GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

680 Score (Q42, V41) trying to get into Duke's MiM. Retake?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Duke Fuqua
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.62
680 Score (Q42, V41) trying to get into Duke's MiM. Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 12:59
Hi guys,

This is my first post on the GMAT Forum--but I'm really in a fix and figured, who better to ask?

I took my GMAT yesterday (August 7) and scored a 680 (Q42, V41). I was expecting at least a 700, and got really thrown off in quants. I did take the GMAT a month ago (July 1) and scored a 620 (had some issues at the test center, this wasn't an accurate representation of my mocks' average)--so this is a huge improvement. But, the reality is that I just don't test well. I get nervous at the center even if I take mocks that mimic the actual setting. I think it's just the weight I put on this exam (just the whole "my future depends on this, no biggie" thing) that really hits me hard.

Personally, I don't think I have enough work experience for an MBA so my top choice is Duke's MiM program (mid 80% range: 570-750). I want to apply for their ED this September, so I'm not sure it makes sense to retake this test. To give you a little bit of background about me:

- UCLA '16: 3.62 GPA, BA Sociology (with pre-med)
- 2 years of full-time work ex (over 5 if part time counts): I worked at a VR startup for 4 months after graduating, after which I started my own company. I've been running my own company (it's a travel company for remote professionals that focus' on productivity and wellness) since then I've built it ground up and now have a team working for me, but I can't say it's doing very well--which is what's pushing me to get back to the world of academia

I'd love to hear your opinions. Do you think I should retake the GMAT? Do you think I have a good shot at Duke? Are there any schools you can recommend I look into?

Thank you,
V
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 680 Score (Q42, V41) trying to get into Duke's MiM. Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 20:02
Hi vvajpeyi,

First off, a 680 is a strong score (it's right around the 85th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into Duke. As such, a retest might not be necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

If you do choose to retest though, then we should examine how you were studying for the Quant section. Once you've decided on whether to retest or not, you should post back here (or you can PM me directly) and we can talk through your study options going forward.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 20:23
vvajpeyi wrote:
Hi guys,

This is my first post on the GMAT Forum--but I'm really in a fix and figured, who better to ask?

I took my GMAT yesterday (August 7) and scored a 680 (Q42, V41). I was expecting at least a 700, and got really thrown off in quants. I did take the GMAT a month ago (July 1) and scored a 620 (had some issues at the test center, this wasn't an accurate representation of my mocks' average)--so this is a huge improvement. But, the reality is that I just don't test well. I get nervous at the center even if I take mocks that mimic the actual setting. I think it's just the weight I put on this exam (just the whole "my future depends on this, no biggie" thing) that really hits me hard.

Personally, I don't think I have enough work experience for an MBA so my top choice is Duke's MiM program (mid 80% range: 570-750). I want to apply for their ED this September, so I'm not sure it makes sense to retake this test. To give you a little bit of background about me:

- UCLA '16: 3.62 GPA, BA Sociology (with pre-med)
- 2 years of full-time work ex (over 5 if part time counts): I worked at a VR startup for 4 months after graduating, after which I started my own company. I've been running my own company (it's a travel company for remote professionals that focus' on productivity and wellness) since then I've built it ground up and now have a team working for me, but I can't say it's doing very well--which is what's pushing me to get back to the world of academia

I'd love to hear your opinions. Do you think I should retake the GMAT? Do you think I have a good shot at Duke? Are there any schools you can recommend I look into?

Thank you,
V

Hi vvajpeyi

First of all hats off to V41.Thats an amazing verbal score.Don't be low.

In my opinion you should order your ESR and figure out your areas of improvement. Q42 means you are lacking in application of the concepts. You can definitely improve that within a short span of time.

I suggest you take one more attempt after improvement of quant and I'm pretty sure you will get a wonderful score.

All the very best! :)

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Duke Fuqua
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.62

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 23:34
Thanks for the positivity, Rich! I'm still learning to navigate the forum so I'll try to reach out to experts directly and will DM you shortly!

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi vvajpeyi,

First off, a 680 is a strong score (it's right around the 85th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into Duke. As such, a retest might not be necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

If you do choose to retest though, then we should examine how you were studying for the Quant section. Once you've decided on whether to retest or not, you should post back here (or you can PM me directly) and we can talk through your study options going forward.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 10:29
Hi vvajpeyi,

I wanted to check back in. Did you make a decision about whether to take your GMAT? If so, feel free to reach out, and I’d be happy to help.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 680 Score (Q42, V41) trying to get into Duke's MiM. Retake? &nbs [#permalink] 20 Aug 2018, 10:29

680 Score (Q42, V41) trying to get into Duke's MiM. Retake?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap