GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

7 people sit at the round table. In how many ways can we

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
7 people sit at the round table. In how many ways can we  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2011, 04:05
7 people sit at the round table. In how many ways can we sit them so that Bob and Bill don't sit opposing each other?

My solution:

We solve the reverse problem: In how many ways can we sit them so that Bob and Bill sit opposing each other?

positive cases = 1*1*5!
all cases = 1*6!

don't sit opposing each other = 6! - 5!
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: 7 people round table  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2011, 06:43
nonameee wrote:
So, I have found the exact wording of the problem and I've made a mistake:

Seven people are to be seated at a round table. Bill and Bob don't want to sit next to each other. How many seating arrangements are possible?

So in that case, the correct solution is:

6! - 2!*5!

As for my original question (i.e., they Bob and Bill refuse to sit opposite each other, the correct solution, IMO, should be:

6! - 5!

But I would still like some math experts to check it. Bunuel?

Question #1: Seven people are to be seated at a round table. Bill and Bob don't want to sit next to each other. How many seating arrangements are possible?

Total # of arrangements around the circular table: \((7-1)!=6!\);
Arrangements when Bill and Bob sit next to each other: 5!*2: consider Bill and Bob as one unit - {Bill, Bob}. Now we have total 6 units: {Bill, Bob}, {1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {5}. Total # of arrangements of these 6 units around the table is \((6-1)!=5!\) and Bill and Bob within the unit can be arranged in 2 way: {Bill, Bob} and {Bob, Bill};

So, # of arrangements when Bill and Bob don't sit next to each other is: \(6!-2*5!\).

Question #2: Seven people are to be seated at a round table. Bill and Bob don't want to sit opposite to each other. How many seating arrangements are possible?

Now, if we consider "opposite" to mean "directly opposite", meaning that Bill and Bob shouldn't sit at the endpoints of the diameter of the circular table, then total # of arrangements will simply be \((7-1)!=6!\), because if 7 (odd) people are distributed evenly around a circle no two people are directly opposite each other (no diagonal in 7 sided regular polygon passes through the center).

If the question were: SIX people are to be seated at a round table. Bill and Bob don't want to sit opposite to each other. How many seating arrangements are possible?

Total # of arrangements around the circular table: \((6-1)!=5!\);

Now, Bill can have 5 people opposite him. In 1/5 of the cases he'll be opposite Bob (in equal # of arrangements he'll be opposite each of these 5 people), so all but these 1/5 of the cases are acceptable (4/5 of the cases are acceptable). So # of arrangements when Bill and Bob don't sit opposite each other is: \(5!*\frac{4}{5}\).

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2011, 01:26
nonameee wrote:
Can someone please explain why we have to multiply 5! by 2? Thanks.

Let's name them;

7 People: Bob,Bill,Red,Blue,White,Pink,Purple
Round Table: T
7 Chairs: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Let chairs 1 and 4 be opposite each other;
Bob is sitting on 1 and Bill is sitting on 4;
The rest of the people on 2,3,5,6,7 - can rearrange themselves in 5! ways

Now, Bill and Bob swap their positions;
Bob is sitting on 4 and Bill is sitting on 1;
The rest of the people on 2,3,5,6,7 - can rearrange themselves in 5! ways

Thus total number of ways in which Bob and Bill are sitting opposite each other = 2*5! = 120*2 = 240

We have to find in how many ways they are NOT sitting opposite; subtract 240 from the total number of possible arrangements;

In circular permutation, Total number of arrangements of n people = (n-1)!
Here number of people = 7
Arrangements = (7-1)! = 6!= 720

Number of ways Bob and Bill are NOT sitting opposite = 720-240 = 480.

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

General Discussion
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2011, 04:28
Total number of ways in which all 7 people can sit; (7-1)! = 6!
Let's fix Bob and Bill's positions to be opposite each other. Rest 5 can sit in 5! ways. Now, BOB and Bill toggle their position; rest 5 will rearrange themselves in 5! way again.

Bob and Bill don't sit at the opposite tables = 6!-2*5! = 5!(6-2) = 4*5! = 4*120 = 480.

What's the official answer?

~fluke

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2011, 04:38
480 is the official answer. Why did you multiply 5! by 2 (2*5!)?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2011, 04:54
Consider Bob and Bill sitting next to each other. The order can be Bob to the right or left of Bill. This happens for all 5! ways the remaining 5 ppl arrange themselves in 5 places. Hence 5! for the 5 ppl multiplied by 2 ways in which Bob and Bill can sit next to each other

Deepakh

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2011, 01:06
Can someone please explain why we have to multiply 5! by 2? Thanks.

The reason I'm asking is this:

When we have 4 couples and want to sit them so that a husband sits opposite his wife, we get:

1*1*6*1*4*1*2*1 = 48 and we don't multiply it by 2.

I am confused as these two questions seem pretty much the same to me.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2011, 01:31
OK, fluke, I understand everything. But can you please explain the difference between this question and the following one:

When we have 4 couples and want to sit them so that a husband sits opposite his wife, we get:

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2011, 03:23
nonameee wrote:
OK, fluke, I understand everything. But can you please explain the difference between this question and the following one:

Your reasoning seems correct, mine flawed.

It should be 6!-5!=720-120=600 as reversing positions for Bill and Bob doesn't change relative positions for the rest of them.

One such position where two positions will be considered same are;
Bill,P1,P2,Bob,P3,P4,P5
Bob,P3,P4,P5,Bill,P1,P2

I too need an expert opinion on this one. Someone please confirm a good way to analyze this one.

~fluke

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2011, 04:02
So, I have found the exact wording of the problem and I've made a mistake:

Seven people are to be seated at a round table. Bill and Bob don't want to sit next to each other. How many seating arrangements are possible?

So in that case, the correct solution is:

6! - 2!*5!

As for my original question (i.e., they Bob and Bill refuse to sit opposite each other, the correct solution, IMO, should be:

6! - 5!

But I would still like some math experts to check it. Bunuel?
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2011, 00:16
Bunuel, thanks for your solutions. Great as always.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2011, 19:10
Bunuel
Im confused with your approach of the the second part where they dont want to sit opposite each other. We dont know how many seats are on the table and we dont know if there can be an empty spot on the table.

So how did you approach this qn?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2011, 04:23
mbafall2011 wrote:
Bunuel
Im confused with your approach of the the second part where they dont want to sit opposite each other. We dont know how many seats are on the table and we dont know if there can be an empty spot on the table.

So how did you approach this qn?

What empty spots? ...

Anyway: assume they are evenly distributed around the table.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2011, 08:33
We dont know how many people the table can seat. if it can seat 10/20 etc etc.
If you have 7 people sitting on a table that can seat 20, then if there can be no empty spots between people, the probability that any two people will sit opposite each other is 0?

Also how do you seat 7 people on a round table evenly?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2011, 08:49
mbafall2011 wrote:
We dont know how many people the table can seat. if it can seat 10/20 etc etc.
If you have 7 people sitting on a table that can seat 20, then if there can be no empty spots between people, the probability that any two people will sit opposite each other is 0?

Also how do you seat 7 people on a round table evenly?

This does not make ANY sense. The question is supposed to be a PS problem and if we can not safely assume that there are exactly 7 seats then it has no solution at all.

Next, you can distribute 7 people evenly around the table the same way as 2, 3, ..., or 100 people: divide the circumference into 7 equal parts, mark it and place a person there.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2011, 05:57
Very good question
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.66
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: 7 people sit at the round table. In how many ways can we  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 21:00
Can we not solve this in a way where we don't subtract the "opposite" case from the total possibilities?

Bob can select the seats in 1 way since this is a circular table. Bill can sit on any seat apart from the opposite seat so 6 remaining seats - 1 = 5 ways and rest of the people can arrange themselves in 5! ways.

So 5 x 5! way = 5x5x4x3x2 = 600.

I know this isn't the answer. Can anyone explain why is my approach wrong?
Intern
Intern
B
Re: 7 people sit at the round table. In how many ways can we  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2018, 06:25
Another way to see the answer for opposite, again assuming we only care about relative positioning. I take the example where there are 6 guests.

Bob has 6 slots to choose from. Bill has then 5-1=4 slots. The rest have 4!. So answer is 6*4*4!, which we divide by 6 for the number of potential rotations around the table.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 7 people sit at the round table. In how many ways can we &nbs [#permalink] 21 May 2018, 06:25

7 people sit at the round table. In how many ways can we

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap