Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
700 and confused? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi mehulsharma,

First off, a 700/Q50 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest might not be necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile (as opposed to just relying on your cousin's questionable advice). There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: 700 and confused? [#permalink]
egmat wrote:
Mehul - I am not sure where your cousin got this impression that a retake on the test is considered a negative on your application. At the AIGAC summit in June, admission officers from top schools confirmed the following points about retakes:

1. Most schools are fine with up to 3 attempts. In fact, they perceive it as a positive character trait if you improve considerably (since you demonstrate a willingness to improve)
2. Some schools even asked candidates to notify improved GMAT Score even after applying to school
3. Also some schools mentioned that for wait listed candidates – improved GMAT score can be a plus

Lastly, some schools admitted that for competitive applicant pools (read Indian IT male), high GMAT score is used as a filter.

Schools that attended this summit - Tuck, HAAS, MIT Sloan, Harvard, Babson, Boston University, Yale, IESE, Stern, INSEAD, UCLA Anderson, London Business School, Rotman, Darden, Tepper, Wharton, Stanford, HKS, etc. This summit was hosted by MIT Sloan and HBS.

I hope this addresses your concern.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Thank you for this information. Could you elaborate on the use of the GMAT score as a filter? If an applicant's score is below the threshold, what exactly happens to the application?

Posted from my mobile device
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Most likely, it does not get looked at. Note, this is only at certain schools and not all top schools. Also, its been long known that par scores for students from different regions are different. Take a look at the article below:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/on-b-school ... 1415236311

Even though this article talks about Americans, based on the inputs that I have received both from our students and from certain admission officers from B-schools, I have concluded that par scores for competitive pools are approx. 20 points higher.

-Rajat
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Most likely, it does not get looked at. Note, this is only at certain schools and not all top schools. Also, its been long known that par scores for students from different regions are different. Take a look at the article below:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/on-b-school ... 1415236311

Even though this article talks about Americans, based on the inputs that I have received both from our students and from certain admission officers from B-schools, I have concluded that par scores for competitive pools are approx. 20 points higher.

-Rajat

I actually read that WSJ a while ago. I've been trying to figure out what business schools do with applications with subpar GMAT scores. Obviously even top schools such as HBS and Wharton accept students with GMAT scores below 650, so I tend to think that business schools have a way of not dismissing applications based solely on the GMAT result.

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mehulsharma,,

First off, a 700 (with a Q50) is a great GMAT score! Certainly that score should be enough to get your foot in the door at many business schools, but because you scored higher on your practice exams, you may consider a retake without worrying too much about further extensive study.

It sounds, judging by your experience on test day, as if nerves/fatigue played a role in your lower verbal score. If you do retake, do you plan to do so in the next 16 days? Also, in what round are you applying to business schools, and when are your deadlines?

I also would not worry about how business schools view a retake. I know plenty of students who have taken the GMAT as many as 3 times and are currently attending schools such as HBS, Stanford, and Wharton. We don’t know what kind of evidence your cousin has for saying that schools look unfavorably on retaking, but it isn’t something we have seen, in general.

If you do feel that nerves played a role in your GMAT, please look at a detailed article I wrote that provides valuable test day tips and strategies that should help calm your nerves on test day.

Try this article too: Get Excited About Taking Your GMAT.

If you need any further advice, feel free to reach out.
GMAT Club Bot