It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

760 GMAT, but weak quant. Retake??? D:

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

760 GMAT, but weak quant. Retake??? D: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 14:39
Hi all. I took the GMAT in June and scored a 760 and was super happy, until I realized the split - 47Q/48V. That's a 63rd percentile in quant (99th in verbal and overall). Still, all the articles/everyone I know told me a 760 is strong and I would be stupid to retake the GMAT, so I didn't.
But now that I'm a week away from the first of the R1 app deadlines, I keep hearing about the 63rd percentile being a huge red flag. Anybody have any thoughts or advice for me? Should I push some apps to R2 and try to retake the GMAT in October (I would have retaken in July if I haven't gotten such a strong overall)? R2 has its own disadvantages.. My background is decent, but not STELLAR by m7 standards. Would appreciate any advice from the knowledgeable people on this forum! :(

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 4

760 GMAT, but weak quant. Retake??? D: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 17:35
This post received
KUDOS
EDIT: Thought I had looked and saw this in the BSchool Application Questions forum, but now seeing it's in the Admissions Consultant forum. Just a fellow applicant, but will keep my response in case it can be helpful until Admission Consultants chime in.

Hey Hiyer1. Do you have any quant classes on your transcripts (calc, statistics, econ) that you did well in or do you work in a quant heavy job? 760 GMAT is really excellent. I am just a fellow applicant here but I don't think the schools will be worried about your quant percentile in terms of scores/rankings. They will just be asking if you are up to the math required to be successful in business school. If you have other things to demonstrate your quant abilities I would say your efforts are probably better spent on your applications and make sure to speak to your quant ability in the optional essay. I think Haas (just as an example) specifically mentions that as a reason to use the optional essay. I have also seen Farrell of MBAPrepCoach recommend MBA Math as a way to demonstrate your quant skills and that business schools really look favorably on that. I think their website estimates 20-40 hours for it, but I would double check. It might just be me but when I was finished testing and was very happy with my score (as you should be with your overall) I probably would've wanted to take a targeted quant class that also will help prepare me for my MBA rather than go through all the mental preparation of taking the GMAT again. Not sure if MBA Math is something you want to try and do before the Round 1 deadlines (might not be possible) or just hope it's an update you'll be able to have the adcoms look at later, but I'd lean towards not delaying to Round 2 (unless you could use that time to make the rest of your application even stronger). Just an applicant here though, but if quant is the only thing you think is holding your app back then I personally would do Round 1 with an optional essay about your quant abilities reflected elsewhere or do MBA Math ASAP. Before Round 1 likely for the highest impact, but even if not I'd rather take the "risk" of the adcoms still taking it into consideration later than delay to Round 2. I think there will probably also be a number of schools that love your 760 and will overlook the quant side regardless.

Kudos [?]: 13 [1], given: 4

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Re: 760 GMAT, but weak quant. Retake??? D: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
760 is a fantastic score but I understand the Q portion of this score being worrisome for you. I think the advantage of RI makes sense for some schools. So look at this on a case by case basis. You can always re-evaluate for R2 to determine if it makes sense to re-take in hopes of improving this score. Was this Q portion on par with your practice tests? This is probably the best indicator if retaking will even yield the desired results. Worst case scenario is retaking and missing R1 to not really improve your score enough. If you have other Q on your resume or transcript as well this may be a moot point as admissions may deem your Q proficiency enough

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1001 [1], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hiyer1 wrote:
Hi all. I took the GMAT in June and scored a 760 and was super happy, until I realized the split - 47Q/48V. That's a 63rd percentile in quant (99th in verbal and overall). Still, all the articles/everyone I know told me a 760 is strong and I would be stupid to retake the GMAT, so I didn't.
But now that I'm a week away from the first of the R1 app deadlines, I keep hearing about the 63rd percentile being a huge red flag. Anybody have any thoughts or advice for me? Should I push some apps to R2 and try to retake the GMAT in October (I would have retaken in July if I haven't gotten such a strong overall)? R2 has its own disadvantages.. My background is decent, but not STELLAR by m7 standards. Would appreciate any advice from the knowledgeable people on this forum! :(

Honestly, it's not a huge red flag. It will be helpful if you can show you got some quant skills through other methods though, but by far, the main score is more important. If you had all the time in the world, sure you could retake, esp. since scores are cancellable, so if you got less, no big deal.

But if you want to apply this year, just forget about it. Accept your awesome score, and spend your energies where they are now needed most i.e. your application :)

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 1001 [1], given: 49

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 11:16
Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I will just keep the score for now and look into retaking later in the fall in case I end up having to apply to any tier 2 schools in R2. For now, I took ThadGA08's advice and went through the MBAMath program in a hurry before submitting HBS (thanks so much for making that suggestion - thought your post was super helpful even though you're not a consultant). Not sure if it will really help with my top top choices, but I'm sure it will at schools like Tuck/Ross (also in my list) that actually require first year students to take the course. If nothing else, I'm hoping it will say something about my dedication/perseverance - let's see. Thanks all, and good luck, ThadGA08!

Re: 760 GMAT, but weak quant. Retake??? D:   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2017, 11:16

760 GMAT, but weak quant. Retake??? D:

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap