It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 01:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

869.SC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1395 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
869.SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2008, 19:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (01:20) correct 50% (00:48) wrong based on 6 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

869.To help preserve ancient Egyptian monuments threatened by high water tables, a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps, perhaps solar powered, to lower the underground water level and dig trenches around the bases of the stone walls.

(A) to lower the underground water level and dig trenches
(B) to lower the underground water level and to dig trenches
(C) to lower the underground water level and digging trenches
(D) that lower the underground water level and that trenches be dug
(E) that lower the underground water level and trench digging

Parallelism like this is nigthmare for me! Guys, do you have any tips for the so-called-by-Manhattan- artificial and real parallelism? Thanks!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 384 [0], given: 0

Re: 869.SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2008, 20:09
sondenso wrote:
869.To help preserve ancient Egyptian monuments threatened by high water tables, a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps, perhaps solar powered, to lower the underground water level and dig trenches around the bases of the stone walls.

Parallelism like this is nigthmare for me! Guys, do you have any tips for the so-called-by-Manhattan- artificial and real parallelism? Thanks!

........ Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing X and digging y. Here the parallelism is b/w installing and digging.

Sorry! can't help you much here.

Kudos [?]: 384 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2008, 20:19
In such sentences get the logic correct first instead of solving the problem.
In this sentence engineering firm has proposed 2 things "installing pumps" and "digging trenches".
You cannot say that "pumps" are digging trenches.
So both parallel activities should be in same verb form.

IMO C.

sondenso I will say finish up Manhattan chapters on "Parallelism" and "Comparison". Taking at east 3-4 days. Finish up each of the OG problems as mentioned in both chapter. This should give you enough capacity to tackle these kind of issues.

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2008, 23:50
abhijit_sen wrote:
In such sentences get the logic correct first instead of solving the problem.
In this sentence engineering firm has proposed 2 things "installing pumps" and "digging trenches".
You cannot say that "pumps" are digging trenches.
So both parallel activities should be in same verb form.

IMO C.

sondenso I will say finish up Manhattan chapters on "Parallelism" and "Comparison". Taking at east 3-4 days. Finish up each of the OG problems as mentioned in both chapter. This should give you enough capacity to tackle these kind of issues.

Thanks abhijit_sen, and x97agarwal. OA is C

@ abhijit yes, I will one more time go through Man. Thanks again!

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 830 [1], given: 10

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2008, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
sondenso wrote:

Sondenso, sometimes removing the modifiers and simplifying the SC helps me to understand the meaning of the SC and helps to eliminate incorrect choices.

This is how I would do:

Orig:To help preserve ancient Egyptian monuments threatened by high water tables, a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps, perhaps solar powered, to lower the underground water level and dig trenches around the bases of the stone walls.

simplify :a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps and dig trenches around the bases of the stone walls.

After removing the modifiers you can clearly see what the SC is trying to convey:
The firm proposed to install pumps and dig trenches

Now you see why A is incorrect - installing -dig => not parallel

a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps and digging trenches around the bases of the stone walls.
- can fix the SC

SO now we know the ||lism is among the factors proposed.

=>A,B are out

C is good

a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps, that lower the underground water level and that trenches be dug around the bases of the stone walls

-> "that" infront underground water level correctly refers to pumps
-> "that" infront trences incorrectly refers to pumps . "pumps trenches be dug" - sounds awful!!

a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps, that lower the underground water level and trench digging around the bases of the stone walls
Here that clearly modifies pumps . The SC would be correct if we fixed "trench digging " to "digging trenches"

To summarize , if you have an idea what the SC intends to convey it is easy to spot fake ||lism.
Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 830 [1], given: 10

SVP
SVP

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2008, 18:56
goalsnr wrote:
To help preserve ancient Egyptian monuments threatened by high water tables, a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps, perhaps solar powered, to lower the underground water level and dig trenches around the bases of the stone walls.

simplify :a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps and dig trenches around the bases of the stone walls.

After removing the modifiers you can clearly see what the SC is trying to convey:

Hi goalsnr, I really appreciated your tip.
But tell you the truth and the dilema, I apply this tip and I see we have 2 options

1. the same as you mention: installing ...and digging
2. "to lower"...and "to dig"

Ofcourse, because I am a non-native speaker, sometime I must guess only. So probability I choose one of the above options is 50/50. :P

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2008, 19:12
IMO C,

installing parallel to digging.......

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2008, 12:17
sondenso wrote:
goalsnr wrote:
To help preserve ancient Egyptian monuments threatened by high water tables, a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps, perhaps solar powered, to lower the underground water level and dig trenches around the bases of the stone walls.

Hi goalsnr, I really appreciated your tip.
But tell you the truth and the dilema, I apply this tip and I see we have 2 options

1. the same as you mention: installing ...and digging
2. "to lower"...and "to dig"

Ofcourse, because I am a non-native speaker, sometime I must guess only. So probability I choose one of the above options is 50/50. :P

Sodensho, I can suggest one more tip that normally I follow.. before start selecting correct parrallel form, decide what actions must be parallel.. Like in the above example we can find that
Installing pumps
and digging trenches must be parrallel. Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2008, 08:52
sondenso wrote:

the correct idiom is Propose something to/ in order to do something.

So (D) and (E) are out.

See parallelism:
The correct sentences should be
(1) a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps to lower the underground water level
(2) a Swedish engineering firm has proposed digging trenches

So Ans is (C)

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2008, 10:34
grt explanation..
Now I need to practice followiung these funda .
Thanks a tonne
I opted for (B) but then it clicked paallelism is for installing and digging
:shock:

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 842 [0], given: 99

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2009, 15:12
goalsnr wrote:
sondenso wrote:

Sondenso, sometimes removing the modifiers and simplifying the SC helps me to understand the meaning of the SC and helps to eliminate incorrect choices.

This is how I would do:

Orig:To help preserve ancient Egyptian monuments threatened by high water tables, a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps, perhaps solar powered, to lower the underground water level and dig trenches around the bases of the stone walls.

Now you see why A is incorrect - installing -dig => not parallel

a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps and digging trenches around the bases of the stone walls.
- can fix the SC

SO now we know the ||lism is among the factors proposed.

=>A,B are out

C is good

a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps, that lower the underground water level and that trenches be dug around the bases of the stone walls

-> "that" infront underground water level correctly refers to pumps
-> "that" infront trences incorrectly refers to pumps . "pumps trenches be dug" - sounds awful!!

a Swedish engineering firm has proposed installing pumps, that lower the underground water level and trench digging around the bases of the stone walls
Here that clearly modifies pumps . The SC would be correct if we fixed "trench digging " to "digging trenches"

To summarize , if you have an idea what the SC intends to convey it is easy to spot fake ||lism.
Hope this helps.

very nice explanation. +1 for ya goalsnr. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 842 [0], given: 99

Re: 869.SC   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2009, 15:12

869.SC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap