GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 04:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

750 (Q51/V40) using free materials!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
750 (Q51/V40) using free materials!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 13:48
I took my first shot at the GMAT two days ago, and ended up scoring well enough to rule out ever attempting it again (unless it expires!). 750 (Q51/V40/IR8) - around what I was expecting from my mocks and questions bank accuracy. Just a little disappointed by how I handled the verbal section, but overall relieved that no school will reject me solely because of my score as long as i have an otherwise solid application.

Background- Fresh out of college, decided to take the GMAT early on so that I could simply live life later and soak up experience at work! It would suck to worry about math problems and grammar while things that are much more important keep happening around you. Anyways, I plan to apply to bschool at least three years from now, hopefully to the best places there are. My dream school is still undecided, but I'm leaning towards UCBooth or Haas (aim high!) for now.

Resources:
Everything I used is free and available on GMAT Club. Early on when I started preparing, I read an article by a 770 scorer who had similarly done everything using free material. I connected with that, and made it a model for how I would crack the GMAT- cheap and effective. Did nothing but prepare for a month and voila! 750. Mostly, I practiced on 700-800 level qbanks, with theoretical support from the material on site. Bunuel qs as a finisher for quant and rounded out verbal with harder questions from OG posted on forums. Strict monitoring of your own performance and catching yourself when you slack are key to improving steadily when you don't have someone waiting behind you with a cane in hand.

My mocks
I took a whole bunch of them towards the end (Saved all the free mocks expecting that they would pay off eventually).
MGMAT1: 680 - Earliest one before any prep
GMATPREP1: 760 - Midway through prep. These are not representative because i came across around 25% of the questions before
Kaplan: 740
Princeton: 740
Veritas, economist: around the same

About mocks: Mocks should try to be as representative as possible, but most mocks felt nothing like GMAT prep to me. Princeton's quant was too easy. Veritas had really strange questions in verbal and its quant was way too hard. Despite that, with a 50% accuracy, I scored a 740. The Economist actually had some wrong advice on some its RC questions that threw me off my game for some time. Kaplan was the only test that I felt tried to replicate both the difficulty and the results of the actual test. Anyone can design a test of any difficulty and run a regression to get accurate result scores, but its important to simulate the difficulty of the test, something i felt only Kaplan managed to do.

Random things:
1. If you have a theoretical base stronger than what the GMAT demands, nothing can stop you. The GMAT says that it tests high school concepts, but many of its tougher quant questions simply play around with higher concepts and Zero-integer-pos-neg traps. If those higher concepts are old news for you, and you can keep calm and stay on the lookout for traps, it will reflect in your quant score.

2. Verbal is a beast. At higher difficulties, it becomes harder to find qbanks that seem like quality material and you might end up ignoring actual flaws in your process when you start doubting the quality of a qbank. OG doesn't help much- the toughest questions i found online didn't match up to what i faced on the actual test. Only in the last few days did I realize that an 80% accuracy isn't good enough when you get a bunch of questions wrong in the final section. And thats exactly what happened to me in the test. Oh well. I knew i had messed up in verbal but I maintained my composure and didn't jump to any conclusions. Went on to score Q51 without a break.

3. My IR score was surprising, but it seemed reasonable enough because the section itself was a breeze. IR questions are a blessing close to exam date. They're a good mix of verbal and quant reasoning, but not too rigorous on either, and useful to keep your mind sharp in the run up.

4. On exam day, I chose the VQRA sequence. I never tried any other format and maybe i should have. You never know how the initial panic and the process of getting into second gear hurt your initial section unless you experiment.

5. Massive qbanks are the pillar to GMAT preparation. Build a solid theoretical foundation, attack qbanks with discipline, mark your mistakes and return to the theory to improve. That's all I did.

About GMAT Club- brilliant site, great community, awesome resources, incredibly dedicated people and so much more. Its really great that despite being named "GMAT" club, they realize that the test is just one step in the application. I love the focus on MBA advice, school info, and all of the general stuff that's going to help post-GMAT people like me. The test is just a test, get it done and move on!
Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.95
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 750 (Q51/V40) using free materials!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 22:12
Congratulations on the great score! Did you just use the GMAT Club Error log to keep track of your questions? Also by questions banks, do you mean the GMAT Club forum questions or some other workbooks/sources of sorts?

If you found this relevant and useful, please Smash that Kudos button!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 04:10
Thanks nkin! I used 700-800 level qbanks I found by searching on the forums here. Qs were sorted topic wise and I could immediately see that they were quite comprehensive, so I went for it and made those central to my prep.

I did maintain logs but only on excel and that too of my daily progress. I didn't maintain logs of specific errors although I marked all the answers I got wrong and logged my subject wise accuracy. I have a good theoretical base so I used only the GMAT club math book + guides that I found on forums + math shortcut guides that, again, I found on the forums. I felt that verbal guides were too cumbersome for a 1 month period so I left them out- bad decision, now that I see my performance in CR.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 07:44
Congratulations bud!!

Now you can just chill & work on the applications at your pace.

Using the same approach as yours for the prep, no $$$ paid so far, probably will be only for the GMAT test.

All the best!

Thanks,
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 750 (Q51/V40) using free materials! &nbs [#permalink] 28 Jun 2018, 07:44

750 (Q51/V40) using free materials!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Try it for free Online, personalized course | Unlimited tutor support | Special GMAT Club discount | GMAT Club tests included
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap