Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 966 [37]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [34]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: A greater number of cars are sold in Town P than in Town Q. Therefore [#permalink]
Kudos
A must remember on CR question is to attack the conclusion and not the fact presented in the question. Option E attacks the fact or the only premise of the question, hence cannot be the correct answer.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Re: A greater number of cars are sold in Town P than in Town Q. Therefore [#permalink]
pqhai: i understand there has been no mention of the prices. but if the average price per car is low in p than in q, wouldn't it be like an incentive for people to buy more cars and hence spend more time driving.
On the other hand C indicates that many people buy second hand cars (irrelevant- second hand or brand new, they are still sold). But importantly it has been mentioned that many people buy those second hand cars and rarely drive which brings us to the conclusion that although more cars are sold in p people don't spend more time driving. I know its ambiguous but it seems less ambiguous than the two.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 08-08-2014
GRE 1: Q148 V143
GPA: 3.77
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
The 1st statement is self explanatory and claims that number of cars sold in Town P is more than that of Town Q. However, based only on this statement it can't be concluded that residents of Town P spend more time driving their cars, per capita, than those of Town Q.

Please Note: 'per capita' here refers to 'income per person' (mean/avg income of the people of Town P & Town Q separately)

Based on the question we have to strengthen the conclusion whatsoever.
A. One way to infer this statement and conclude is that larger population = more number of cars = more people spending time in driving their cars (as compared to Town Q, but the income factor is still missing) - eliminate
B. Town Q people buy in Town P because they work there. How is that related? It doesn't strengthen our argument still - eliminate
C. Many Town P people buy 2nd cars and use them rarely - it weakens the argument, thus failing the conclusion that Town P residents spend more time driving their cars - eliminate
D. Not at all a required or related information - eliminate

E. Avg price of cars sold in Town P is less than that of Town Q, ere-go people in Town P buy more cars = spend more time driving them = increased affordability of cars as compared to Town Q residents - correct

Please give kudos (+1) if you think I might have helped.
I solved this and have tried to explain it in the most simplest way I thought it could have been done.
Thank You :snipersmile:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
sharadGmat wrote:
A greater number of cars are sold in Town P than in Town Q. Therefore, the citizens of Town P spend more time driving their cars, per capita, than do the citizens of Town Q.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion above EXCEPT:

A. Town P has a larger population than Town Q.
B. Most citizens of Town Q work in Town P and buy their cars there.
C. Many residents of Town P purchase second cars that they use only rarely.
D. Most drivers from Town P tend to drive only during the day, and only within the city limits of Town P.
E. The average price of cars sold in Town P is lower than the average price of cars sold in Town Q.
ps_dahiya: Sharad, it will be very helpful if you could format the question a little bit. It was too difficult to read.

While attempting questions from ***** I always wonder, should I be wasting my time on these questions? This one is again a classic example of wasted time.
Option D & E both require an assumption (in D, we need to assume that town P is not substantially bigger/smaller in area than town Q, also we need to assume the driving habits of town Q drivers whether they prefer driving in day or night or 24*7...in E we have to assume that less price of the car is resulting in more number of car purchase)
Though if this kind of question comes in GMAT, I wonder if flipping a coin would help?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts