GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jan 2019, 09:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

     January 22, 2019

     January 22, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

     January 26, 2019

     January 26, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2636
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 06:54
shelrod007 wrote:
Could let us know the last RC book you used ?

Posted from my mobile device


What do you mean by "last RC book"? I never used any other resource except OG and LSAT RC sets for practice.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jun 2016
Posts: 280
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 08:08
That's a wonderful journey that finished on a very high note! Thank you for sharing your experience and tips.

I am intrigued that after using pre-think for CR questions you still relied on the process of elimination. When there is an answer choice that matches your own answer, what makes you hesitant to select that answer choice and ignore all others?

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Are you aiming for a 700+ GMAT score and a top 10 MBA?
If you are, we should talk. I specialize in ambitious students.


$80/hour as of May 2018.


http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2636
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 10:14
HanoiGMATtutor wrote:
That's a wonderful journey that finished on a very high note! Thank you for sharing your experience and tips.

I am intrigued that after using pre-think for CR questions you still relied on the process of elimination. When there is an answer choice that matches your own answer, what makes you hesitant to select that answer choice and ignore all others?

Posted from my mobile device


Thanks for your message. I used POE even after prethinking as a matter of habit. Doing well in GMAT is all about finding those methods for every single different question type and then sticking to your method as and when you get a similar question. POE made me confident that the option chosen by me was the correct one. This also had an indirect effect on my thought process. I was not thinking too much about the last question(s) and concentrated only on the question at hand. This provided me a good rhythm and hence the good score.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Posts: 45
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 07:59
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your study experience in details. Could you share about your experience with critical reasoning practice more?

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2636
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 08:07
1
kimrani wrote:
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your study experience in details. Could you share about your experience with critical reasoning practice more?

Posted from my mobile device


CR is actually present in both, CR itself and RC in GMAT Verbal. The best way, IMO, is to read the question/recognize the type of question (weaken/strengthen/assumption etc), read the prompt, understand the structure, break it down into general information/premise/counterpremise/assumptions etc and then do 'pre-think' as to what could ONE possible answer be to plug in the CR gap. This pre-think answer may or may not be present in the options but doing this will surely help you make sense of the question raised and the prompt given to you. Then use POE (process of elimination) with genuine reasons to eliminate all but 1 option. Doing this will make you confident of your choice.

I made sure to hit <2 minute mark while practicing and used OG (only medium and hard questions) and LSAT LR for practice. Exhausted all GMATPREP questions as well in my practice.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Posts: 45
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 08:16
Engr2012 wrote:
kimrani wrote:
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your study experience in details. Could you share about your experience with critical reasoning practice more?

Posted from my mobile device


CR is actually present in both, CR itself and RC in GMAT Verbal. The best way, IMO, is to read the question/recognize the type of question (weaken/strengthen/assumption etc), read the prompt, understand the structure, break it down into general information/premise/counterpremise/assumptions etc and then do 'pre-think' as to what could ONE possible answer be to plug in the CR gap. This pre-think answer may or may not be present in the options but doing this will surely help you make sense of the question raised and the prompt given to you. Then use POE (process of elimination) with genuine reasons to eliminate all but 1 option. Doing this will make you confident of your choice.

I made sure to hit <2 minute mark while practicing and used OG (only medium and hard questions) and LSAT LR for practice. Exhausted all GMATPREP questions as well in my practice.

Hope this helps.


Thank you for the advice! Is there anything that you find particularly useful to boost Verbal score by 10 points from GMAT 2 to 3? That's a really good result from 2-month studying.
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2636
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 10:17
1
kimrani wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
kimrani wrote:
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your study experience in details. Could you share about your experience with critical reasoning practice more?

Posted from my mobile device


CR is actually present in both, CR itself and RC in GMAT Verbal. The best way, IMO, is to read the question/recognize the type of question (weaken/strengthen/assumption etc), read the prompt, understand the structure, break it down into general information/premise/counterpremise/assumptions etc and then do 'pre-think' as to what could ONE possible answer be to plug in the CR gap. This pre-think answer may or may not be present in the options but doing this will surely help you make sense of the question raised and the prompt given to you. Then use POE (process of elimination) with genuine reasons to eliminate all but 1 option. Doing this will make you confident of your choice.

I made sure to hit <2 minute mark while practicing and used OG (only medium and hard questions) and LSAT LR for practice. Exhausted all GMATPREP questions as well in my practice.

Hope this helps.


Thank you for the advice! Is there anything that you find particularly useful to boost Verbal score by 10 points from GMAT 2 to 3? That's a really good result from 2-month studying.


Getting ESR from mba.com to understand what were the areas of improvement, making sure to focus on a 'habit' for answering SC/CR/RC questions. Treating RCs as big CR prompts and pre-thinking for ALL CR/RC questions would be the ones I would say helped me the most.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jul 2017
Posts: 33
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 23:16
Congratulations on your result! Could you give me some advice for the AWA and what should a good essay look like?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jun 2016
Posts: 47
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 21:39
Great score and amazing post! Looking at my mock results I will need a retake too I guess!


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Posts: 2
650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 05:01
Did you accept your first score? If yes, did it have any impact on your college application?

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2636
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 05:03
AditiJain098 wrote:
Did you accept your first score? If yes, did it have any impact on your college application?

Posted from my mobile device


When I gave my GMAT, there was no way I could’ve canceled it or would’ve known what my score was without looking at it. Rules changed after I got my score. I only applied to schools once I had the score that I wanted.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 04:30
amazing journey my friend, respect.
hope to join you at the top soon (:
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score &nbs [#permalink] 09 Jan 2019, 04:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

650 to 750, a 10-month journey to the score

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.