GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Apr 2019, 16:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A fish tank contains a number of fish, including 5 Fantails. If two

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
A fish tank contains a number of fish, including 5 Fantails. If two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 03:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:25) correct 26% (01:43) wrong based on 76 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A fish tank contains a number of fish, including 5 Fantails. If two fish are selected from the tank at random, what is the probability that both will be Fantails?

(1) The probability that the first fish chosen will be a Fantail is 1/2.

(2) If the first selected fish is a Fantail, then the probability the second selection is also a Fantail is 4/9

ORIGINAL VERSION:
A fish tank contains a number of fish, including 5 Fantails. If two fish are selected from the tank at random, what is the probability that both will be Fantails?

(2) The probability that the second fish chosen will be a Fantail is 4/9.

Edited because of the reasons sited by IanStewart HERE.

GMAT ToolKit User
A fish tank contains a number of fish, including 5 Fantails. If two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 04:05
Bunuel wrote:

(2) If the first selected fish is a Fantail, then the probability the second selection is also a Fantail is 4/9.

Assume that that fish tank contains 5 Fantails and \(n\) other fishes. The total fishes in that tank are \(n+5\)

A is the case that the first fish chosen will be a Fantail
B is the case that the second fish chosen will be a Fantail

(1) We have \(P(A) = \frac{5}{n+5}=\frac{1}{2} \implies n=5\). Since we know how many fishes are in that fish tank, we will know the probability to select 2 Fantails from that tank. Sufficient.

(2) Note that the probability that the second fish chosen is based on the first fish selected. Hence we have

\(P(B|A)=\frac{4}{n+4} = \frac{4}{9} \implies n=5\). Sufficient.

The answer is D
S
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge
Re: A fish tank contains a number of fish, including 5 Fantails. If two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jul 2017, 07:57

(2) The probability that the second fish chosen will be a Fantail is 4/9.

Solution:

Statement 1: This choice says that the no. of fish=5, The probability of Fantail=5/10=1/2. Sufficient.

Statement 2:
Let the no. of fish=x,
1.Prob of first (Fish)+ Prob of second (Fantail) Or
2. Prob of both(Fantail)
1.[(x/x+5)]*[(x-1)/(x+5-1)]=4/9.

Solving this, we get x^2-9x-16=0.
x is not an integer.(NOT POSSIBLE)

2. This gives x=5.(Only Possible Value).

Therefore the answer is Option D.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by harikrish on 11 Jul 2017, 07:46.
Last edited by harikrish on 11 Jul 2017, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A fish tank contains a number of fish, including 5 Fantails. If two  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 07:55
Let the other fishes be x.we hav 5+x fishes in total.

Probability of both fantails=5/(5+x)*4/(5+x)-1
=5/(5+x)*4/(4+x)-----(1)

Statement 1:
First chosen fish is fantail.
=>5/(5+x)=1/2
=>x=5
So total 15 fishes

From (1) Probability can be found out...Sufficient

Statement 2:

4/(4+x)=4/9
=> x=5 again

15 fishes in total
Probability can be found....Sufficient

Each alone sufficient
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 08:11
The question makes no mathematical sense. If you pick fish from a tank, and the probability you get a Fantail on the first pick is 1/2, then the probability you get a Fantail on the second pick is also 1/2, if you don't have any information at all about the first fish you picked. There is no logical reason the second fish should be more or less likely than the first to be a Fantail. The two statements are logically incompatible. That's the reason the correct solutions above are not getting an integer value using Statement 2 - the statement is wrong.

What the question designer means to say is: "If the first selected fish is a Fantail, then the probability the second selection is also a Fantail is 4/9". Then the question makes sense, and using either statement you have 10 fish in total, so you can answer the question.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 08:15
IanStewart wrote:
The question makes no mathematical sense. If you pick fish from a tank, and the probability you get a Fantail on the first pick is 1/2, then the probability you get a Fantail on the second pick is also 1/2, if you don't have any information at all about the first fish you picked. There is no logical reason the second fish should be more or less likely than the first to be a Fantail. The two statements are logically incompatible. That's the reason the correct solutions above are not getting an integer value using Statement 2 - the statement is wrong.

What the question designer means to say is: "If the first selected fish is a Fantail, then the probability the second selection is also a Fantail is 4/9". Then the question makes sense, and using either statement you have 10 fish in total, so you can answer the question.

Edited as suggested. Thank you.

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 08:43
Bunuel wrote:

I appreciate that this makes the question more useful to test takers reading the forum, but if you fix up mistakes in prep company questions, but still attribute the improved question to the prep company, that might mislead test takers who will purchase prep materials based on the questions they see posted here. Those test takers may think there are fewer errors in the original source than there really are. And the converse situation would also be problematic - if someone, say, posted one of my questions here, but changed it, I'd not want the question attributed to me, since I take a lot of care with the wording of my questions and wouldn't want that wording altered.

Probably the best policy in general is to post the original version of the question, along with the source, and then the corrected version immediately underneath, indicating that the question has been fixed, with an explanation why.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 08:49
IanStewart wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I appreciate that this makes the question more useful to test takers reading the forum, but if you fix up mistakes in prep company questions, but still attribute the improved question to the prep company, that might mislead test takers who will purchase prep materials based on the questions they see posted here. Those test takers may think there are fewer errors in the original source than there really are. And the converse situation would also be problematic - if someone, say, posted one of my questions here, but changed it, I'd not want the question attributed to me, since I take a lot of care with the wording of my questions and wouldn't want that wording altered.

Probably the best policy in general is to post the original version of the question, along with the source, and then the corrected version immediately underneath, indicating that the question has been fixed, with an explanation why.

B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 2.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 09:47
I would choose D.

First is fantail probability 1/2 implies it is 5/10
hence for second to be fantail: 5/10*4/9
Sufficient

Similarly ,
for statement 2 - it is sufficient as above.

Answer D

+1 kudos if you like the post.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A fish tank contains a number of fish, including 5 Fantails. If two   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2017, 09:47

A fish tank contains a number of fish, including 5 Fantails. If two

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap