It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 01:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

650 second attempt for ten years consulting experience

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Insead Sept '17
GPA: 3.5
650 second attempt for ten years consulting experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 00:02
Hi, team.

I need your help. I’ve been preparing for gmat for almost a year now and have attempted the exam twice. In my first attempt, I score 650 and three months after, I took another attempt and score a dismal 650 again. I was doing pretty well in the mocks.
I do have an unconventional background, so was aiming to touch 700, which I did in my mocks. I think I’ve exhausted all the mental capacity and energy to take the exam again.

I need your help in deciding which schools to apply to?

My background:
Female, 31 years old
Non-engineering
Started my own firm for a year
Have ten years of working in business research arms of leading consulting firms such as McKinsey and Deloitte.
Have strong extra-curricular activities such as trained yoga teacher and have traveled extensively. Moreover, I’ve a pretty compelling personal background. I’ve been the sole earner of my family since I was in my early twenties.

My long term goal is to become a consultant in organisation behaviour and I don’t necessarily have an immediate post mba goal. Although, immediately after my mba, I would like to work in a consulting firm, I have heard that a high gmat score is an implicit criteria for getting placed in a consulting firm.

I am targeting only a one year program and Insead has been the top most priority for me, does it still make sense to apply to Insead. And if not Insead, what other schools can I apply to ?
Isb comes to mind.

It would be great to know your opinions and feedback as I’m pretty devastated with the score and now in a bigger dilemma about the right college.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: 650 second attempt for ten years consulting experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 00:55
Nancy07 wrote:
Hi, team.

I need your help. I’ve been preparing for gmat for almost a year now and have attempted the exam twice. In my first attempt, I score 650 and three months after, I took another attempt and score a dismal 650 again. I was doing pretty well in the mocks.
I do have an unconventional background, so was aiming to touch 700, which I did in my mocks. I think I’ve exhausted all the mental capacity and energy to take the exam again.

I need your help in deciding which schools to apply to?

My background:
Female, 31 years old
Non-engineering
Started my own firm for a year
Have ten years of working in business research arms of leading consulting firms such as McKinsey and Deloitte.
Have strong extra-curricular activities such as trained yoga teacher and have traveled extensively. Moreover, I’ve a pretty compelling personal background. I’ve been the sole earner of my family since I was in my early twenties.

My long term goal is to become a consultant in organisation behaviour and I don’t necessarily have an immediate post mba goal. Although, immediately after my mba, I would like to work in a consulting firm, I have heard that a high gmat score is an implicit criteria for getting placed in a consulting firm.

I am targeting only a one year program and Insead has been the top most priority for me, does it still make sense to apply to Insead. And if not Insead, what other schools can I apply to ?
Isb comes to mind.

It would be great to know your opinions and feedback as I’m pretty devastated with the score and now in a bigger dilemma about the right college.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Well, I think I would need more detail before answering categorically... but with McKinsey on your resume, I think you could aim for INSEAD with your current score with a shot of making. An alternative strategy would be to retake and retool for R3. Or since it is INSEAD, aim for the January term which might be a better alternative anyhow, since it is the intake which has the internship.

But your profile does leave some questions open - like if you have been a consultant for McKinsey in the past (which would be a post-MBA goal for most folks) then why are you doing the MBA? What do you hope to attain?

As well as getting some details about you, your work experience, your progress, your volunteer work, etc etc etc

I hope this helps! And feel free to drop us a line for a free consultation.

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Insead Sept '17
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 02:04
Hi, Jon. Thanks for getting back. I already completed the consultation form a few weeks ago and spoke to one of the admission officers. You may want to check my background.

In the long run, I want to become a consultant in organisation behaviour.

At McKinsey, I was in an analyst role, not as a consultant.

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you
Nancy

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: The MBA Exchange
INSEAD: MBA

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Nancy,

INSEAD is definitely a good option. Not only because you have the McKinsey brand on your resume, but because of your entrepreneurial experience and your international exposure.

However, please keep in mind that the GMAT average of the last INSEAD class has been 712, and the range 670-740. Gaining admission with 650 is definitely possible, but you will need to submit an outstanding application (e.g. resume, essay, LORs...).

The Round 1 deadline for the January 2019 intake is in March, therefore it is possible to put together a compelling application during this time.

Other 1-year programs you might consider are:

(1) IMD - Switzerland
(2) Cambridge Judge - UK
(3) IE - Spain
(4) SDA Bocconi - Italy

Also, you could consider LBS since you could finish the program in 15 months, and HEC Paris as its program is 16 months.

Good luck!

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA
HR Director
Independent Consultant
MBA Admissions & Career Coach

+52 1 55 2702 0059
alex@ruizlee.es | alex.lee@insead.edu
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee
http://www.ruizlee.es

Please, email me your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 05:25
Nancy07 wrote:
Hi, Jon. Thanks for getting back. I already completed the consultation form a few weeks ago and spoke to one of the admission officers. You may want to check my background.

In the long run, I want to become a consultant in organisation behaviour.

At McKinsey, I was in an analyst role, not as a consultant.

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you
Nancy

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Dear Nancy, the consultation form was for us not for the schools or McKinsey :)

Ultimately, you can always try. Although despite your fatigue, if you feel a 700 is a score you can get I would definitely urge you to retake again, as it will make a fundamental difference. And if you apply with a score that is 50 points below average, you are taking a grand risk of getting a rejection letter.

Wishing you the best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: 650 second attempt for ten years consulting experience   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 05:25

650 second attempt for ten years consulting experience

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap