GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 05:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 May 2018, 11:29
When we say, believed to be, we mean to say that whatever is being talked about is currently existing. But those animals are said to have died along with dinosaurs; so the use of believed to be is incongruous. Believed to have been denotes something that was in the past only and not presently and therefore, the appropriate idiom to use in this case

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 17 Mar 2013, 07:56.
Last edited by daagh on 30 May 2018, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 05:42
daagh wrote:
Have been is more appropriate for the simple reason that you cannot use the present tense to be. As it will mean that, the animals are still existent. On the contrary, have been denotes, that the animals existed in the past but are not so at this point: have been thus seals the rear end of the phenomenon, which is the reality now.

I think usage of 'it' is wrong in option 'c'
Retired Moderator
D
Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 07:25
Top Contributor
KUNAL
Why is 'it' wrong in C?
daagh

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 05:59
daagh wrote:
KUNAL
Why is 'it' wrong in C?
daagh

This is what I am thinking but undoubdetly you are the best.
the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet And is believed
We have got the the subject ' Quetzalcoatlus' why we have to start the new clause with 'it'
Retired Moderator
D
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 08:10
Top Contributor
Kunal

In that case, one cannot say it is wrong, but at worst, it might be wordier by a word.
Look at these two sentences
The mermaid was still seen to glide along the waters, and mingling her voice with the sighing breeze, was often heard to sing of subterranean wonders, or to chant prophecies of future events.
The mermaid was still seen to glide along the waters, and mingling her voice with the sighing breeze, she was often heard to sing of subterranean wonders, or to chant prophecies of future events.

While the first one is a simple sentence with a compound predicate, the second one a legitimate compound sentence. Can we afford to say such compound sentences are wrong?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 04:40
daagh wrote:
Kunal

In that case, one cannot say it is wrong, but at worst, it might be wordier by a word.
Look at these two sentences
The mermaid was still seen to glide along the waters, and mingling her voice with the sighing breeze, was often heard to sing of subterranean wonders, or to chant prophecies of future events.
The mermaid was still seen to glide along the waters, and mingling her voice with the sighing breeze, she was often heard to sing of subterranean wonders, or to chant prophecies of future events.

While the first one is a simple sentence with a compound predicate, the second one a legitimate compound sentence. Can we afford to say such compound sentences are wrong?

Thank you so much for clarifying the doubt, can you please clear two more things.
1) Generally we prefer the sentence no '1'?
2) The mermaid was still seen to glide along the waters, and mingling her voice with the sighing breeze, was often heard to sing of subterranean wonders, or to chant prophecies of future events.
In this sentence ' mingling her voice with the sighing breeze ' IS THE MODIFIER USED FOR ' was often heard to sing of subterranean wonders'
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 06:53
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.

(A) believed to be
(B) and that is believed to be
(C) and it is believed to have been
(D) which was, it is believed,
(E) which is believed to be

Why is B not correct?
I believe both "That" in option B and "It" in option C can refer back to both wingspan and the reptile.
And which one is correct - "to be" or "to have been".
I am confused in between these things.
Please help.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 09:41
jackspire wrote:
Why is B not correct?
I believe both "That" in option B and "It" in option C can refer back to both wingspan and the reptile.
Please help.

Hey jackspire ,

I am happy to help. :-)

The key to understand which one to use out of "believe to be" vs "believed to have been" IS to read the non underlined portion of the sentence properly.

It is saying "world has ever seen". Since we are using present perfect tense, it implies the world has still not seen any other largest creature. Since it is happening in present also, we will simply say it is still believed.

If you use "Believed to be", it means it was believed in the past. And now we no longer believe so. If we don't believe it now, that means we found another largest creature. If so, why are we saying "world HAS ever seen"?

Understanding the meaning is the key to answer this question.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 09:50
abhimahna wrote:
jackspire wrote:
Why is B not correct?
Please help.

Hey jackspire ,

I am happy to help. :-)

The key to understand which one to use out of "believe to be" vs "believed to have been" IS to read the non underlined portion of the sentence properly.

It is saying "world has ever seen". Since we are using present perfect tense, it implies the world has still not seen any other largest creature. Since it is happening in present also, we will simply say it is still believed.

If you use "Believed to be", it means it was believed in the past. And now we no longer believe so. If we don't believe it now, that means we found another largest creature. If so, why are we saying "world HAS ever seen"?

Understanding the meaning is the key to answer this question.

Does that make sense?

Thanks abhimahna :-)
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 10:45
Top Contributor
The Blue whale weighing close to 200 tons is believed to be the largest living animal on the planet (living even now) -- correct
The Blue whale weighing close to 200 tons is believed to have been the largest living animal on the planet. ( living even now) not correct since 'living' and 'to have been' do not sync

The Dinosaurs are believed to be huge animals that lived 65 million years ago. -- Not correct since 'to be' and 'lived' do not gel.
The Dinosaurs are believed to have been huge animals that lived 65 million years ago. -- Not correct since 'to be' and 'lived' do not gel.
Trump is said to be a good President-- correct
Trump is said to have been a good President -- not correct.
Clinton is said to be a successful President -- not correct
Clinton is said to have been a successful President. -- Correct.

'To be' implies current times while 'to have been' implies some past happening.
You may see why 'to have been' is more appropriate.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 17:14
daagh wrote:
The Blue whale weighing close to 200 tons is believed to be the largest living animal on the planet (living even now) -- correct
The Blue whale weighing close to 200 tons is believed to have been the largest living animal on the planet. ( living even now) not correct since 'living' and 'to have been' do not sync

The Dinosaurs are believed to be huge animals that lived 65 million years ago. -- Not correct since 'to be' and 'lived' do not gel.
The Dinosaurs are believed to have been huge animals that lived 65 million years ago. -- Not correct since 'to be' and 'lived' do not gel.
Trump is said to be a good President-- correct
Trump is said to have been a good President -- not correct.
Clinton is said to be a successful President -- not correct
Clinton is said to have been a successful President. -- Correct.

'To be' implies current times while 'to have been' implies some past happening.
You may see why 'to have been' is more appropriate.

Thanks "daagh".

But I guess the following example with "to have been" is correct. It's telling something about past.

Please comment if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 20:20
monarc wrote:
A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.

(A) believed to be

The answer is C..When exactly to use Have been, Had been and had. can anybody point out the subtle differences..thankx....

A. believed to be - Verbed is modifying the nearest noun wingspan- logically wrong
B. “That” is ambiguous. What it is referring to? Is it wingspan, Quetzalocoatlus or Smth else. - WRONG
C. THIS IS CORRECT. Structure is Modifier+,+IC+,+and+ Ic. - CORRECT STRUCTURE. Following parallelism as well with and.
D&E, usage of which , was and is all wrong.
C is the answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 01:56
monarc wrote:

(A) believed to be

The answer is C..When exactly to use Have been, Had been and had. can anybody point out the subtle differences..thankx....

look at choice D and E
in fact, which can jump over a short verb phrase to modify Queszalocatlus as in many official questions. but if which do so here, the meaning is illogic
Quezlcauto , of the kind which is belived to be largest had the . this mean there are other Quexalzsoto of other kind. this meaing is not logic
choice C show that it had large wing and is belived to be largest . the two ideas are parallel and logic. good one
Re: A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million &nbs [#permalink] 03 Jun 2018, 01:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap