GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 05:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

A Chinese wall, a business term describing an information barrier with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
A Chinese wall, a business term describing an information barrier with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 07:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:44) correct 34% (01:51) wrong based on 89 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A Chinese wall, a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, which is also known as a screen or firewall, is used to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, which safeguards insider information and ensuring that improper trading does not occur.

A. a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, which is also known as a screen or firewall, is used to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, which safeguards

B. a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, also known as a screen or firewall, used to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, thereby safeguarding

C. known also as a screen or firewall, is a business term that describes an information barrier within an organization, whether for profit or nonprofit, and is used to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, thereby safeguarding

D. also known as a screen or firewall, a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest is then used, which safeguards

E. a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, also known as a screen or firewall, which prevents exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, thereby safeguarding

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: A Chinese wall, a business term describing an information barrier with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 17:34
First I will eliminate option A, D because ensuring and safeguards are not in parallel.

Eliminate C for using whether, which is used to make decisions.

Will go with E, 'which' refers to screen or firewall.

Please correct me if I am wrong
SC Moderator
V
Re: A Chinese wall, a business term describing an information barrier with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 17:37
Eliminate C for using whether, which is used to make decisions. ---- I am not sure why you said that ?

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 17:52
Must mention, I myself have disconnects between B & C, chosen C for below reasons. Please do advice if you feel below needs correction, will be helpful to me.

A. a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, which is also known as a screen or firewall, is used to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, which safeguards

1). modifier " screen or firewall refers to Chinese wall that' but phrase is not appropriately placed and hence seems incorrectly modify previous sentence. 2). I also think either a for profit or "a" nonprofit one should have been a correct structure, please do correct me if wrong. 3). which safeguards happens to refer to conflict of interest which is again incorrect as it stands for CW.

B. a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, also known as a screen or firewall, used to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, thereby safeguarding

- I also think either a for profit or "a" nonprofit one should have been a correct structure, please do correct me if wrong.

C. known also as a screen or firewall, is a business term that describes an information barrier within an organization, whether for profit or nonprofit, and is used to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, thereby safeguarding

Though whether is used, I still feel this is the best option of all.
Modifiers used correctly at right places and verb tenses correct.

D. also known as a screen or firewall, a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest is then used, which safeguards

Similar issues like A, hence discarded.

E. a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, also known as a screen or firewall, which prevents exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, thereby safeguarding[/quote]

Similar issues like A, hence discarded.
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 18:08
proabhinav - Why you are finding use of 'weather' odd ?

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 18:32
A Chinese wall, a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, which is also known as a screen or firewall, is used to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, which safeguards insider information and ensuring that improper trading does not occur.

A. a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, which is also known as a screen or firewall, is used to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, which safeguards ( modifier ambiguity,which is also known as a screen or firewall should be close to a Chinese wall)

B. a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, also known as a screen or firewall, used to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, thereby safeguarding (simple past suggests that term is not used anymore to describe what it is intended for)

C. known also as a screen or firewall, is a business term that describes an information barrier within an organization, whether for profit or nonprofit, and is used to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, thereby safeguarding ( known also is placed correctly close to a Chinese wall , keep)

D. also known as a screen or firewall, a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, to prevent exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest is then used, which safeguards ( awkward construction)

E. a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, also known as a screen or firewall, which prevents exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, thereby safeguarding( run on)

Will go with choice C

Thanks

IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 18:33
aragonn wrote:
proabhinav - Why you are finding use of 'weather' odd ?

Hi

I must accept that while choosing my option, I found whether to be aptly used and didn't have confusion but one of the post mentioned that it' used only for decision making etc. , hence seems influenced my analysis while I posted my view.

I think it is correct.
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 18:35
‘Whether’ is used to indicate a choice among options. ‘If’ introduces a condition.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 18:51
aragonn wrote:
‘Whether’ is used to indicate a choice among options. ‘If’ introduces a condition.

Thank You Aragonn, that' helpful :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 19:05
A, D safeguards not parallel with ensuring.
B,E also known as too far from chinese wall.

I choose C
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 07:49
aragonn wrote:

E. a business term describing an information barrier within an organization, either a for profit or nonprofit one, also known as a screen or firewall, which prevents exchanges or communication that could lead to conflicts of interest, thereby safeguarding

Official Explanation:

there's logical use of modifiers. Having the modifier which is also known or also known as so far from the subject makes the sentence unclear, therefore answers (A), (B) and (E) are incorrect. The phrase is used in answer (C) is the verb of the sentence and it matches the subject (a Chinese wall), unlike answer (D) which doesn't have a verb.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A Chinese wall, a business term describing an information barrier with &nbs [#permalink] 26 Nov 2018, 07:49

A Chinese wall, a business term describing an information barrier with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap