GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 27 Jan 2020, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Posts: 39
A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2010, 12:25
2
30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:34) correct 35% (01:40) wrong based on 522 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to represent each of its branches. The same integer can be used for both digits of a code, and a pair of two-digit numbers that are the reverse of each other (such as 17 and 71) are considered as two separate codes. What is the fewest number of different integers required for the 15 codes?

A. 3
B. 4
C. 5
D. 6
E. 7
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60659
Re: Permutation question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2010, 12:44
2
2
zest4mba wrote:
A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to represent each of its branches. The same integer can be used for both digits of a code, and a pair of two-digit numbers that are the reverse of each other (such as 17 and 71) are considered as two separate codes. What is the fewest number of different integers required for the 15 codes?

Choices
A 3

B 4

C 5

D 6

E 7


Consider the code XY. If there are \(n\) digits available then X can take \(n\) values and Y can also take \(n\) values, thus from \(n\) digits we can form \(n^2\) different 2-digit codes: this is the same as from 10 digits (0, 1, 2, 3, ..., 9) we can form 10^2=100 different 2-digit numbers (00, 01, 02, ..., 99).

We want # of codes possible from \(n\) digit to be at least 15 --> \(n^2\geq{15}\) --> \(n\geq4\), hence min 4 digits are required.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 714
Location: London
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Bank combination  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2010, 16:02
1
with k integers, the number of possible codes is k*k=k^2

We need k^2>15

Minimum k is 4.
Ans : (b)
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 356
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Reviews Badge
Re: Permutation question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2010, 16:19
I'm confused how xy would have n*n possibilities...wouldn't it b n*(n-1) possibilities because you would have to have two different digits? For example 17 and 71 are two different codes but 99 and 99 are the same code. Can someone explain?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60659
Re: Permutation question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2010, 00:00
Michmax3 wrote:
I'm confused how xy would have n*n possibilities...wouldn't it b n*(n-1) possibilities because you would have to have two different digits? For example 17 and 71 are two different codes but 99 and 99 are the same code. Can someone explain?


It's always good to test theoretical thoughts on practice:

How many codes can be formed using 2 digits (\(n=2\)), 0 and 1.:

00;
01;
10;
11.

4=2^2.

Or consider the following: how many 2-digit codes can be formed out of 10 digits (0, 1, 2, 3, ..., 9)?
00;
01;
02;
...
99.

Total 100=10^2.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 172
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Permutation question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2010, 09:13
Michmax3 wrote:
I'm confused how xy would have n*n possibilities...wouldn't it b n*(n-1) possibilities because you would have to have two different digits? For example 17 and 71 are two different codes but 99 and 99 are the same code. Can someone explain?


n * (n-1) is to say that 99 will not be chosen. To choose 99 once we are saying n*n should be the combo
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 199
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Re: Permutation question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2011, 17:58
Bunuel wrote:
zest4mba wrote:
A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to represent each of its branches. The same integer can be used for both digits of a code, and a pair of two-digit numbers that are the reverse of each other (such as 17 and 71) are considered as two separate codes. What is the fewest number of different integers required for the 15 codes?

Choices
A 3

B 4

C 5

D 6

E 7


Consider the code XY. If there are \(n\) digits available then X can take \(n\) values and Y can also take \(n\) values, thus from \(n\) digits we can form \(n^2\) different 2-digit codes: this is the same as from 10 digits (0, 1, 2, 3, ..., 9) we can form 10^2=100 different 2-digit numbers (00, 01, 02, ..., 99).

We want # of codes possible from \(n\) digit to be at least 15 --> \(n^2\geq{15}\) --> \(n\geq4\), hence min 4 digits are required.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

Actually it could be A. B/c think of these arrangements for the 15 codes.

00, 01, 10, 02, 20, 03, 30, 11, 21, 12, 31, 13, 22, 23, 32 and 33. We have 16 arrangements so minimum # of different integers used can be 3.

What do you think?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60659
Re: Permutation question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2011, 18:03
mariyea wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
zest4mba wrote:
A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to represent each of its branches. The same integer can be used for both digits of a code, and a pair of two-digit numbers that are the reverse of each other (such as 17 and 71) are considered as two separate codes. What is the fewest number of different integers required for the 15 codes?

Choices
A 3

B 4

C 5

D 6

E 7


Consider the code XY. If there are \(n\) digits available then X can take \(n\) values and Y can also take \(n\) values, thus from \(n\) digits we can form \(n^2\) different 2-digit codes: this is the same as from 10 digits (0, 1, 2, 3, ..., 9) we can form 10^2=100 different 2-digit numbers (00, 01, 02, ..., 99).

We want # of codes possible from \(n\) digit to be at least 15 --> \(n^2\geq{15}\) --> \(n\geq4\), hence min 4 digits are required.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

Actually it could be A. B/c think of these arrangements for the 15 codes.

00, 01, 10, 02, 20, 03, 30, 11, 21, 12, 31, 13, 22, 23, 32 and 33. We have 16 arrangements so minimum # of different integers used can be 3.

What do you think?


How many digits did you use?

Answer is B not A.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 14
Location: United States (AL)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Re: Permutation question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2011, 19:29
mariyea,
You used four digits: 0, 1, 2, 3
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 199
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Re: Permutation question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2011, 06:53
1
Bunuel wrote:

How many digits did you use?

Answer is B not A.


Well this is kind of embarrassing :oops: Forgot about zero :lol: My bad!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 131
Location: Prague
Schools: University of Economics Prague
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Permutation question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2011, 18:07
mariyea wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

How many digits did you use?

Answer is B not A.


Well this is kind of embarrassing :oops: Forgot about zero :lol: My bad!


Nice one :) zero is the everlasting problem, not only by you...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 199
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Re: Permutation question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2011, 09:56
craky wrote:
mariyea wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

How many digits did you use?

Answer is B not A.


Well this is kind of embarrassing :oops: Forgot about zero :lol: My bad!


Nice one :) zero is the everlasting problem, not only by you...


Thank you for trying to keep my confidence intact :-D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2010
Posts: 87
Re: Permutation question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2011, 10:22
Starting with choice A, 3 * 3 = 9 options are possible to code 15 branches. Not suff. Using 4 in choice B, 4 * 4 = 16 options are possible. We need the fewest. So B.
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1009
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to r  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2013, 10:35
\(N\)= number of integers
We have \(N\)options for the first one, \(N-1\) options for the second. So a total of \(N(N-1)\) combinations, and we want that \(N(N-1)=15\). Now or you plug in the different options, or you solve \(N^2-N-15=0\); the first way seems faster, so lets try with A) 3 : 3*2=6 No B)4*3=12 No again C)5*4=20 YES

C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 6
Location: Argentina
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V42
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to r  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2013, 10:43
I started from an small matrix :

11 12 13 14 15 16 17
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
31 32 33 34 35 36 37
41 42 43 44 45 46 47
51 52 53 54 55 56 57
61 62 63 64 65 66 67
71 72 73 74 75 76 77

Then I highlight the possible combinations (not considering the numbers with repeated integers) For example with 1 integer there are nor any number possible, with 2 integers, 2 possible numbers, with 3 integers , 6 possible numbers, with 4 integers, 12 possible numbers, and with 5 ... 20 . Correct Answer C

I know it´s not the finest answer, I guess it should be explained with combinatory.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60659
A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2013, 04:48
Similar questions to practice:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-researcher- ... 34584.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/if-a-code-wor ... 26652.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-of-the-st ... 26630.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplasti ... 05845.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-4-letter-co ... 59065.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-certain-sto ... 86656.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-5-digit-cod ... 32263.html

Hope it helps.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2010
Posts: 24
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2013, 00:05
Let the required number of digits be n.
Considering the given conditions,
i)The first digit can be filled up in n ways.
ii)The second digit can be filled up in n ways too.
So we will get \(n * n = n^2\) numbers.

\(n^2 \geq 15\)

=>\(n \geq 4\) [since n is an integer.]

So,option B will be the correct answer.
-------------------------------------------
Please press KUDOS if you like my post.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Learning
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 36
Location: India
Schools: WBUT - Class of 2011
GMAT Date: 01-06-2014
GPA: 2.6
WE: Research (Education)
Re: A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2014, 08:24
1
More easy solution. Think logically.

Pick any two integer.

Integers: 1 & 2

Code: 11, 12, 21, 22 = 4 Codes

Add one more integer: 3

13, 31, 33, 23, 32 = 5 Codes

Add one more integer: 4

44, 14, 41, 24, 42, 34, 43 = 7 Codes

Total = 16 Codes. Enough. Answer: B

2 integers create 4 codes. we need 15 codes.

zest4mba wrote:
A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to represent each of its branches. The same integer can be used for both digits of a code, and a pair of two-digit numbers that are the reverse of each other (such as 17 and 71) are considered as two separate codes. What is the fewest number of different integers required for the 15 codes?

A. 3
B. 4
C. 5
D. 6
E. 7
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2014
Posts: 138
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2014, 08:35
A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to represent each of its branches. The same integer can be used for both digits of a code, and a pair of two-digit numbers that are the reverse of each other (such as 17 and 71) are considered as two separate codes. What is the fewest number of different integers required for the 15 codes?

A. 3
B. 4
C. 5
D. 6
E. 7


We can write that
XC1 + XP2 = 15
Lets take X=3
3+ 6 = 9

Now lets take X=4
4 + 12 = 16 - This is close to our answer. Hence B is the answer
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 518
Schools: Cambridge'16
A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 23:51
1
Try to explain why Permutation formula does not fully work here

if we have 4 distinct numbers, e.g. 0,1,2,3

00,01,02,03
10,11,12,13
20,21,22,23
30,31,32,33
we have 16 options (of 2 numbers taken)

permutation formula is P=n!/(n-2)!, so if n=4 we get only 12 options.

But formula defines how many times the arrangements of 4 distinct objects is that of any 2 distinct objects.
So, it excludes 00,11,22,33 from the list, i.e. 4 options

So, 12+4=16 and 4 numbers is enough

B
GMAT Club Bot
A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2015, 23:51

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A local bank that has 15 branches uses a two-digit code to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne