It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 22:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

770 GMAT, <3 years work experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

770 GMAT, <3 years work experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
Planning to apply in September 2017 (R1).

Work experience:
By matriculation, 2 years and 8 months in management consulting at a strong tier 2 consulting firm (Deloitte S&O, ATK, L.E.K). Promoted within the first year. Had same city MBB offers but went for the T2 firm instead (more growth opportunity within the tech practice).
Extra curriculars: Involved in a sports organization (played competitively, organized events, sitting on a board). Heavily involved at the firm (recruiting, intellectual capital, internal initiatives and business development).
Undergrad school/major: Top Canadian university.
Race/nationality: White male (Canadian)

GMAT: 770
GPA: 3.9

Goal of MBA: Come back to my consulting firm.
Target schools: INSEAD would be my first choice by far (but I know they often look for older candidates). Otherwise, GSB, HBS, Wharton, MIT LGO, Oxford Said

1) Would the above schools consider a candidate with less than 3 years experience?
2) Any chance at some scholarships?
3) Any other school that would be more friendly to a young candidate (Europe or USA)?

I would rather not wait for personal reasons (I am married), but am wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot. I want to come back to Canada, so it is really unclear to me whether the higher cost and longer length of US MBAs are really worth it.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
770 GMAT, <3 years work experience [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 18:06
Hi @Techmba2017- your profile is looking strong! I will comment below!
techmba2017 wrote:
Planning to apply in September 2017 (R1).

Work experience:
By matriculation, 2 years and 8 months in management consulting at a strong tier 2 consulting firm (Deloitte S&O, ATK, L.E.K). Promoted within the first year. Had same city MBB offers but went for the T2 firm instead (more growth opportunity within the tech practice).Impressive work- on lighter number of years but off to a great start.
Extra curriculars: Involved in a sports organization (played competitively, organized events, sitting on a board). Heavily involved at the firm (recruiting, intellectual capital, internal initiatives and business development).
Undergrad school/major: Top Canadian university.
Race/nationality: White male (Canadian)Great pool to be coming from.

GMAT: 770
GPA: 3.9

Goal of MBA: Come back to my consulting firm.excellent stats- and easy to see how you could be successful in career goals given same industry. Are you sponsored? If so you are even stronger.
Target schools: INSEAD would be my first choice by far (but I know they often look for older candidates). Otherwise, GSB, HBS, Wharton, MIT LGO, Oxford Said Could possibly see that you are on light side for INSEAD with work but with such strong stats they might give you a good look- and I think HBS, GSB, Wharton, MIT LGO could be interesting for you too. Be sure to explain WHY you feel you need the MBA- be specific in what issues you could solve more crisply with an MBA that you have not been able to tackle now.

1) Would the above schools consider a candidate with less than 3 years experience? Yes- I think with your top stats schools will be more willing to look at you on early side
2) Any chance at some scholarships? absolutely- your best chances for big scholarships more likely a notch down like maybe Fuqua, Ross, UNC Kenan-Flagler, Cornell- and all could get you to consulting so I'd give those a really solid look
3) Any other school that would be more friendly to a young candidate (Europe or USA)?I have seen clients with similar profile do well at Fuqua, UNC Kenan-Flagler, Ross, UVA so look there as well.

I would rather not wait for personal reasons (I am married), but am wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot. I want to come back to Canada, so it is really unclear to me whether the higher cost and longer length of US MBAs are really worth it.I think you have some GREAT chances for scholarships at the schools I mentioned- would be happy to get you set up with a free consult so we could share more about how we can help you present best at those top schools and also position yourself best for some great scholarships too- would also say look at Rotman too- Link for consult is here: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/ I'd say there is a lot to like in your profile!

Thanks!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 37

770 GMAT, <3 years work experience   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2017, 18:06

770 GMAT, <3 years work experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap