Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: 430-550-560-650 to 650 again. New ESR attached [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I am sorry dcummins. Long stretches of prep do tend to have negative effects, unfortunately. As prep stretches out, our memory starts failing and our motivation grows weaker. It is hard to be on the offensive after getting stuck for months. I feel for you!

P.S. Someone did post a HEC Admit with a 650 a few days ago so not the most impossible score but it is not helpful per se....
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi All,

Thanks so much for the overwhelming support from everyone. It's a really nice thing to come on after yesterday and read the support from people around the world.

I guess to clarify how I am. I want to get across that i truly know I've grinded the gears as I'm not upset, not angry, but just impartial.

I lodged a case with customer support in regards to the test. There were 3 factors that impacted me, but ultimately I was fairly out of it, so if they can somehow annul this test and grant me another then thats a +1 for me.

I forgot to mention that before I even got to the exam centre I had semi-blood shot eyes - photosensitive to some degree. No idea why.

Also, each day before my past tests I have studied lightly, and I have taken a long bike ride to really exert myself, clear my head, and get better quality sleep.
I didn't do any of this this time around, I studied about 6-7 hours, went to bed late and yea... probably overdid it.

I will address each person's comments below.

rohan911 wrote:
Hi
I have been following you for quite some time. Do not do that.You are one of the few persons on this forum who proves that we should not give up and we can achieve the score we aspire with handwork and time. It was just that luck was against you this time. **** Happens Mate.When I started preparing for gmat i was in the Mid 400 range too and i know if i work hard i can achieve the score i want. Dust yourself and get up

DO not give up

Thanks Rohan, after reading your comment I feel motivated to go and get what I'm entitled to. I appreciate the support you've given me. You're right, yesterday things just didn't go to plan.

Its really inspiring to read these types of comments and see that at least I've had a positive impact on another's journey.

MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hey, you were burnt out before verbal, and even before taking the test at all, and yet your verbal score bounced back up. Had your quant score just remained where it was the last time, this would have been your high so far.

Thanks Marty. Yeah man. I honestly think GMAC has a different algorithm based on the sub-section order you take. Or maybe its just THAT randomised. Either I was off or the first few questions I got given in quant were super hard. I burnt too much time and ultimately screwed off the rest of the test.

GMATNinja wrote:
dcummins, I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. And I think I owe you a PM or two -- I have a few thoughts for you that might not be terribly useful. ;)

Kudos to rohan911 for capturing a piece of my thoughts, too. You're one of most inspiring battlers we have in the community, and it might be time for a strategic break if you're feeling fried. And I can't blame you one bit for feeling burnt at this point -- you've been through a ton, but it's been a heck of a story already.

I'm pretty sure that your MBA story is a long way from over, and I'm looking forward to the next chapter in the tale!

Thanks Charles. I intend on sorting some personal commitments out then taking a strategic break. Maybe a week away somewhere. I definitely need to recharge.

All good - I understand you get PM'd a heap!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Dan,

This just did not seem to be your day. I think a combination of burnout and some freak events taking place during the quant section really threw you off your game. The good news is that, despite all these things happening, you scored V35, which is one of your better GMAT verbal scores. With all this said, I agree with your assessment that it may be time for a break. I’m not saying to give up, but I think you really need a mental break in which you step away from the GMAT, so that you can come back refreshed and ready to rock. When you are ready to dive back in, Marty, and Jeff, and I will be waiting to help you bust through this brick wall once and for all. If you’d like to chat further, feel free to reach out to any of us directly.

We’ve got your back, my friend.
VP
VP
Send PM
TheNightKing wrote:
Getting a PM from legend ( GMATNinja ) himself. So lucky.! (and I am so jealous :tongue_opt1 )

Yes. I agree 100%. MBA story is a long way from over. I have been trying for almost 6 years now (not always preparing for GMAT but something called as CAT that is conducted annually in India). You can't stop until you make it happen.!

P.S: I sent him a PM already :)

Thanks man. I appreciate your messages and words of support. You're right. Each question is a step forward to progression and every test is an experience. I know now what NOT to do.

mykrasovski wrote:
dcummins sorry to hear that things did not work out today. Clearly, it was not your bestest day. Take a really good break, go travel if you can afford it, or just hang out with family & friends. Reset your mind and re-evaluate what you want to do next.

Also, 650 is a very decent score. And you did score Q48 and V36 on different occasions. And who knows, perhaps, this score and the rest of your application will open the door into the school of your choice. You might as well just apply to the schools and see what happens next.

Enjoy the break!

Thanks mykrasovski

100% I'm going to take a break and evaluate the situation, but most likely still try for Round 2 or worst case Round 3 at my target schools depending. Ultimately I'll still apply no matter what I end up with and see how I fair.

bb wrote:
I am sorry dcummins. Long stretches of prep do tend to have negative effects, unfortunately. As prep stretches out, our memory starts failing and our motivation grows weaker. It is hard to be on the offensive after getting stuck for months. I feel for you!

P.S. Someone did post a HEC Admit with a 650 a few days ago so not the most impossible score but it is not helpful per se....

Thanks bb Yes I think I also saw someone with an LBS Admit with a 650. Its never an apples to apples comparison, but at least It inspires confidence.

Memory was intact, but my motivation was out the window. My motivation for everything. I'm burnt to such a degree that I have no motivation to go out, hang out with anyone or whatever. I just want a break somewhere and gather my thoughts.
VP
VP
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hey Dan,

This just did not seem to be your day. I think a combination of burnout and some freak events taking place during the quant section really threw you off your game. The good news is that, despite all these things happening, you scored V35, which is one of your better GMAT verbal scores. With all this said, I agree with your assessment that it may be time for a break. I’m not saying to give up, but I think you really need a mental break in which you step away from the GMAT, so that you can come back refreshed and ready to rock. When you are ready to dive back in, Marty, and Jeff, and I will be waiting to help you bust through this brick wall once and for all. If you’d like to chat further, feel free to reach out to any of us directly.

We’ve got your back, my friend.

Thanks Scott, much appreciated.

Man the support yourself, Jeff and Marty have given me is insane. I really can't thank you guys enough. The guidance and time taken in the day to help me with issues or coach me is just surreal. I'll keep you updated, but current high level plan is to evaluate the next best steps with Fortuna, both Karen and Emma have been amazing btw, then to take a break (maybe a couple of weeks depending..) and to evaluate best course of action, including what I need to do differently, whether that be taking the test at a different exam centre or changing my entire approach to study.
VP
VP
Send PM
ESRs attached from yesterday's exam and my exam on the 1st Nov.

Man, if i didn't stuff up RC on the 1st Nov I would have walked away with a high 600s or low 700s score at least.

Note that I started with Quant and then progressed to Verbal.
Overall, I still haven't quite digested the bloated format of the test on the monitors. I think it justifies that In future I retake GMAC exams and do so on a crappy monitor so I can get better acclimated to the bloated text.

Comments on most recent ESR:
- The first quant question I thought was 700, it was a difficult ratios question. I must have gotten that wrong, but perhaps I also misinterpreted the difficulty. I spent so long on this question and I decided to dump a few questions to catch-up, so the average time in the first section of my Quant component is a bit misleading.
- Verbal. SC and CR Dipped from my last exam. RC seems to have improved- Stated idea jumped up, Inferred Idea dropped dramatically.
Attachments

File comment: 1st NOV ESR (PAST EXAM)
DCUMMINS 01st Nov Exam ESR.pdf [531.39 KiB]
Downloaded 89 times

File comment: MOST RECENT ESR _ 20th Nov
D Cummins_364378566_ESR.pdf [558.69 KiB]
Downloaded 90 times

Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dcummins wrote:
- The first quant question I thought was 700, it was a difficult ratios question. I must have gotten that wrong, but perhaps I also misinterpreted the difficulty. I spent so long on this question and I decided to dump a few questions to catch-up, so the average time in the first section of my Quant component is a bit misleading.

Dan, dumping questions just to catch upl is a great way to kill your score. Never ever dump questions just to catch up.

You are better off doing your best throughout the test and guessing on a few at the end if you have to.

Alternatively, you can catch up by having your trigger finger for dumping questions with which you are having trouble be a little faster.

By dumping questions with which you are having trouble, you are likely to dump hard questions.

By randomly dumping questions to catch up, especially a the beginning of the section, ESPECIALLY after missing the first one, you probably dumped relatively easy questions, driving your score down hard.

Notice the average difficulty of correct answers in the first quartile of your test, below medium.

Anyway, don’t ever just dump questions to catch up. By doing so, you may dump easy questions that you could have answered.

The good news is that that one move may have driven your quant score significantly below what it would have been had you dumped only hard questions. So, apparently, even in a burned out state with bad pens, you can readily score higher than you did on this last test.
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dcummins wrote:

Thanks Scott, much appreciated.

Man the support yourself, Jeff and Marty have given me is insane. I really can't thank you guys enough. The guidance and time taken in the day to help me with issues or coach me is just surreal. I'll keep you updated, but current high level plan is to evaluate the next best steps with Fortuna, both Karen and Emma have been amazing btw, then to take a break (maybe a couple of weeks depending..) and to evaluate best course of action, including what I need to do differently, whether that be taking the test at a different exam centre or changing my entire approach to study.

We are always happy to help, Dan. So, please keep us updated and reach out when you need us.
VP
VP
Send PM
Just to let everyone know I took a week off prep. I didn't do anything exciting really.

I booked my last exam for the 16th of December at a different test centre. Will be active on here again.

Right now i'm just coming up with a plan of attack and doing mixed practice/ tests to get back into the swing of things.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderator:
Founder
37298 posts