Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618650 [45]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [8]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [5]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
Re: A cash register in a certain clothing store is at the same distance fr [#permalink]
can we also find out the range of the 2 sides and see if they fall between the sides.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V32
GRE 1: Q154 V153
GPA: 2.76
Send PM
Re: A cash register in a certain clothing store is at the same distance fr [#permalink]
Why can't the placement be in a straight line? Is there something in the statement that makes it a triangle?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Stunnz wrote:
Why can't the placement be in a straight line? Is there something in the statement that makes it a triangle?

How can both dressing rooms be of equal distance from register if they are in vertical line?

the second dressing room in line will be much farther than the original one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
Kudos
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
A cash register in a certain clothing store is at the same distance from two dressing rooms in the store. The distance between the two dressing rooms is 16 feet, which of the following could be the distance between the cash register and either dressing room?

I. 6 feet
II. 12 feet
III. 24 feet

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II
(E) II and III

We see that we have an isosceles triangle with its base equal to 16 feet. The other two sides must be equal. We can use the triangle inequality theorem to determine the possible lengths of those two equal sides. The theorem states that the sum of the lengths of the two shortest sides is greater than the length of the longest side.

I. 6 feet

The resulting triangle would have sides of 6, 6, and 16. The two other sides cannot be 6 since 6 + 6 is not greater than 16.

II. 12 feet

The resulting triangle would have sides of 12, 12, and 16. The two other sides can be 12 since 12 + 12 is greater than 16.

III. 24 feet

The resulting triangle would have sides of 24, 24, and 16. The two other sides can be 24 feet since 16 + 24 is greater than 24. (Note in this case that the two shortest sides are 16 and 24.)

Answer: E

Could this also be solved using the Triangle property of : The length of any side of a triangle MUST BE LARGER than the positive difference of the other 2 sides, but SMALLER than the sum of the other 2 sides?

I ) 6-6<16< 6+6 => 0<16<12 (NOT POSSIBLE)
II) 12-12 <16<12+12 => 0<16<24 (POSSIBLE)
III) 24-24 < 16 < 24+24 => 0<16>48 (POSSIBLE)

Is my understanding of this property correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
A cash register in a certain clothing store is at the same distance from two dressing rooms in the store. The distance between the two dressing rooms is 16 feet, which of the following could be the distance between the cash register and either dressing room?

I. 6 feet
II. 12 feet
III. 24 feet

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II
(E) II and III

Hi Bunuel, writing to share that this is a GMAT PREP question.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618650 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gmatboat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. 6 feet
II. 12 feet
III. 24 feet

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II
(E) II and III

Hi Bunuel, writing to share that this is a GMAT PREP question.

Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Tepper
Send PM
A cash register in a certain clothing store is at the same distance fr [#permalink]
Kudos
Stunnz wrote:

If both dressing rooms and the register are in a straight line, then the only way the register is equidistant from each room is when it is in the mid point of the line which is 16 ft/2 = 8ft. There would be only a single value 8 ft for the answer choice, which is not the case in this question which has options 6 ft, 12 ft and 24 ft.

Another way to think of this scenario is that the line discussed above [refer case I in diagram below] is also a form of triangle with angles 0 degree. Hence using the properties of the triangle: sum of 2 sides is greater than the other, the min value of each of the other sides of the triangle is 8 ft (since 8ft + 8 ft = 16 ft, sum of two side is greater than or equal to the third side)
Attachments

triangle prop.png
triangle prop.png [ 14.97 KiB | Viewed 13142 times ]

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [1]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
A cash register in a certain clothing store is at the same distance fr [#permalink]
Kudos
Drawing a Straight Line from Dressing Room 1 (Point A) to Dressing Room 2 (Point B) = 16 feet

For the Cash Register to be Equidistant from each Room it must lie on the Vertical Line that is Perpendicular to this 16 foot line connecting the 2 dressing Rooms and Bisect it -----> Call this Point R

Extreme Case: All 3 Points lie on the Same Line: AR = RB = 8 feet - and the Cash Register is 8 feet away from each Room

As the Cash Register moves up the Vertical Line starting at Point R to maintain the Equidistance from each Changing Room, an Isosceles Triangle will start to form in which Sides AR and BR will be the Equal Sides.

The Non-Equal Side will be the Straight Horizontal Line from Dressing Room to Dressing Room = AB = 16 ft

Given the Isosceles Triangle ARB with NON-Equal Side of 16 ft, the Distance from the Register to each Room (the Equal Sides) can be what length?

Rule: A triangle can only be formed if the SUM of the Lengths of the 2 Shorter Sides is GREATER than the Length of the Longest Side

I. 6

If the Register is 6 feet away from each dressing room, this would form an Isosceles Triangle with Sides of: 6 - 6 - 16

However: 6 + 6 is NOT greater than 16 feet, failing the Triangle Formation Theorem

I is eliminated

II. 12

Triangle ARB would have side Lengths 12 - 12 - 16

12 + 12 > 16 --------> Valid Triangle. II is possible

III. 24

16 + 24 > 24 --------> Valid Triangle. III is possible.

II and III

(E)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
How do we know that the cash register isn't 4 feet wide? I missed this question because I assumed that we couldnt rule that possibility out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 2384
GMAT 1: 460 Q28 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
GMAT 4: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 5: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
KarishmaB EMPOWERgmatRichC avigutman

This is how I approached the question - where did I go wrong?

I also don't understand why the cash register and dressing rooms cannot be along a straight line.

Many thanks in advance!
Attachments

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 4.07.55 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 4.07.55 PM.png [ 3.23 MiB | Viewed 3534 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
achloes wrote:
KarishmaB EMPOWERgmatRichC avigutman

This is how I approached the question - where did I go wrong?

Hi achloes. You made an assumption that the triangle is a right triangle. There's a degree of freedom here (which is implied by the words "which of the following could be" in the question stem). The concept tested here is the following:
Any side of any triangle must be shorter than the sum of the other two sides.
This is a direct result of the definition of a straight line: the shortest distance between two points.
achloes wrote:
I also don't understand why the cash register and dressing rooms cannot be along a straight line.

Because of this:
A cash register in a certain clothing store is at the same distance from two dressing rooms in the store.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi achloes,

The prompt uses the phrase "which of the following COULD be the distance..." (NOT "which of the following IS the distance"). This implies that there are multiple answers that fit everything that is described by the prompt (and since this is a Roman Numeral question, that's not too surprising).

You found a possible distances between the cash register and the two dressing rooms (by assuming that the layout was a right triangle) - but that's clearly not one of the options. IF the cash register was right in the middle between the two changing rooms, then the answer would be 8 feet. Moving any equivalent distance away from the dressing rooms would INCREASE that distance - so we're looking for any answers that are greater than 8.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 2384
GMAT 1: 460 Q28 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
GMAT 4: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 5: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi achloes,

The prompt uses the phrase "which of the following COULD be the distance..." (NOT "which of the following IS the distance"). This implies that there are multiple answers that fit everything that is described by the prompt (and since this is a Roman Numeral question, that's not too surprising).

You found a possible distances between the cash register and the two dressing rooms (by assuming that the layout was a right triangle) - but that's clearly not one of the options. IF the cash register was right in the middle between the two changing rooms, then the answer would be 8 feet. Moving any equivalent distance away from the dressing rooms would INCREASE that distance - so we're looking for any answers that are greater than 8.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Solid explanation - thanks Rich!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
kriswati wrote:
Stunnz wrote:

If both dressing rooms and the register are in a straight line, then the only way the register is equidistant from each room is when it is in the mid point of the line which is 16 ft/2 = 8ft. There would be only a single value 8 ft for the answer choice, which is not the case in this question which has options 6 ft, 12 ft and 24 ft.

Another way to think of this scenario is that the line discussed above [refer case I in diagram below] is also a form of triangle with angles 0 degree. Hence using the properties of the triangle: sum of 2 sides is greater than the other, the min value of each of the other sides of the triangle is 8 ft (since 8ft + 8 ft = 16 ft, sum of two side is greater than or equal to the third side)

You are right in Case 1 - but is it also possible to interpret that the cash register has some width? I guess this should be given in the question and the learning for me here is to not apply my own assumptions.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts