GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 14:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 09:11
raoshahb wrote:

How to eliminate A and C ? I am not able to find the reasons for elimination. Thanks

All right! This is a very hard CR question. But this simply tests causality then why it is still so hard? This is because the question stem is not asking you to Strengthen or Weaken, it is indeed asking you to do both i.e. EVALUATE the argument. (Persional opinion on toughness of the question).

Quote:
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studying the growth of this herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test-tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Hence, the herb’s high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.

Pattern: If two things found happening together then one causes the other.

Mapping of the Pattern with the argument:

Herb is growing in the soil with high concentration of metals AND herb is producing large amount of histidine. (these two things are happening together)
Histidine is causing herb to grow in such soil

What would you do to strengthen such causality?

You would bring a fact to show that the causality is indeed correct. You would say there is no other cause or say the reverse of the causality is not true.

What would you do to Weaken such causality? – Just the opposite of what you would do to strengthen (as stated above)

(A) Whether the herb can thrive in soil that does not have high concentrations of the toxic metals

We are not talking about other kind of soil here. We are focusing on the production of histidine and growth in METAL RICH SOIL. Because if you find out whether heb thrive in non-metal-rich soil then it does not tell you about the causality.

All right suppose herb does grow in the non-metal-rich soil. Then herb MAY/MAY NOT be able to grow in METAL-RICH soil and if it may indeed grow then you do not know the casue/factor that helps it to grow in metal-rich soil as well.

Think of the case – METAL RICHNESS OF SOIL does nothing to the growth of herb.

(B) Whether others of the closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities

What this choice actually says is – If all other herbs THAT ARE CLOSELY RELATED to this herb, also produce histidine then this could indeed be the THING/THE CAUSE/THE FACTOR for them to grow.

Isn’t it true that if something is happening to everyone of a certain kind then there could be some cause. If I tell you that in a city all children are falling sick since last week then you would want to believe if I say that a virus or bad water from the city supply was the cause?

So if you knew THAT what happens to this herb happens to all other herbs that are closely related to it then Evaluation is done.

(C) Whether the herb’s high level of histidine production is associated with an unusually low level of production of some other amino acid

Again, this does not tell anything about the said causality. This is bringing up another causality to test i.e. whether histidine production itself is caused/associated with different type of amino acid. We need to closely keep our focus on what are the major things argument discusses.

(D) Whether growing the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over time, reduce their concentrations in the soil

Soil is rich of METAL with high concentration. How the reduction in this concentration is related to the given causality? This is certainly not talking about the factors that are involved. Histidine make the herb grow in metal rich soil. Whether less metal reich soil would do or not is not the focus of discussion.

(E) Whether the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity

It is told that LARGE AMOUNT of histidine is produced. Now if that is the case why are we bothering to evaluate whether concentration of histidine declines or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 19:03
i think B has some misleading words. "closely related" refers to other plants is of the same species of that certain plant. But the article here means other plant which can also grow in high metal concentrations soil. so i think the choice is a little bit misleading. anyone agree with me?

LSAT CR is driving me mad

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 06:48
harishbiyani8888 wrote:
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studying the growth of this herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test - tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Hence, the herb's high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.

In evaluating the argument, it would be most important to determine which of the following?

(A) Whether the herb can thrive in soil that does not have high concentrations of the toxic metals.
(B) Whether others of the closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities.
(C) Whether the herb's high level of histidine production is associated with an unusually low level of production of some other amino acid
(D) Whether growing the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over time, reduce their concentrations in the soil.
(E) whether the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity

Premise 1:A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants

Premise 2:Agronomists studying the growth of this herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test - tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert

Conclusion: the herb's high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.

The answer is B
A it is irrelevant to the argument as we not concerned whether the plan can grow in non toxic soils , it can or can not but its mechanism to grow will be different .

B correct if we know that all plant produce histidine in soil with high metal concentration then we can surely say that the mechanism cited int the argument is the cause of the abundance of the plant in soils with high concentrations of metals

C This is totally out of context

D we are not concerned with reduction of metal concentration in soil

E This does not in any way provide information to the points mentioned in the the passage

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 02:11
I got it correct but took me 4 minutes. :(
I think this question gets difficult cause of complex answer choices.
750 Level
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 03:50
I got tricked into C but if you read more closely it says one of a group of closely related plants

Very tricky
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 07:34
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studying the growth of this herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test - tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Hence, the herb's high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.

In evaluating the argument, it would be most important to determine which of the following?

Conclusion: The herb's high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.
Assumption: There are NO OTHER FACTORS other than high histidine production that allows these herbs to grow. It is not mentioned in the argument and it is assumed by the author.

In order to evaluate this argument we need to know whether this assumption is true or not.

(A) Whether the herb can thrive in soil that does not have high concentrations of the toxic metals.
If we answer yes, it can or no, it cannot, does it impac our conclusion in anyway? No. Out of scope.

(B) Whether others of the closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities.
This is the correct answer.
If yes, it strengthens the conclusion that the histidine was the one that impacted the growth.
If no, it weakens the conclusion that the histidine was the one that impacted the growth.

(C) Whether the herb's high level of histidine production is associated with an unusually low level of production of some other amino acid

(D) Whether growing the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over time, reduce their concentrations in the soil.
It doesn't help us evaluate whether the herb's high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.

(E) whether the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity
Concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines or doesn't decline has no impact on the conclusion of the argument.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '18
WE: Consulting (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 14:40
Folks help me out here.

My logic on "E" - because if the histidine concentration declines as the plant approaches maturity, then maybe histidine was used to grow the plants and when growth was no longer needed (towards maturity), concentrations started declining.
My logic on "B" - if others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine in large quantities, it just says that this chemical is common in the group of closely related plants but it doesn't per se mean that its KEY in growth so I feel like its such a jump in conclusion here. Maybe Histidine is common in the group of the closely related plants because it serves other functions.

Please point me to where my logic is flawed (because clearly it is)

Migatte no Gokui

VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 01:05
oasis90

I might be late for the party, but let me know if this helps.

Lets visualize the situation. Let say this herb thrive in soil with mercury in it. mercury is toxic to most plants. while finding the answer of this strange phenomenon , Scientists observed this plant produce a lot of histidine which probably react with this metal and inert it. But to be sure of this conclusion scientists have to do what ?

(A) Whether the herb can thrive in soil that does not have high concentrations of the toxic metals. ---- yes or no either way histidine is rendering with this metal or not is not clear.
(B) Whether others of the closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities. --- so if no then how that group is surviving in such kind of soil? there must be something else. if yes then these all kind of plants has one ting in common, histidine that must be playing some role for such situation. over all not very lucrative choice for yes part lets keep it for later.
(C) Whether the herb's high level of histidine production is associated with an unusually low level of production of some other amino acid --- this choice is not doing much to our cause.
(D) Whether growing the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over time, reduce their concentrations in the soil. --- This seems a lucrative choice. in case of yes, it makes a case for us. but metal that reduces from the soil, how to justify it, is plant absorbing that metal ? is histidine is reacting? situation is not very clear.
(E) whether the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity --- so with herb reaching to maturity, concentration of histidine declines, again as we did in previous choice, metal that reduces from the soil, how to justify it, is plant absorbing that metal ? is histidine is reacting? situation is not very clear.

B is the best answer.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '18
WE: Consulting (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 11:36
Thank you. B is the best answer of what's available it seems.

aragonn wrote:
oasis90

I might be late for the party, but let me know if this helps.

Lets visualize the situation. Let say this herb thrive in soil with mercury in it. mercury is toxic to most plants. while finding the answer of this strange phenomenon , Scientists observed this plant produce a lot of histidine which probably react with this metal and inert it. But to be sure of this conclusion scientists have to do what ?

(A) Whether the herb can thrive in soil that does not have high concentrations of the toxic metals. ---- yes or no either way histidine is rendering with this metal or not is not clear.
(B) Whether others of the closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities. --- so if no then how that group is surviving in such kind of soil? there must be something else. if yes then these all kind of plants has one ting in common, histidine that must be playing some role for such situation. over all not very lucrative choice for yes part lets keep it for later.
(C) Whether the herb's high level of histidine production is associated with an unusually low level of production of some other amino acid --- this choice is not doing much to our cause.
(D) Whether growing the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over time, reduce their concentrations in the soil. --- This seems a lucrative choice. in case of yes, it makes a case for us. but metal that reduces from the soil, how to justify it, is plant absorbing that metal ? is histidine is reacting? situation is not very clear.
(E) whether the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity --- so with herb reaching to maturity, concentration of histidine declines, again as we did in previous choice, metal that reduces from the soil, how to justify it, is plant absorbing that metal ? is histidine is reacting? situation is not very clear.

B is the best answer.

Migatte no Gokui

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants &nbs [#permalink] 05 Aug 2018, 11:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap