GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Mar 2019, 23:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

650 in December to 730 in February!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
650 in December to 730 in February!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 00:26
Hi All

I have not been active on Gmatclub in terms of posting, but I have used so much of your valuable knowledge, arguments, explanations and discussions to improve myself. I guess, at least now I should take my time to share my experience. I am not that good in writing detailed explanations, will try my best to keep it useful and informative.

650 - December 2018
After failing miserably in my first attempt in 2017 (590), I got back into the process early October 2018. I worked hard for 3 months using the following material:
01. Manhattan 2017 books 1-8
02. GMAT Official guide 2017
03. GMAT Quant Review 2017
04. GMAT Verbal Review 2017
05. GMAT and MGMAT CATs

I ended up scoring 650 (Q44, V34). Looking back, the main issue was I did not have any strategy, just knowledge. I tried to answer all the questions, did not manage my time, did not use answer choices, did not use number picking (Test IT).

670 - January 2019
I signed up for EmpowerGMAT 3 months course. I completed the course within 6 weeks. Since I did not have enough unused materials left, had to try GMATClub questions. Unfortunately those questions were too tough for me. I had to revert to official guide questions. Since I had already tried GMAC books at least once, I found them fairly easy. Just before the exam I was so confident that I could score 720. But I ended up scoring 670 (Q44, V38). The questions were way too hard compared to the ones I had tried during the latter part of my preparation. But, the biggest issue was I miscalculated the time I spent on the first 10-15 questions and panicked. I thought spent too much time and rushed through some questions. But that was not the case. Looking back I cannot believe I made such a silly mistake. But it's amazing how human beings crumble under pressure.

730 - February 2019
As you can imagine, I was devastated after scoring 670. I knew I could score 720. But it seemed way off. I contacted EmpowerGMAT and wanted to discuss what I should change. I have no experience with other prep companies, but I was amazed to see the advice I could get from EMPOWERgmatRichC himself. Rich was prompt in his responses and help me address my issues with more than 20 emails back and forth. I honestly did not expect such a service and so thankful to Rich and his team (specially Stacy). Another change I did, again as recommended by Rich, I bought VeritasPrep CATs (you get the question bank free with that). Those questions were much tougher than the questions in the official guide but they were extremely useful in preparing me for the real exam. I scored between 670-690, but was able to keep my confidence going as Rich kept on encouraging me saying "you are much closer to your target score than you think you are". I was committing many silly mistakes in the CATs, if I can avoid those I knew I could get to 720. Further, as many previous users have suggested, VeritasPrep questions are slightly on the harder side compared to the real GMAT test questions.
I took my official exam last week and scored 730 (Q49, V41) :) I am sure most of you can imagine how I felt after 4+ months of hard work and sacrifices.

In summary what helped me the most were the strategies such as testing the answers, picking numbers (Test It!) and most importantly avoid spending too much time on tough questions in Quant and just guess (Triage) some questions.

Also, learning from your mistakes is key. Specially the valuable explanations given by GMATclub experts such as:
01. Bunuel - without doubt the GOAT of GMAT Quant. Thank you.
02. GMATNinja - Thank you for wonderful explanations on sentence correction questions, and for all NBA references :)
03. VeritasKarishma - Thank you for unconventional methods to resolve Quant questions. For someone like myself who is not that strong in mathematics, those methods were immensely valuable

Of course as you can guess, my biggest appreciation goes to EMPOWERgmatRichC! THANK YOU!

Good Luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
CAT Tests
Re: 650 in December to 730 in February!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 00:33
NWSL

Congrats !!
Best of luck for your applications.
G
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13
GPA: 2.86

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 09:25
NWSL wrote:
Hi All

I have not been active on Gmatclub in terms of posting, but I have used so much of your valuable knowledge, arguments, explanations and discussions to improve myself. I guess, at least now I should take my time to share my experience. I am not that good in writing detailed explanations, will try my best to keep it useful and informative.

650 - December 2018
After failing miserably in my first attempt in 2017 (590), I got back into the process early October 2018. I worked hard for 3 months using the following material:
01. Manhattan 2017 books 1-8
02. GMAT Official guide 2017
03. GMAT Quant Review 2017
04. GMAT Verbal Review 2017
05. GMAT and MGMAT CATs

I ended up scoring 650 (Q44, V34). Looking back, the main issue was I did not have any strategy, just knowledge. I tried to answer all the questions, did not manage my time, did not use answer choices, did not use number picking (Test IT).

670 - January 2019
I signed up for EmpowerGMAT 3 months course. I completed the course within 6 weeks. Since I did not have enough unused materials left, had to try GMATClub questions. Unfortunately those questions were too tough for me. I had to revert to official guide questions. Since I had already tried GMAC books at least once, I found them fairly easy. Just before the exam I was so confident that I could score 720. But I ended up scoring 670 (Q44, V38). The questions were way too hard compared to the ones I had tried during the latter part of my preparation. But, the biggest issue was I miscalculated the time I spent on the first 10-15 questions and panicked. I thought spent too much time and rushed through some questions. But that was not the case. Looking back I cannot believe I made such a silly mistake. But it's amazing how human beings crumble under pressure.

730 - February 2019
As you can imagine, I was devastated after scoring 670. I knew I could score 720. But it seemed way off. I contacted EmpowerGMAT and wanted to discuss what I should change. I have no experience with other prep companies, but I was amazed to see the advice I could get from EMPOWERgmatRichC himself. Rich was prompt in his responses and help me address my issues with more than 20 emails back and forth. I honestly did not expect such a service and so thankful to Rich and his team (specially Stacy). Another change I did, again as recommended by Rich, I bought VeritasPrep CATs (you get the question bank free with that). Those questions were much tougher than the questions in the official guide but they were extremely useful in preparing me for the real exam. I scored between 670-690, but was able to keep my confidence going as Rich kept on encouraging me saying "you are much closer to your target score than you think you are". I was committing many silly mistakes in the CATs, if I can avoid those I knew I could get to 720. Further, as many previous users have suggested, VeritasPrep questions are slightly on the harder side compared to the real GMAT test questions.
I took my official exam last week and scored 730 (Q49, V41) :) I am sure most of you can imagine how I felt after 4+ months of hard work and sacrifices.

In summary what helped me the most were the strategies such as testing the answers, picking numbers (Test It!) and most importantly avoid spending too much time on tough questions in Quant and just guess (Triage) some questions.

Also, learning from your mistakes is key. Specially the valuable explanations given by GMATclub experts such as:
01. Bunuel - without doubt the GOAT of GMAT Quant. Thank you.
02. GMATNinja - Thank you for wonderful explanations on sentence correction questions, and for all NBA references :)
03. VeritasKarishma - Thank you for unconventional methods to resolve Quant questions. For someone like myself who is not that strong in mathematics, those methods were immensely valuable

Of course as you can guess, my biggest appreciation goes to EMPOWERgmatRichC! THANK YOU!

Good Luck!

Hi NWSL, Congratulation to you achieving dream score. Your GMAT journey and experiences definitely help us.
All the best for the admissions process.
CR Forum Moderator
D
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 09:34
Congratulations NWSL

730 is an amazing score!

All the best for your applications

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 620 Q40 V35
GPA: 3.32

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 13:34
Congratulations on the amazing score and thank you for sharing your story! It's inspiring to see that with hard work and time, achieving a 730 is possible!
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 14:39
Wow. that's quite a jump. Congratulations. That feeling when you see a 7 in the hundred's digit!:)

Posted from my mobile device

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 15:22
Hi NWSL,

That's OUTSTANDING news! With a 730/Q49, you can comfortably apply to any Schools that interest you - and I know that you're looking at some upcoming Round 3 application deadlines, so there's still some work to do! I would bet that if you bring the same energy and commitment to your applications that you brought to the GMAT, then things will turn out well - and you'll get to choose from a number of fantastic Schools. I hope you let us know which Program you opt for; we love hearing from our Alums about where they choose to attend School.

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 650 in December to 730 in February!   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2019, 15:22

650 in December to 730 in February!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap