Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: 770 on first attempt (Q50, V44) [#permalink]
Congrats on a great score and thanks for sharing your debrief.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Congratulations on your great score. Even if it will burn some people out, some of us still don't mind to hear how you prepared for the exam in Seven weeks. I have similar set of materials you used and i want to learn how you quickly breezed through all in 7 weeks. Hope to hear back from you. Cheers.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
770 on first attempt (Q50, V44) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sammysat wrote:
Congratulations on your great score. Even if it will burn some people out, some of us still don't mind to hear how you prepared for the exam in Seven weeks. I have similar set of materials you used and i want to learn how you quickly breezed through all in 7 weeks. Hope to hear back from you. Cheers.

aniriddha wrote:
Congrats on 770 !
I have a few questions though.
Did Magoosh really help? If so ,how good is it for Verbal?
I have enrolled for TTP and it seems like a solod course for quant.
Still worried about verbal.

ok. I think my response will answer both of your questions.

At the very beginning of the preparation, I took a week off from work, and combining that with the two weekends, it ended up being 9 days. I used it to kick off my preparation. I had never studied for GMAT before this. I immediately dived in using Magoosh. During the 9 day period, I spent about 10 hours a day on GMAT, watching videos and going through practice sets. I finished all Magoosh videos and questions by the end of the 9 day period. Magoosh helped me build a very strong foundation.

The rest of preparation was a lot slower than the first week and half given that I had to work full time. I immediately shifted to using OG and practiced about 50 questions a day whenever I could muster the energy and concentration. At the same time, I was also reading the MGMAT books for any other tips and shortcuts that I could use (I would say that MGMAT perhaps provided me with a handful, over 95% of the shortcuts/strategies were covered by Magoosh, and Magoosh often times presented them better).

I was averaging about 90% correction rate on both the Quant and Verbal OG questions sets that I did. The most important thing though was not the correction rate, but the fact that I understood immediately why I was wrong when I saw the correct answer. For 99% of the time, I was at least able to narrow down the answers to two, one of which was the correct one. I would always go back to those questions and make sure that I understood why the wrong answer gave me trouble, even when I got the questions right.

I did not end up using any MGMAT online practice banks. However, I did take the first MGMAT CAT set that was free and got 720 (Q47, V41, IR7.3). That's about the full extend that I used MGMAT. I was saving those question banks for my second try, which turned out to be unnecessary.

At the end, I would say that Magoosh helped me the most by far. If you use Magoosh, make sure you watch EVERY single video. Don't skip any of them just because you think you know the concept. The videos often contain shortcuts and strategies that can optimize the way you approach a certain type of question.

This was a very front loaded study routine that required a lot of will power. More than half of the time that I spent studying was in those 9 days. Studying 10 hours a day for 9 days straight was not easy by any means. I did not step out of the house a single time during that 9 days. 100% concentration and 100% dedication in a short amount of time and hopefully get it done before complete burnout. Many would consider this crazy, but this has worked very well for me over the years. I would imagine that most people can't do it due to the intensity.

Magoosh+OG can get you to 750+; you just have to know how to use them.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hi jzhan026,

Welcome to GMATCLUB! Congratulations on a fantastic score and thank you for sharing your debrief.

Which schools are you planning to apply?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
jzhan026 wrote:
Sammysat wrote:

aniriddha wrote:
Congrats on 770 !
I have a few questions though.
Did Magoosh really help? If so ,how good is it for Verbal?
I have enrolled for TTP and it seems like a solod course for quant.
Still worried about verbal.

ok. I think my response will answer both of your questions.

At the very beginning of the preparation, I took a week off from work, and combining that with the two weekends, it ended up being 9 days. I used it to kick off my preparation. I had never studied for GMAT before this. I immediately dived in using Magoosh. During the 9 day period, I spent about 10 hours a day on GMAT, watching videos and going through practice sets. I finished all Magoosh videos and questions by the end of the 9 day period. Magoosh helped me build a very strong foundation.

The rest of preparation was a lot slower than the first week and half given that I had to work full time. I immediately shifted to using OG and practiced about 50 questions a day whenever I could muster the energy and concentration. At the same time, I was also reading the MGMAT books for any other tips and shortcuts that I could use (I would say that MGMAT perhaps provided me with a handful, over 95% of the shortcuts/strategies were covered by Magoosh, and Magoosh often times presented them better).

I was averaging about 90% correction rate on both the Quant and Verbal OG questions sets that I did. The most important thing though was not the correction rate, but the fact that I understood immediately why I was wrong when I saw the correct answer. For 99% of the time, I was at least able to narrow down the answers to two, one of which was the correct one. I would always go back to those questions and make sure that I understood why the wrong answer gave me trouble, even when I got the questions right.

I did not end up using any MGMAT online practice banks. However, I did take the first MGMAT CAT set that was free and got 720 (Q47, V41, IR7.3). That's about the full extend that I used MGMAT. I was saving those question banks for my second try, which turned out to be unnecessary.

At the end, I would say that Magoosh helped me the most by far. If you use Magoosh, make sure you watch EVERY single video. Don't skip any of them just because you think you know the concept. The videos often contain shortcuts and strategies that can optimize the way you approach a certain type of question.

This was a very front loaded study routine that required a lot of will power. More than half of the time that I spent studying was in those 9 days. Studying 10 hours a day for 9 days straight was not easy by any means. I did not step out of the house a single time during that 9 days. 100% concentration and 100% dedication in a short amount of time and hopefully get it done before complete burnout. Many would consider this crazy, but this has worked very well for me over the years. I would imagine that most people can't do it due to the intensity.

Magoosh+OG can get you to 750+; you just have to know how to use them.

Congrats once more and thank you for taking your time to explain further. I have learnt some tips about your method. Though it's always good to use what works best for one. In your case, crashing your studies was always effective and while it will work for some people, to others it will not. Overall great debrief. Cheers.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow! Congratulations! Great score!
Are you applying this year?

P.S. 140 yours in 7 weeks is roughly 20 hours a week? That's not super intense (I am saying it not to disagree with you but just to say that prep like that is expected usually :-) and not extreme. You are not abnormal :) ) I did 2-3 hours per day of studying during the week + 10 or 15 hours on weekends. 20-30 hours per week was a normal schedule for 2 months out of 3 and even more if you take into consideration reading books to build my grammar and RC skills.

P.S. Sorry, i started typing this without seeing your reply about your schedule. I was able to shift my studying into mornings and do it before work. I would show up at work around 9 or 10 AM (It was an arrangement with my manager who was fine with it). I would study from 7 to 9 or smth like that (sometimes 6 to 8). Not having a phone next to me and being disconnected made that time last a lot longer!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Hi jzhan026

Welcome to GMAT club!!

Congrats on the 770!! It's an amazing score.

All the best for your applications :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Kudos
Great description.

Your preparation style was was unique. All studying crammed into one set of several weeks. This style can work for certain classes of testtakers, eg those who can sustain motivation and already possess basic competencies.

The salient point I noticed was that you took only two practice tests. This dovetails with my knowledge that doing a large number of practice tests is very detrimental. It is much more important to fine-tune competencies in selected topics and use a very limited number of practice tests to develop testtaking skills.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I took a practice today and got a Q50 V45 that registered as a 760. I know it’s just a practice but it’s weird that you got the 770. I would have thought they would use the same algorithm.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts