GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 01:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

4 years of work exp. - What options for MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
4 years of work exp. - What options for MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 22:37
I have been working in my Family Business since the last 2.75 years. I have decent profile:

X Class - 81% (CBSE), Class XII - 89.2% (State Board) & B.Tech - 8.63/10 CGPA from Tier-II College (Top 70 in NIRF Engg. College Ranking by Govt. of India)

I do have 2 Research paper publications in Engg., Decent co-curricular and extra curricular activities during college days.

I want to join good MBA program by next year i.e. 2019 (and I would have 4 years of work exp completed by that time). I am looking for specialization in Finance.

As of now, my short term goal is to do MBA. However, I am not sure about post-MBA career path whether I should work 3-4 years outside and then return to family business or immediately join family business. I would take decision based on my father's retirement decision and my circumstance after 2 years.

The following things are what I am looking at:
1) Learn basics Marketing, Operations, Finance etc.
2) Specilization in Finance
3) Settle my life in India and diversify/expand family business
4) Create a good network of friends
5) Reputed college and program. Looking at Top 10 colleges in country or Top 30 in the world.

Since, I am looking specifically for finance specialization, I am not sure if abroad MBA programs are good because ultimately I will settle in India and I want knowledge on finance from India perspective. I am not sure if this assumption is wrong or right.

Some of my friends said that family business MBAs are good for networking friends but are not really serious programs. I am not sure about this as well.

I am not sure whether PGP 2 years program at IIMs with 4+ years work exp. is good or bad.

PGPEX programs at IIMs require 27 years of age at the time of applying. Right now, I am only 24.

I am looking at ISB, Hyderabad,India so far. Other than that, I don't know what options are available for me.

I want your inputs/advice regarding this. Am I being realistic about what I want or is there anything I be aware of?
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: 4 years of work exp. - What options for MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 02:55
SanjayChandra wrote:
I have been working in my Family Business since the last 2.75 years. I have decent profile:

X Class - 81% (CBSE), Class XII - 89.2% (State Board) & B.Tech - 8.63/10 CGPA from Tier-II College (Top 70 in NIRF Engg. College Ranking by Govt. of India)

I do have 2 Research paper publications in Engg., Decent co-curricular and extra curricular activities during college days.

I want to join good MBA program by next year i.e. 2019 (and I would have 4 years of work exp completed by that time). I am looking for specialization in Finance.

As of now, my short term goal is to do MBA. However, I am not sure about post-MBA career path whether I should work 3-4 years outside and then return to family business or immediately join family business. I would take decision based on my father's retirement decision and my circumstance after 2 years.

The following things are what I am looking at:
1) Learn basics Marketing, Operations, Finance etc.
2) Specilization in Finance
3) Settle my life in India and diversify/expand family business
4) Create a good network of friends
5) Reputed college and program. Looking at Top 10 colleges in country or Top 30 in the world.

Since, I am looking specifically for finance specialization, I am not sure if abroad MBA programs are good because ultimately I will settle in India and I want knowledge on finance from India perspective. I am not sure if this assumption is wrong or right.

Some of my friends said that family business MBAs are good for networking friends but are not really serious programs. I am not sure about this as well.

I am not sure whether PGP 2 years program at IIMs with 4+ years work exp. is good or bad.

PGPEX programs at IIMs require 27 years of age at the time of applying. Right now, I am only 24.

I am looking at ISB, Hyderabad,India so far. Other than that, I don't know what options are available for me.

I want your inputs/advice regarding this. Am I being realistic about what I want or is there anything I be aware of?

SanjayChandra,
1) GMAT score?
2) Target colleges? Region?
3) Achievements (even if they are in your family business?). For Ex. How much has the business improved? How? What changes have you brought?
4) Goals? (How does Finance help you achieve those goals?)

Try writing answering these questions, especially #4, and you will see much confusion may start disappearing soon.

Feel free to contact for a profile review.

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
4 years of work exp. - What options for MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 04:47
Sanjay,

You have a lot to think about before you embark upon the MBA journey. For most MBA applicants, the application writing process itself is a journey of self-reflection, and I suggest you start asking yourself some deep questions right now. When you finally apply, all the MBA programs will expect you to have answers to questions such as why MBA? what after MBA, your larger purpose in life etc.

As I understand, an MBA in India makes sense for you. You should research the programs- start off by looking at any known rankings and then probe deeper into every program that interests you- find out their eligibility criteria, the curriculum and the experiential learning opportunities available. BAsing your decisions/knowledge on what your friends tell you is not the best way to do it, because they may be misinformed and may give you wrong info. Nothing can beat primary research and it will also help you to form your own views.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation click here

4 years of work exp. - What options for MBA?   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2018, 04:47

4 years of work exp. - What options for MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap