GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 19:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:24) correct 37% (01:20) wrong based on 2329 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Sakshij0694 wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinja
I am down to A and D and i find A more convincing then D to choose.

Please help me with this.
I invented a machine which differentiates Tshirts on the basis of color and helps me to pick one.
Now the more degree of variation of color, more will be the efficiency of the machine to choose correctly.

Example - I want a red shirt and the pool contains Red - Blue - Black which all are vibrant colors and easy to differentiate from.
However, If the pool contains Magenta,Purple, Dark Purple which narrows are variation of colors and this will lead to a subtle difference in choosing of an Tshirt for the machine and this will be a problem for the machine.
How to choose?

The same is the case for this machine here.

Thanking in advance.

I think you can solve this problem by giving emphasis on this part "distinguish weeds from crop plants by differences in shade of color" . its not shades of color. Feel that machine has two input one take purple, one take magenta. and tell true/false as it should be.

Hope it helps.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 17:09
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

I would like to know what is it that a student misses to get to OA
in such HARD questions apart from skimming through the argument.

Goal of plan: To develop a prototype that makes clear difference between weeds and plants on basis of differences in shades of color.

Q type: I need to strengthen the implementation of above plan.

Quote:
(A) There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species

Nope we need to chop off weeds from plants, different types of weeds are not my areas of concern

Quote:
B) The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season.

It says shades of some plants change drastically ie in a large extent during the span of their growth.
So it does help new prototype machine to chop of plants from weeds.

Quote:
(C) When crops are weeded manually, overallsize and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds.

No mention how difference in color is useful in chopping off plants from weeds.

Quote:
(D) Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics.

As per me, the biggest reason missing out on this is: no mention of automatic weeding machine in OA, but I had to infer fair amount
of understanding from argument to link how selection and genetic changing of almost a large number of plants to allow to have
an unique shade of color of each plant from one another . At least I could not infer to such an understanding level under time pressure.
What is the correct way of approach here?

Quote:
(E)]Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary.

Totally out of scope

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 21:28
A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that uses cutting blades with optical sensors and microprocessors that distinguish weeds from crop plants by differences in shade of color. The inventor of the machine claims that it will reduce labor costs by virtually eliminating the need for manual weeding.

Question type: Strengthen

Known Information:
A prototype weeding machine to eliminate the need for manual weeding. This is classic Man vs Machine argument.

Supporting statement: Company claims that the machine distinguishes weeds from crops using difference in shade of color.

So anything that would make this differentiation would weaken company's claims. Now lets see the options

(A) There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species - This will make the job of the machine difficult.

B) The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season - If the color changes , will the machine keep up the with the changes ? Another challenge for the machine.

(C) When crops are weeded manually, overall size and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds - Huh we considered only the color differentiation here - This definitely weakens.

(D) Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics - This sounds good. Only differentiation is based on color which ideally suits the machine's work - Lets hold on to this option for now.

(E) Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary - Out of scope for the question here.

D is the promising option here

Ans: D

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2018, 13:34
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

I would like to know what is it that a student misses to get to OA
in such HARD questions apart from skimming through the argument.

Goal of plan: To develop a prototype that makes clear difference between weeds and plants on basis of differences in shades of color.

Q type: I need to strengthen the implementation of above plan.

Quote:
(A) There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species

Nope we need to chop off weeds from plants, different types of weeds are not my areas of concern

Quote:
B) The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season.

It says shades of some plants change drastically ie in a large extent during the span of their growth.
So it does help new prototype machine to chop of plants from weeds.

Quote:
(C) When crops are weeded manually, overallsize and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds.

No mention how difference in color is useful in chopping off plants from weeds.

Quote:
(D) Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics.

As per me, the biggest reason missing out on this is: no mention of automatic weeding machine in OA, but I had to infer fair amount
of understanding from argument to link how selection and genetic changing of almost a large number of plants to allow to have
an unique shade of color of each plant from one another . At least I could not infer to such an understanding level under time pressure.
What is the correct way of approach here?

Quote:
(E)]Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary.

Totally out of scope

As you mentioned, the key is being able to differentiate between weeds and plants based ONLY on differences in shade of color.

All we know from (B) is that some plants will change color. We don't know whether that will make it easier or harder for the machine to differentiate between weeds and plants. It might somehow make it easier but it also might not (i.e. perhaps the machine will have a hard time keeping track of the plants if their colors are constantly changing). Without further information, we can't tell whether (B) would hurt or help, so it must be eliminated.

(D) specifically tells us that we could use selection and genetic manipulation to give virtually ANY plant a a distinctive (i.e. unique) shade of color. If every plant has a distinctive color, then it will be easy for the machine to identify the plants based on color alone. This clearly helps, so (D) is the best answer.

Sakshij0694 wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinja
I am down to A and D and i find A more convincing then D to choose.

Please help me with this.
I invented a machine which differentiates Tshirts on the basis of color and helps me to pick one.
Now the more degree of variation of color, more will be the efficiency of the machine to choose correctly.

Example - I want a red shirt and the pool contains Red - Blue - Black which all are vibrant colors and easy to differentiate from.
However, If the pool contains Magenta,Purple, Dark Purple which narrows are variation of colors and this will lead to a subtle difference in choosing of an Tshirt for the machine and this will be a problem for the machine.
How to choose?

The same is the case for this machine here.

Thanking in advance.

Sakshij0694, sorry for the delay...

(A) only talks about the color variation among weeds, not the color variation between weeds and plants.

(A) only tells us that there is wide range of colors among weeds. That does not necessarily mean that the weeds colors are all distinctive and easy to differentiate (i.e. there still might be several shades close to purple, several shades close to orange, several shades close to green, etc.). In other words, having a wide range does not necessarily mean that weeds can be divided into a few discrete, easily separable color groups.

More importantly, it doesn't tell us anything about weeds vs plants. Is it easy to differentiate the weeds from the plants? Maybe the wide range of weed colors actually makes the machine's job harder... if there is a wide range of weed colors and a wide range of plant colors, the machine might not be able to tell which is which. We might have red, blue, and black weeds and also red, blue, and black plants. This would obviously make it harder for the machine.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 12:46
Alexisvargas10 wrote:
Hello , I am a little confused with the following question;

A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that uses cutting blades with optical sensors and microprocessors that distinguish weeds from crop plants by differences in shade of color. The inventor of the machine claims that it will reduce labor costs by virtually eliminating the need for manual weeding.

Which of the following is a consideration in favor of the company's implementing its plan to develop the prototype?

A. There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species.
B. The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season.
C. When crops are weeded manually, overall size and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds.
D. Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics.
E. Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary.

So, we have to find and answer to strengthen the conclusion
Conclusion: labor costs will be reduced by implementing a weeding machines which works by differentiating colors.

I do not understand why the correct answer is D. It is not completely clear the connection between the selection of genetic manipulation with the effectiveness of the prototype.

Thanks

here we have to find some evidence that can suggest that the plan will be successful i.e the plan can be implement successfully.
what if the weed and crop plants are not distinguishable based on their shade color.Then the plan will fail.so D is the correct answer
Re: A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2018, 12:46

A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap