Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2389 [299]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14674 [115]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [21]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
ritjn2003 wrote:
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.

(A) it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make

(B) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make

(C) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make

(D) that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making

(E) as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, hampers their ability to make sense of speech.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Idioms + Verb Forms

• “so A that B” is a correct, idiomatic usage that describes cause (A) and effect (B).
• "ability to" is generally preferred over "ability for".
• The introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “resulting” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "and, the result is, to make"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, the children are able to make sense of speech; the intended meaning is that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, hampers their ability to make sense of speech. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "so A ("brisk") B ("it hampers the ability...words")"; please remember, “so A that B” is a correct, idiomatic usage that describes cause (A) and effect (B). Additionally, Option A uses the construction "ability for"; please remember, "ability to" is generally preferred over "ability for".

B: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "and, as a result, to make", conveying the intended meaning - that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, the brisk pace also hampers their ability to make sense of speech. Further, Option B correctly uses the idiomatic construction "so A ("brisk") that B ("it hampers the ability...words")" to refer to the cause-effect relationship between the briskness of the conversational pace of everyday life and the fact that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words. Additionally, Option B uses the preferred construction "ability to".

C: This answer choice subtly alters the meaning of the sentence through the clause "they are unable to make"; the construction of this clause incorrectly implies that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, the children are unable to make sense of speech; the intended meaning is that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, the brisk pace also hampers their ability to make sense of speech.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "and results in not making"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, the brisk pace hampers their ability to make sense of speech.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "resulting in being unable to make"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, the brisk pace is unable to make sense of speech; the intended meaning is that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, the brisk pace also hampers their ability to make sense of speech; remember, the introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “resulting” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship. Additionally, Option E uses the construction "ability for"; please remember, "ability to" is generally preferred over "ability for".

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Comma + Present Participles for Cause-Effect Relationships" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1141 [4]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Re: A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may [#permalink]
Kudos
What's wrong with B?

B makes sense as the intention is to say that ability is hampered and not completely gone.
Quote:
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it
hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and,
the result is, to make
sense of speech.
A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and
words and, the result is, to make
B. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
words and, as a result, to make
C. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
words and, the result of this, they are unable to make
D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and
words, and results in not making
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and

A,E are gone for idiom: ability to

D has the problem:
the conversational pace of everyday life hampers the ability of children to .. and results in not making sense of speech (of whom children are not implicit in here)
Also the intention is to say hampering the ability not loosing it.

C says they are unable => extreme and changes the meaning

hampering the ability doesn't imply that the person doesn't have the ability.
If original question intend to say that they are unable, then C would be the correct choice.

-------------
Please underline the SC question segment
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
rohitgoel15 wrote:
A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make sense of speech.
A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make
B. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make
C. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make
D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make

I always get these kind of questions wrong. I always end up making wrong things parallel..
In this case i did hampers with results ...

Can anyone please suggest how to improve on this one particular topic? How to find what parallels what? :oops:

May be i can't suggest how to improve...
But i can try help you see the fine print in the given question..

A new study suggests that the conversational pace of everyday life may be so brisk that.. we need to have a "THAT" here.. also "so as to" is unidiomatic in option E.

So we are left with B,C and D.

D: what "results in not making": In this case this phrase modifies "conversational pace of everyday life". Here "inability of the children"............ results in not making.

C: As a result of "This" : Usage of this is ambiguous.

Answer B.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos

A. it hampers the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words and, the result is, to make
B. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, as a result, to make
C. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words and, the result of this, they are unable to make
D. that it hampers the ability of some children to distinguish discrete sounds and words, and results in not making
E. as to hamper the ability of some children for distinguishing discrete sounds and words, resulting in being unable to make
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 484 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I took B because the other choices contained flaws.

However, I have a gerneral question about the use of "it". I thought that "it" could possibly refer to study instead of pace. Is this ruled out by "that", which introduces a realtive clause? I know it is not asked in the question but in other SC problems there are a lot of unclear referent issues...
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3947 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Kudos
fiendex wrote:
I took B because the other choices contained flaws.

However, I have a gerneral question about the use of "it". I thought that "it" could possibly refer to study instead of pace. Is this ruled out by "that", which introduces a realtive clause? I know it is not asked in the question but in other SC problems there are a lot of unclear referent issues...

You can accept certain ambiguity in pronouns. They should be your last split when you eliminate the choices, except if there is a non-sense pronoun.

Also, notice that "it" is parallel with "conversacional pace". Both are subjects in their clauses.
When that happens, there is less ambiguity. But the sentences must be parallel.

+1 B
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
D says: ...conversational pace...results in not making sense of speech.

The correct answer says: ...conversational pace...hampers the ability of some children...to make sense of speech.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Can someone please explain why, in option C, "the result of this" is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
russ9 wrote:

You can directly eliminate option C because Suggests is Singular verb (base form of verb(v1) +s is always singular).
So we need singular noun/pronoun to refer to it .
They is incorrectly used in option C.

Hope this helps .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
dheeraj24 wrote:
russ9 wrote:

You can directly eliminate option C because Suggests is Singular verb (base form of verb(v1) +s is always singular).
So we need singular noun/pronoun to refer to it .
They is incorrectly used in option C.

Hope this helps .

I don't think that's correct? Doesn't "they" refer to "children"?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [2]
Given Kudos: 74
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM