GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 22:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

700 on 1st GMAT... should I retake?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
700 on 1st GMAT... should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 13:09
Hey everyone, I've just finished my first GMAT and am happy to say I've managed to score a 700. I put together a rigorous study plan of Manhattan Prep + OG for 10 weeks at 15 hours/week, so I think it's fair to say I've plateaued in the realm of individual studying. My later practice tests ranged from 660-720, so I expected a score in this range. My question is: is it a good use of my time to take one more test? I've provided additional details below

-46 Quant, 40 Verbal
-I'm applying to NYU, Columbia, Northwestern, UChicago, and Harvard in round 1. Will consider "safe schools" in round 2
-I'm in a decently reputable program called "GE's Financial Management Program (FMP)"... this consists of diverse roles in FP&A, Commercial Finance, Internal M&A, Supply Chain and a few additional odds & ends. I will also be an expatriate in the UK for 6 months before I submit my application as well
-My leadership experience at work is notable; 6 months spent leading recruitment for the program, 6 months as President of the program
-Volunteer experience and extracurricular activities are decent; although probably not the strongest part of my application

I'm happy to go in to more detail, but does anyone have advice or insights? I know I'm on the left side of the bell curve for my desired programs, so I would like to do whatever I can to increase my chances.

Thanks!
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
700 on 1st GMAT... should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 02:12
newman123 wrote:
Hey everyone, I've just finished my first GMAT and am happy to say I've managed to score a 700. I put together a rigorous study plan of Manhattan Prep + OG for 10 weeks at 15 hours/week, so I think it's fair to say I've plateaued in the realm of individual studying. My later practice tests ranged from 660-720, so I expected a score in this range. My question is: is it a good use of my time to take one more test? I've provided additional details below

-46 Quant, 40 Verbal
-I'm applying to NYU, Columbia, Northwestern, UChicago, and Harvard in round 1. Will consider "safe schools" in round 2
-I'm in a decently reputable program called "GE's Financial Management Program (FMP)"... this consists of diverse roles in FP&A, Commercial Finance, Internal M&A, Supply Chain and a few additional odds & ends. I will also be an expatriate in the UK for 6 months before I submit my application as well
-My leadership experience at work is notable; 6 months spent leading recruitment for the program, 6 months as President of the program
-Volunteer experience and extracurricular activities are decent; although probably not the strongest part of my application

I'm happy to go in to more detail, but does anyone have advice or insights? I know I'm on the left side of the bell curve for my desired programs, so I would like to do whatever I can to increase my chances.

Thanks!

HI if i were you I'd retake and the reasons for the same are as follows -

1) V40 - that's huge and now i'll prepare myself to get at least a Q49 and take my score to 730 or more

2) Looking at the average gmat scores of the schools i'm trying to apply I'll try to be in +- 20 points of the average score

For example - Harvard - 729 avg gmat
Thus scoring a 730 will help improve my chances, No it does not guarantee a seat but it'll help :)

Hope this helps

Regards,
HK
Experts' Global Representative
G
Re: 700 on 1st GMAT... should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 02:36
newman123 wrote:

-46 Quant, 40 Verbal

Thanks!

Hi newman123,

We would definitely recommend that you retake the GMAT. The schools you are looking to apply to in the first round have a higher average GMAT score, and with a 700, you will fall slightly short. More importantly, considering you are looking to apply in R1, you still have time to prepare and boost your score. We are sure you will manage to do so! :)

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: 700 on 1st GMAT... should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 14:25
You will def want to retake...at a minimum you should aim for 730 but depending on your profile even higher if your from an overrepresented pool. The GMAT is not the end all be all but if you're in range with your score it makes things must easier when it comes to being competitive on decision day!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 700 on 1st GMAT... should I retake? &nbs [#permalink] 27 Feb 2018, 14:25

700 on 1st GMAT... should I retake?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap