It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1773 [0], given: 794

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 07:54
shelrod007 wrote:
Could let us know the last RC book you used ?

Posted from my mobile device

What do you mean by "last RC book"? I never used any other resource except OG and LSAT RC sets for practice.

Hope this helps.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 09:08
That's a wonderful journey that finished on a very high note! Thank you for sharing your experience and tips.

I am intrigued that after using pre-think for CR questions you still relied on the process of elimination. When there is an answer choice that matches your own answer, what makes you hesitant to select that answer choice and ignore all others?

Offering top quality online and offline GMAT tutoring service in Vietnam, Southeast Asia, and worldwide.

$60/hour as of November 2017.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 13

Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 11:14
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
That's a wonderful journey that finished on a very high note! Thank you for sharing your experience and tips.

I am intrigued that after using pre-think for CR questions you still relied on the process of elimination. When there is an answer choice that matches your own answer, what makes you hesitant to select that answer choice and ignore all others?

Thanks for your message. I used POE even after prethinking as a matter of habit. Doing well in GMAT is all about finding those methods for every single different question type and then sticking to your method as and when you get a similar question. POE made me confident that the option chosen by me was the correct one. This also had an indirect effect on my thought process. I was not thinking too much about the last question(s) and concentrated only on the question at hand. This provided me a good rhythm and hence the good score.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 189

Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 08:59
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your study experience in details. Could you share about your experience with critical reasoning practice more?

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1773 [1], given: 794

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
kimrani wrote:
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your study experience in details. Could you share about your experience with critical reasoning practice more?

CR is actually present in both, CR itself and RC in GMAT Verbal. The best way, IMO, is to read the question/recognize the type of question (weaken/strengthen/assumption etc), read the prompt, understand the structure, break it down into general information/premise/counterpremise/assumptions etc and then do 'pre-think' as to what could ONE possible answer be to plug in the CR gap. This pre-think answer may or may not be present in the options but doing this will surely help you make sense of the question raised and the prompt given to you. Then use POE (process of elimination) with genuine reasons to eliminate all but 1 option. Doing this will make you confident of your choice.

I made sure to hit <2 minute mark while practicing and used OG (only medium and hard questions) and LSAT LR for practice. Exhausted all GMATPREP questions as well in my practice.

Hope this helps.

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 09:16
Engr2012 wrote:
kimrani wrote:

CR is actually present in both, CR itself and RC in GMAT Verbal. The best way, IMO, is to read the question/recognize the type of question (weaken/strengthen/assumption etc), read the prompt, understand the structure, break it down into general information/premise/counterpremise/assumptions etc and then do 'pre-think' as to what could ONE possible answer be to plug in the CR gap. This pre-think answer may or may not be present in the options but doing this will surely help you make sense of the question raised and the prompt given to you. Then use POE (process of elimination) with genuine reasons to eliminate all but 1 option. Doing this will make you confident of your choice.

I made sure to hit <2 minute mark while practicing and used OG (only medium and hard questions) and LSAT LR for practice. Exhausted all GMATPREP questions as well in my practice.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the advice! Is there anything that you find particularly useful to boost Verbal score by 10 points from GMAT 2 to 3? That's a really good result from 2-month studying.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
kimrani wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
kimrani wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the advice! Is there anything that you find particularly useful to boost Verbal score by 10 points from GMAT 2 to 3? That's a really good result from 2-month studying.

Getting ESR from mba.com to understand what were the areas of improvement, making sure to focus on a 'habit' for answering SC/CR/RC questions. Treating RCs as big CR prompts and pre-thinking for ALL CR/RC questions would be the ones I would say helped me the most.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 00:16
Congratulations on your result! Could you give me some advice for the AWA and what should a good essay look like?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 22:39
Great score and amazing post! Looking at my mock results I will need a retake too I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2017, 22:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: EMPOWERgmatRichC, ydmuley, bb

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap