GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 18:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

560 (Q35, V32) MGMAT CAT 1

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.4
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Premium Member CAT Tests
560 (Q35, V32) MGMAT CAT 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Aug 2019, 23:19
Edit (10AUG): I have completed 40% of TTP within the last 4 weeks hitting all the required accuracies. Finished the first review exam. I took a GMATClub Quant CAT (free) today and received a Q40.

Currently at 130 Hours studied for GMAT.

So MGMAT Q35 (40 hours studied) to GMATClub Q40 (130 hours studied) in 4 weeks. I hear GMATClub quant is a bit easier than MGMAT so I am not sure if it is a noticeable jump. I feel a lot more competent on many questions now, however was hoping for a slightly higher score after 4 weeks. I am thinking I will need 300-400 hours of studying, another 100 to finish TTP and another 100-150 for verbal/OG/CATs.

My timing strategy was not ideal and I think I just need to finish TTP and answer OG questions and do many CATs for the endurance and further review to get that Quant to a 48 or 49.

Any input or words of encouragement would be great!

Original Post:

Hello,

27 year old, currently a U.S. Army officer attempting to study for GMAT while on deployment. I have put in around 40 hours of study over the past 3 weeks on Problem Solving exclusively. I am a bit discouraged scoring a 560 (Q35, V32) as I was an electrical engineering major in undergrad at a top 10 university.

I honestly rushed through without too much worry and as a result had 22 minutes left on quantitative section and 19 minutes left on verbal section. Perhaps all of that extra time I could have got an extra question or two correct.

After reviewing the questions I got wrong in Quant, there have been less ‘ahah’ moments and more simple mistake moments. So hopefully my next CAT which I will take a lot more seriously in 2 months goes much better.

I am a little rusty with the basics so I am currently going through basic 500 questions on all problem solving types after reading about the theory. I also read about 1 hour of Dostoevsky novels each night as my tougher, verbal material. I won’t need to complete an application until September 2020 so I have just over a year to reach my goal score of 700+ To try for a top 3 school. I hope it is feasible within a year to reach this goal score. I am willing to take the GMAT 5 times if need be and cancel lower scores.

Any input would be great.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Sawneagle on 07 Jul 2019, 04:29.
Last edited by Sawneagle on 09 Aug 2019, 23:19, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: 560 (Q35, V32) MGMAT CAT 1  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2019, 08:31
Hey Sawneagle, don't read too much into your 560 on MGMAT. You're probably at a 600 level on the real one. Rushing through questions is a bad idea, you'd need to learn to manage time in a way that you don't have more than a few mins remaining after your section. I'd suggest analyzing your mock and drilling down to your weaknesses and work until they're your strengths. Keep giving mocks and remember to analyze them carefully. Also, if you have time on your hand, i'd recommend a focused 2-3 month prep to get to your target score. The more you stretch your prep, the more you'll tend to forget. A 700+ score is within your reach, my friend.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2019, 08:57
ajayb92 wrote:
Hey Sawneagle, don't read too much into your 560 on MGMAT. You're probably at a 600 level on the real one. Rushing through questions is a bad idea, you'd need to learn to manage time in a way that you don't have more than a few mins remaining after your section. I'd suggest analyzing your mock and drilling down to your weaknesses and work until they're your strengths. Keep giving mocks and remember to analyze them carefully. Also, if you have time on your hand, i'd recommend a focused 2-3 month prep to get to your target score. The more you stretch your prep, the more you'll tend to forget. A 700+ score is within your reach, my friend.

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for the encouragement! I had done 3 hours of studying before it as well so was a bit worn out. It was more of an introduction to understand the adaptive nature of the test and the scope of questions it will ask. I have a much better understanding of what the GMAT entails now. I know I could have slowed down, I did it more intentionally just to get through it (obviously wouldn’t do this on a $250 exam).
Director
Director
D
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2019, 10:12
Sawneagle wrote:
Hello,

27 year old, currently a U.S. Army officer attempting to study for GMAT while on deployment. I have put in around 40 hours of study over the past 3 weeks on Problem Solving exclusively. I am a bit discouraged scoring a 560 (Q35, V32) as I was an electrical engineering major in undergrad at a top 10 university.

I honestly rushed through without too much worry and as a result had 22 minutes left on quantitative section and 19 minutes left on verbal section. Perhaps all of that extra time I could have got an extra question or two correct.

After reviewing the questions I got wrong in Quant, there have been less ‘ahah’ moments and more simple mistake moments. So hopefully my next CAT which I will take a lot more seriously in 2 months goes much better.

I am a little rusty with the basics so I am currently going through basic 500 questions on all problem solving types after reading about the theory. I also read about 1 hour of Dostoevsky novels each night as my tougher, verbal material. I won’t need to complete an application until September 2020 so I have just over a year to reach my goal score of 700+ To try for a top 3 school. I hope it is feasible within a year to reach this goal score. I am willing to take the GMAT 5 times if need be and cancel lower scores.

Thank you.

Hi Sawneagle , Welcome to the GMAT club.
You have sufficient time to score 700+.concentrate more on 600-700 level questions. these are tricky questions.In this one year focus of your application as well.
Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2019, 10:41
Sawneagle wrote:
Hello,

Thank you.

Hi
I think the score of 560 on MGMAT CAT with only 40 hours study is not bad. I would suggest to brush up the basics of Quant from the MGMAT guides or from the Gmatclub Quant megathread. For Verbal I would suggest to study ffrom the MGMAT guides. They are comprehensive and cover the entire Gmat syllabus. After you have completed the theory, then you can start solving questions in a timed manner from the Gmat official guide. Then you should take a Gmatprep mock test and check your preparedness.
Hope it helps.

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2019, 13:53
Hi Sawneagle,

Studying now - far in advance of when you'll actually "need" your GMAT Score - is a smart choice. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you should not expect to have mastered any of the concepts just yet. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Going forward, you should plan to use ALL of the available time in each section; finishing any section of the GMAT 20 minutes in generally NOT a good thing - you likely 'rushed' through a number of question that you could have gotten correct if you had just slowed down, taken more notes, etc.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What study materials are you currently using?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2019, 20:46
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Sawneagle,

Studying now - far in advance of when you'll actually "need" your GMAT Score - is a smart choice. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you should not expect to have mastered any of the concepts just yet. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Going forward, you should plan to use ALL of the available time in each section; finishing any section of the GMAT 20 minutes in generally NOT a good thing - you likely 'rushed' through a number of question that you could have gotten correct if you had just slowed down, taken more notes, etc.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What study materials are you currently using?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

1. Currently using ‘All you need for Quant’ by Bunuel spending 3-7 days on each subject while taking extensive notes, watching supplementary YouTube videos, and solving 500 level, then 600 level, and eventually a little 700 level questions. I also have PowerScore CR Bible (I briefly read through it over a few days with no additional practice to get an idea of verbal).

I want to get through each of those to get a decent grasp on fundamentals. Next, I am considering a paid course that specializes in Quant, but I am really having a tough time finding an affordable course. My budget for GMAT is $40/month, which I can afford a monthly subscription every 3rd month.

2. My goal is to average 14 hours / week, realistically it will be between 8-16 hours depending on work. I can study consistently like this for the next 4.5 months. December will be very minimal studying (maybe once a week for 1-2 hours). Then January I can pick it up for a few more months if need be.

Thanks.
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2019, 10:28
Hi Sawneagle,

First off, 560 is not a bad start, so don't’ be discouraged OK? Regarding how to move forward with your GMAT studying, you need to ensure that you are following a linear and structured study plan that allows you to individually learn each GMAT quant and verbal topic and then practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery. Although I am not sure of what resources you are using, if you find that you need additional materials, check out some of the success stories of past GMAT students as well as reviews of various GMAT prep courses to see what prep materials have worked for other test-takers. Certainly, if you’d like more specific advice on how to improve your quant and verbal skills, feel free to reach out.

Lastly, you may find it helpful to read the following articles about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT and How to Learn More, Learn Faster, and Retain More Knowledge While Preparing for the GMAT.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 23:16
I have completed 40% of TTP within the last 6 weeks hitting all the required accuracies. Finished the first review exam. I took a GMATClub Quant CAT (free) today and received a Q40.

So MGMAT Q35 to GMATClub Q40. I hear GMATClub quant is a bit easier than MGMAT so I am not sure if it is a noticeable jump. I feel a lot more competent on many questions now, however was hoping for a slightly higher score after 6 weeks.

My timing strategy was not ideal and I think I just need to finish TTP and answer OG questions and do many CATs for the endurance and further review to get that Quant to a 48 or 49.

Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 18:38
Sawneagle wrote:
I have completed 40% of TTP within the last 6 weeks hitting all the required accuracies. Finished the first review exam. I took a GMATClub Quant CAT (free) today and received a Q40.

So MGMAT Q35 to GMATClub Q40. I hear GMATClub quant is a bit easier than MGMAT so I am not sure if it is a noticeable jump. I feel a lot more competent on many questions now, however was hoping for a slightly higher score after 6 weeks.

Hi Sawneagle,

Glad to see that you are using TTP!!

Regarding how to move forward, follow the TTP study plan exactly as it’s laid out and complete the course in full. If you do so, you’ll be in an awesome spot to dominate GMAT quant on test day.

If you need any further advice, feel free to reach out to me directly. Let’s do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 560 (Q35, V32) MGMAT CAT 1   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2019, 18:38

560 (Q35, V32) MGMAT CAT 1

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k