It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 21:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 62

GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 07:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
amatya wrote:
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants.
Agronomists studying the growth of this herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test-tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Hence, the herb’s high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.
In evaluating the argument, it would be most important to determine which of the following?
(A) Whether the herb can thrive in soil that does not have high concentrations of the toxic metals
(B) Whether others of the closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities
(C) Whether the herb’s high level of histidine production is associated with an unusually low level of production of some other amino acid
(D) Whether growing the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over time, reduce their concentrations in the soil
(E) Whether the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity

Press kudos if you like the post

How to eliminate A and C ? I am not able to find the reasons for elimination. Thanks

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 62

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
D

Kudos [?]: 420 [1], given: 111

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
raoshahb wrote:

How to eliminate A and C ? I am not able to find the reasons for elimination. Thanks

All right! This is a very hard CR question. But this simply tests causality then why it is still so hard? This is because the question stem is not asking you to Strengthen or Weaken, it is indeed asking you to do both i.e. EVALUATE the argument. (Persional opinion on toughness of the question).

Quote:
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studying the growth of this herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test-tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Hence, the herb’s high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.

Pattern: If two things found happening together then one causes the other.

Mapping of the Pattern with the argument:

Herb is growing in the soil with high concentration of metals AND herb is producing large amount of histidine. (these two things are happening together)
Histidine is causing herb to grow in such soil

What would you do to strengthen such causality?

You would bring a fact to show that the causality is indeed correct. You would say there is no other cause or say the reverse of the causality is not true.

What would you do to Weaken such causality? – Just the opposite of what you would do to strengthen (as stated above)

(A) Whether the herb can thrive in soil that does not have high concentrations of the toxic metals

We are not talking about other kind of soil here. We are focusing on the production of histidine and growth in METAL RICH SOIL. Because if you find out whether heb thrive in non-metal-rich soil then it does not tell you about the causality.

All right suppose herb does grow in the non-metal-rich soil. Then herb MAY/MAY NOT be able to grow in METAL-RICH soil and if it may indeed grow then you do not know the casue/factor that helps it to grow in metal-rich soil as well.

Think of the case – METAL RICHNESS OF SOIL does nothing to the growth of herb.

(B) Whether others of the closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities

What this choice actually says is – If all other herbs THAT ARE CLOSELY RELATED to this herb, also produce histidine then this could indeed be the THING/THE CAUSE/THE FACTOR for them to grow.

Isn’t it true that if something is happening to everyone of a certain kind then there could be some cause. If I tell you that in a city all children are falling sick since last week then you would want to believe if I say that a virus or bad water from the city supply was the cause?

So if you knew THAT what happens to this herb happens to all other herbs that are closely related to it then Evaluation is done.

(C) Whether the herb’s high level of histidine production is associated with an unusually low level of production of some other amino acid

Again, this does not tell anything about the said causality. This is bringing up another causality to test i.e. whether histidine production itself is caused/associated with different type of amino acid. We need to closely keep our focus on what are the major things argument discusses.

(D) Whether growing the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over time, reduce their concentrations in the soil

Soil is rich of METAL with high concentration. How the reduction in this concentration is related to the given causality? This is certainly not talking about the factors that are involved. Histidine make the herb grow in metal rich soil. Whether less metal reich soil would do or not is not the focus of discussion.

(E) Whether the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity

It is told that LARGE AMOUNT of histidine is produced. Now if that is the case why are we bothering to evaluate whether concentration of histidine declines or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 420 [1], given: 111

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 19:03
i think B has some misleading words. "closely related" refers to other plants is of the same species of that certain plant. But the article here means other plant which can also grow in high metal concentrations soil. so i think the choice is a little bit misleading. anyone agree with me?

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 06:48
harishbiyani8888 wrote:
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studying the growth of this herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test - tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Hence, the herb's high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.

In evaluating the argument, it would be most important to determine which of the following?

(A) Whether the herb can thrive in soil that does not have high concentrations of the toxic metals.
(B) Whether others of the closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities.
(C) Whether the herb's high level of histidine production is associated with an unusually low level of production of some other amino acid
(D) Whether growing the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over time, reduce their concentrations in the soil.
(E) whether the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity

Premise 1:A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants

Premise 2:Agronomists studying the growth of this herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test - tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert

Conclusion: the herb's high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.

The answer is B
A it is irrelevant to the argument as we not concerned whether the plan can grow in non toxic soils , it can or can not but its mechanism to grow will be different .

B correct if we know that all plant produce histidine in soil with high metal concentration then we can surely say that the mechanism cited int the argument is the cause of the abundance of the plant in soils with high concentrations of metals

C This is totally out of context

D we are not concerned with reduction of metal concentration in soil

E This does not in any way provide information to the points mentioned in the the passage

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 02:11
I got it correct but took me 4 minutes. :(
I think this question gets difficult cause of complex answer choices.
750 Level

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2017, 02:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap