Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 04 Jun 2020, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

520 (Q-41, V-20), A really bad score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 560 Q45 V28
GPA: 2.8
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
CAT Tests
520 (Q-41, V-20), A really bad score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2020, 21:49
So, I gave my GMAT on 16-December-2019 and got a really bad score of 520, because I couldn't complete my verbal and quant section completely and had to race through the sections without any time to read the questions. I still couldn't complete it.

I had started at 470 without studying anything and went up to 680 in 2 months' time in my GMATPrep mocks. But, the mistake I made was the excessive use of the Pause button on every test I give. I was not prepared for such a short time

I was able to understand and solve the questions, but I was taking a lot of time on each question. I chose the 10:00 AM slot and chose the V-Q-IR-AWA format. So due to the short time

In the Verbal Section, I had to mark 5 questions without even reading them and still I couldn't complete 5 questions. Now, I took the break, but during the break, I panicked that now I would not be able to achieve my goal score of 700+, giving me anxiety.

I started panicking on each Quant question and took a lot of time in answering each question and had to mark 4 questions without even reading them and still left 3 questions.

The things that didn't play out for me -

1. The excessive use of the Pause button during mocks as I was not prepared for a short time.
2. A goal score in mind, which made me panic on each question

Now I have to give GMAT by January 20 anyhow, as the deadlines are approaching for programs. I would like to know how to manage time and what to do to improve my Verbal Score?
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2020, 00:17
Hi Videep, I can totally understand ur position. I had same experience last year. ended up 550 though in mocks I was getting easily 600-680;
Now to answer ur question, since u are determined to write exam so soon, Solve only official questions;
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
Topicwise (ex. CR, weaken, sub-600, official guide(and gmatprep quesions)) ; I think next 2 weeks should be invested focusing on your weak-area and using official questions (to tune your ear/mind to be acquainted with language and complexity level); First make sure u are able to get all 500/600 level question "Correct" before attempting 700; As this is the same way, gmac algorithm works;
Also U can easily improve ur Quant score;
As u diagnosed about practice stamina, solve 31/36 quesions in one Go; in a day u can give atleast 2 timed-stamina practice;
Do assess yourself well and ACCEPT all the shortcomings then plan(realistically or according to ur personality) to improve;

Also just think about all the possibilities(regarding score) beforehand, to tackle the anxiety;It is difficult to improve score (by 200 points)in very short time , but it is easily possible to get better score .
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.9
Re: 520 (Q-41, V-20), A really bad score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2020, 08:27
So, you did not answer 5+3=8 questions in total, right? Remember: there is a huge penalty if you don't answer any question in the real GMAT-you should answer those questions with random guessing. Now, it seems that you've to be so serious about the time management. By the by, what's your split (quant and verbal score separately) in the mock test?
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2020, 08:52
Hi videepsinghal,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT.

Regarding your timing issues, honestly, the best way to improve your timing is by improving your GMAT quant and verbal skills. As you develop mastery of each individual quant and verbal topic, better timing WILL follow. In fact, a great way to know how well you have mastered a particular topic is to be cognizant of your reaction time when seeing a particular question. For example, consider the following simple question with which many students who are beginning their prep struggle:

14! is equal to which of the following?

(A) 87,178,291,200
(B) 88,180,293,207
(C) 89,181,294,209
(D) 90,000,000,003
(E) 91,114,114,114

Upon seeing this question, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Trying to add up the values in the expression? If you are able to quickly recognize that using the “5 x 2 pair rule” will allow you to attack the problem quickly and efficiently (see the solution below).

Solution:

14! = 14 × 13 × 12 × 11 × 10 × 9 × 8 × 7 × 6 × 5 × 4 × 3 × 2 × 1.

Notice that there is at least one (5 × 2) pair contained in the product of these numbers. It follows that the units digit must be a zero. The only number with zero as the units digit is 87,178,291,200.

Answer: A

Although this is just one example of many, you see that you must have many tools in your toolbox to efficiently attack each GMAT quant question that comes your way. As you gain these skills, you will get faster.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
202 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2020, 09:43
First of all, from 470 mock (with pause) to 520 real gmat is a big improvement.

Getting 680 mock (with pause) to 700 (without pause) is rather unrealistic. Need to expect +-30 points from mock with the same pause/no pause options.

I think you need badly to go OG2020.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2020, 19:38
naju I received 680(Q-48, V35) in my GMATPrep Mock Test in the last week
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2020, 19:42
chondro48 So the problem really was that I was able to understand the questions on the test but the mistake I was making was re-reading the question, again and again, killing time.

What I will do is I will give a test without pause at the same slot and report the score that I receive
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 01:56
chondro48 I just gave my GMATPrep exam today without studying anything and without pausing and received 710 (Q- 49. V-38). How should I go ahead with my preparations?
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Technology

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 02:20
Hi Videep, 710 score sounds really grt!!! Kudos; Keep practicing/revising tricky official questions;
Get Gmatprep 3, 4, 5, 6 and solve withputh pause for stamina and practice ;Gud luck for Final Exam!
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2020, 07:00
videepsinghal wrote:
chondro48 I just gave my GMATPrep exam today without studying anything and without pausing and received 710 (Q- 49. V-38). How should I go ahead with my preparations?

Looks good. Please do OG Advanced Questions to make your Quant performance more resilient. Do all SC questions in OG2020 and read all explanation, regardless your answer is right or wrong.

After all, learn to let go very hard questions in mocks and real test, if you are beyond 2.5 mins

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2020, 03:36
videepsinghal - I understand your situation and certainly 710 is an amazing score in mocks. However, GMAT Prep's scores are sometimes bulged by the fact that the questions are repeat in nature and we would know certain answers at the back of our mind. Just a note of caution.

Also, I would recommend to appear once you are 100% ready and confident. All the best!

I'd rather live one day as a lion than 1000 years as a sheep!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 520 (Q-41, V-20), A really bad score   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2020, 03:36

520 (Q-41, V-20), A really bad score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics