GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A computer equipped with signature-recognition software

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A computer equipped with signature-recognition software  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 19:07
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Nightmare007 and soumya170293, I believe your questions were specifically addressed in this post.

"Even the most adept forgers..." is not the same as "Most adept forgers..." Also, there is no reason why we cannot have "extreme" language in a correct answer choice.

so you are saying that the most is an extension attached to adept not forgers?

Thank you
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 08:08
Nightmare007 wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Nightmare007 and soumya170293, I believe your questions were specifically addressed in this post.

"Even the most adept forgers..." is not the same as "Most adept forgers..." Also, there is no reason why we cannot have "extreme" language in a correct answer choice.

so you are saying that the most is an extension attached to adept not forgers?

Thank you

Yes, exactly!

Consider the group of all adept forgers... out of that group, the top X% could be considered the most-adept forgers.

For example, many talented athletes play soccer. But only the most talented players (small subset of that group) play in professional soccer leagues.

www.gmatninja.com

Director
Director
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 23:26
thingZero wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition
Practice Question
Question No.: 19
Page: 122
Difficulty:

A computer equipped with signature-recognition software, which restricts access to a computer to those people whose signatures are on file, identifies a person's signature by analyzing not only the form of the signature but also such characteristics as pen pressure and signing speed. Even the most adept forgers cannot duplicate all of the characteristics the program analyzes.

Which of the following can be logically concluded from the passage above?

(A) The time it takes to record and analyze a signature makes the software impractical for everyday use.
(B) Computers equipped with the software will soon be installed in most banks.
(C) Nobody can gain access to a computer equipped with the software solely by virtue of skill at forging signatures.
(D) Signature-recognition software has taken many years to develop and perfect.
(E) In many cases even authorized users are denied legitimate access to computers equipped with the software.

Hi jennpt - I selected (C) but I was not confident about usage of "nobody" in (C) - pls guide me!!

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 12:35
Hi CAMANISHPARMAR

It's good to be suspicious of extreme language like "nobody". However, we have some extreme evidence that will allow us to choose it:
The paragraph says "even the most adept forgers" cannot master all of the things the software is analyzing and thus fool the software. Luckily this is a really broad statement that includes all the best forgers in the world, period.

(The text did not give us a group that might be incomplete. For example, "the winners of a forging contest" or "the top graduates from Signature Forgery University" ;) ... Those would be groups that might be missing a hidden talent, and there could be some kid sitting in Dubai or a lady in San Francisco who are just ridiculously good but no one knows about their talent. But the text gave us a broad statement that includes the best forgers in the world - and this would include people who aren't even famous.)

So if even the best forgers in the world can't fool the software with their forging, then no one can fool it - at least by forging.

C leaves the door open that there might be other ways to fool the software, which is another mark of a good answer: it limits itself to what we know about here, which is forging.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Best, Jenn

Professional GMAT Coach with students on 6 continents

New: I've recently launched Bright Outlook Global Prep, helping candidates achieve their higher education goals. We offer classes and private consultation, online and in our Berlin base. Let's get to work!

Personal 99th percentile score (770), including V51. Based in Berlin and previously in Paris, ich spreche auch deutsch/je parle aussi français.
With five years' experience, I am expert in coaching non-native speakers to outstanding performance.

Director
Director
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 06:26
jennpt wrote:
Hi CAMANISHPARMAR

It's good to be suspicious of extreme language like "nobody". However, we have some extreme evidence that will allow us to choose it:
The paragraph says "even the most adept forgers" cannot master all of the things the software is analyzing and thus fool the software. Luckily this is a really broad statement that includes all the best forgers in the world, period.

(The text did not give us a group that might be incomplete. For example, "the winners of a forging contest" or "the top graduates from Signature Forgery University" ;) ... Those would be groups that might be missing a hidden talent, and there could be some kid sitting in Dubai or a lady in San Francisco who are just ridiculously good but no one knows about their talent. But the text gave us a broad statement that includes the best forgers in the world - and this would include people who aren't even famous.)

So if even the best forgers in the world can't fool the software with their forging, then no one can fool it - at least by forging.

C leaves the door open that there might be other ways to fool the software, which is another mark of a good answer: it limits itself to what we know about here, which is forging.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Best, Jenn

Thanks jennpt - I understood from your explanation that "we have some extreme evidence that will allow us to choose it"!! Thanks again!!

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A computer equipped with signature-recognition software &nbs [#permalink] 01 Jun 2018, 06:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 45 posts ] 

A computer equipped with signature-recognition software

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap