Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [35]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 730 [3]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [2]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Re: A confidential survey revealed that 75 percent of the employees of Com [#permalink]
Kudos
"casts doubt EXCEPT" means that we must find an answer choice ,which DOESNT weaken (note- it doesnt mean that we have to find an answer choice, which strengthen the conclusion).

Premise- A confidential survey revealed that 75 percent of the employees of Company P are dissatisfied with their jobs.

Counter Premise -However, an investigation into working conditions at the company showed nothing uncommonly bad.

Conclusion -Therefore, Company P's consulting firm concluded that the employees' dissatisfaction must result from an unusually high incidence of psychological problems on their part.

answ choice D has no influence on the conclusion. So, this choice DOESNT weaken
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: A confidential survey revealed that 75 percent of the employees of Com [#permalink]
The question can be seen also in that way: a top down line between Company and employees or vice versa.

D instead is a flat connection among the latter so do not adreess something with company i.e: is ininfluent at the point at issue.

D must be the answer
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4323 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
A confidential survey revealed that 75 percent of the employees of Company P are dissatisfied with their jobs. However, an investigation into working conditions at the company showed
nothing uncommonly bad. Therefore, Company P’s consulting firm concluded that the employees’ dissatisfaction must result from an unusually high incidence of psychological problems on their part.
Each of the following, if true, casts doubt on the consulting firm’s conclusion EXCEPT:

(A) In the investigation of working conditions, no account was taken of the fact that for the past year many Company P employees worked on a joint venture with Company O, at Company O’s facilities.
(B) Workers in many companies are dissatisfied although there are no apparent problems with their working conditions.
(C) The consulting firm’s conception of what constitutes uncommonly bad working conditions is not identical to that of Company P’s employees.
(D) The reasons given by Company P’s employees for their dissatisfaction varied greatly from employee to employee.
(E) A battery of sets performed on Company P’s employees one month ago revealed no significant psychological stresses or problems.

IMO D

CONCLUSION:==> the employees’ dissatisfaction must result from an unusually high incidence of psychological problems on their part.

FOUR OF THE ANSWER CHOICES ARE GOING TO WEAKEN==>means 4 answers are going to show that there is either no psychological problem with the employee or some other problematic reason is thereWHICH MIGHT BE CAUSING dissatisfaction within the employee.
the left answer will be either neutral to conclusion or strengthen the conclusion..and that will be correct answer.

(A) In the investigation of working conditions, no account was taken of the fact that for the past year many Company P employees worked on a joint venture with Company O, at Company O’s facilities.===>Now past year many employee worked on joint venture with 2 companies==>so concluding on the basis of investigation of any one company might be wrong==>this weakens ===>incorrect

(B) Workers in many companies are dissatisfied although there are no apparent problems with their working conditions.==>if some problems cant be seen then judging that worker is dissatisfied because of psychological problem( as investigator was not able to see that problem he is not considering that problem) is wrong===>weakening==>incorrect

(C) The consulting firm’s conception of what constitutes uncommonly bad working conditions is not identical to that of Company P’s employees.==>if consulting firms criteria for bad working condition is different from the employees criteria..then concluding that employee are dissatisfied due to psychological reason is not correct==>weakening==>incorrect

(D) The reasons given by Company P’s employees for their dissatisfaction varied greatly from employee to employee.===>we dont know why the employees are dissatisfied..it can be any reason...we are not sure whether they are dissatisfied because of working condition or because of psychological problem within them==>this is like neutral to conclusion===>correct

(E) A battery of sets performed on Company P’s employees one month ago revealed no significant psychological stresses or problems===>this one clearly gives us evidence to believe that the emplyees were psychologically fit===>weakens==>incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
psdeol wrote:
A confidential survey revealed that 75 percent of the employees of Company P are dissatisfied with their jobs. However, an investigation into working conditions at the company showed nothing uncommonly bad. Therefore, Company P's consulting firm concluded that the employees' dissatisfaction must result from an unusually high incidence of psychological problems on their part.

Each of the following, if true, casts doubt on the consulting firm's conclusion EXCEPT:

a. In the investigation of working conditions, no account was taken of the fact that for the past year many Company P employees worked on a joint venture with Company O, at Company O's facilities.
b. Workers in many companies are dissatisfied although there are no apparent problems with their working conditions.
c. The consulting firm's conception of what constitutes uncommonly bad working conditions is not identical to that of Company P's employees.
d. The reasons given by Company P's employees for their dissatisfaction varied greatly from employee to employee.
e. A battery of tests performed on Company P's employees one month ago revealed no significant psychological stresses or problems

I will treat this one as a tricky "EXCEPT" question.So let us first paraphrase the situation and then get down to the correct choice.

Situation : A confidential survey about company P has revealed that 75% of the employees are dissatisfied with their current jobs.However, a XYZ consulting firm hired by P says otherwise...and concludes that the reason why employees are dissatisfied is due to high rate of psychological problems faced by them.

Options A,C and E are definitely weakening the conclusion provided by the consulting firm.

The only options left are B and D.

B...This can be eliminated it gives us generic information about employees in different companies,whereas we would want a situation specific to company P.

D...If the reason given for employees' dissatisfaction, varied drastically among different employees,then this has to be attributed to other psychological problems faced by the employees ....because if the cause of their problem was the working conditions at company P ,the reason shouldn't have varied greatly...There would have been a common reason...Correct Answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
GMATNinja

Please help in understanding this question
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gamerguy0074 wrote:
GMATNinja

Hi gamerguy0074 ,

Let me help you.

Survey revealed 75% of the employees of Company P are dissatisfied.

Working conditions were all good.

Conclusion: Employees have psychological problems.

Pre thinking: Author is assuming only these two factors are actually responsible for dissatisfaction.

We need to find out 4 weakeners out of the options. The leftover will be the correct answer.

Let's look at the options now:

A In the investigation of working conditions, no account was taken of the fact that for the past year many Company P employees worked on a joint venture with Company O, at Company O's facilities. --> Ohh, It was company O that was the causing the problem. Hence, a weakener.

B. Workers in many companies are dissatisfied although there are no apparent problems with their working conditions. --> Ok, so it is not only P but many companies. Hence, something hidden is there that causing the problem.

C. The consulting firm's conception of what constitutes uncommonly bad working conditions is not identical to that of Company P's employees. --> What employees thing is good for them and what investigators think are different. So, it may happen that working conditions are actually bad for employees. Hence, a weakener.

D. The reasons given by Company P's employees for their dissatisfaction varied greatly from employee to employee. --> Yeah, it seems a little bit psychological of individuals part. Hence, kind of strengthener. Correct.

E. A battery of sets performed on Acme's employees one month ago revealed no significant psychological stresses or problems -> Again, a weakener. They have already been tested psychologically.

Let me know in case of any doubt.

P.S: Sorry, GMATNinja :)
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
abhimahna wrote:
gamerguy0074 wrote:
GMATNinja

Hi gamerguy0074 ,

Let me help you.

Pre thinking: Author is assuming only these two factors are actually responsible for dissatisfaction.

We need to find out 4 weakeners out of the options. The leftover will be the correct answer.

A In the investigation of working conditions, no account was taken of the fact that for the past year many Company P employees worked on a joint venture with Company O, at Company O's facilities. --> Ohh, It was company O that was the causing the problem. Hence, a weakener.

B. Workers in many companies are dissatisfied although there are no apparent problems with their working conditions. --> Ok, so it is not only P but many companies. Hence, something hidden is there that causing the problem.

C. The consulting firm's conception of what constitutes uncommonly bad working conditions is not identical to that of Company P's employees. --> What employees thing is good for them and what investigators think are different. So, it may happen that working conditions are actually bad for employees. Hence, a weakener.

D. The reasons given by Company P's employees for their dissatisfaction varied greatly from employee to employee. --> Yeah, it seems a little bit psychological of individuals part. Hence, kind of strengthener. Correct.

E. A battery of sets performed on Acme's employees one month ago revealed no significant psychological stresses or problems -> Again, a weakener. They have already been tested psychologically.

Hi Bro,

Going by this explanation, option A and option D are alike. If we give reason other than those stated in the passage the option will weaken the passage. However, option D also gives "many reason" i.e. it is saying other than the reasons stated by the author there are many other reasons. Thus it should be weakener.

Please throw some light on this.

Regards
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi Bro,

Going by this explanation, option A and option D are alike. If we give reason other than those stated in the passage the option will weaken the passage. However, option D also gives "many reason" i.e. it is saying other than the reasons stated by the author there are many other reasons. Thus it should be weakener.

Please throw some light on this.

Regards

Hi gmatexam439 ,

No, you are taking option D in the wrong way.

A is providing us an alternate reason. Hence, a weakener.

Now, let's talk about D.

It was the firm that concluded that since working conditions are good, it must be their psychological issues.

Note that they are not considering the opinion of people while coming up to this conclusion. Assuming that they are asking people would be wrong.

Now, D is saying when asked from people, they stated different reasons. How do you know these were not just the psychological problems of them?

Hence, D is actually a kind of strengthener to what the firm concluded.

Now, I know that why you mentioned different reasons out of D. You are assuming that the author's conclusion is based on what people said. But it is not true.

It is obvious to state that if I have different psychological problem, I would say a different reason for my problem. So, it is all about their mental problems and not any alternate reason.

Does that makes sense?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
gamerguy0074 wrote:
GMATNinja

Hi gamerguy0074 ,

Let me help you.

abhimahna hi bro, I think D’s wording is sort of obscure and make tester confused. What the definition of psychological issue?
For eg, maybe employees are dissatisfied with the lower wage, and I don’t think this belongs to psychological issue. So D can also weaken the conclusion.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts