B)

Hi Karishma,
Do you have any blog on this concept of race and circular tracks? I have trouble understanding them.

I have a post on circular motion: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/08 ... n-circles/
But not one on races. I will put something up in the next few weeks.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 14:46
Let A=Amy's time to meeting
Let A-2=Beth's time to meeting
Let A-C=Cassie's time to meeting
3A=4(A-2)
A=8
8(3)= 4(6)=24 miles to meeting
6(8-C)=24 miles
C=4 hours head start given by Cassie to Amy
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Tuck '19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 10:33
I'm unable to understand this question. Are they three running together or what? This is a really confusing question.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 11:05
sudhirgupta93 wrote:
I'm unable to understand this question. Are they three running together or what? This is a really confusing question.

What is the confusion?

Question clearly states that A started first. B started after 2 hours and we need to determine When did C start.

As per the question, we know that All three meet at the same point.

So, we can determine when did A and B meet. The point they will meet would be the same at which C will be present at that time.

So,

A and B will meet after t = 6/(4-3) = 6 hours.

In these 6 hours, B would have covered 4*6=24 miles.

=> C would also have covered 24 miles and that would be in 24/6=4 hours.

Thus, C started 2 hours after B or 4 hours after A. hence, answer is B.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Tuck '19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 11:12
abhimahna wrote:
sudhirgupta93 wrote:

What is the confusion?

Question clearly states that A started first. B started after 2 hours and we need to determine When did C start.

As per the question, we know that All three meet at the same point.

So, we can determine when did A and B meet. The point they will meet would be the same at which C will be present at that time.

So,

A and B will meet after t = 6/(4-3) = 6 hours.

In these 6 hours, B would have covered 4*6=24 miles.

=> C would also have covered 24 miles and that would be in 24/6=4 hours.

Thus, C started 2 hours after B or 4 hours after A. hence, answer is B.

I've been doing distance-rate questions since morning. I guess my glass is full. Got it from your explanation. Thanks..
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 23:45
My Approach:

x 1h 2h 3h 4h 5h 6h 7h 8h
A 3 6 9 12 15 18 21 24
B 0 0 4 8 12 16 20 24
C 0 0 0 0 6 12 18 24

-we start filling out the distance travelled per hour by A,
-Since B gives A, 2 hours headstart, we have B starting 3 hours
-at the end of 8 hour A and B catch up.
-In order that C also catches up at the same time we start filling at the last column and start reducing at 6 per hour(speed of C)
-Doing so C shoud start at 5th hour. Hence C must give 4 hours head start.

This is alternative approach. Might work for some.
GMAT Club Bot
3 people, Amy, Beth, and Cassie, have speeds of 3 mph &nbs [#permalink] 09 Aug 2018, 23:45

3 people, Amy, Beth, and Cassie, have speeds of 3 mph

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap