GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 21:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 23
A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 21:20
1
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:50) correct 40% (02:03) wrong based on 152 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, then immediately turns right and walks y feet more before pausing. The rat then walks in a straight line back to where it started, and then, without pausing, continues walking in this direction for another 2 feet before it stops. For how much time did the rat spend walking?

(1) y = 8
(2) The rat completed its walk 6 minutes after it started walking.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 23
A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 21:20
1
OA

Correct Answer: E

Explanation:

(1) This allows us to calculate the length of the rat's walk in feet. The rat walked 6 feet, then 8 feet, then 10 feet (since the rat's path has described a right triangle back to the starting point, and the lengths 6, 8, and 10 are multiples of a 3 : 4 : 5 triangle. The rat then continues for 2 feet, so we have all the lengths: 6, 8, 10, and 2. That sums to 26 feet, but does not give us the time spent walking. Accordingly, the statement is insufficient.

(2) This gives us the complete time of the rat's "journey," but we don't know the length of the time spent walking, as opposed to pausing. This statement is also insufficient. Even when we take the statements together, we are not provided a rate via which to use the distance given in statement 1 to find the time spent traveling, nor do we have information regarding the duration of the rat's pause to be able to make use of the time given in statement 2. Accordingly, the correct answer is E.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 23
Re: A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 21:22
In my view, the correct answer should be B because we're getting the Total Time. We know that the rate didn't spend any time pausing.. So the answer should be 6 mins.

Hence (b)

Can someone please explain what my error is?

Expert help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in adv.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 175
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 21:40
1
pratikshr wrote:
A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, then immediately turns right and walks y feet more before pausing. The rat then walks in a straight line back to where it started, and then, without pausing, continues walking in this direction for another 2 feet before it stops. For how much time did the rat spend walking?

(1) y = 8
(2) The rat completed its walk 6 minutes after it started walking.



then immediately turns right and walks y feet more before pausing
.... the rat did pausing, but no one knows for how long

Answer E
_________________

.........................................................................
+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8397
Location: Pune, India
Re: A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2014, 22:06
2
pratikshr wrote:
In my view, the correct answer should be B because we're getting the Total Time. We know that the rate didn't spend any time pausing.. So the answer should be 6 mins.

Hence (b)

Can someone please explain what my error is?

Expert help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in adv.


You are not given that the rat walks at a uniform rate/speed. You can talk about the distance covered, but you can't say anything about time. We know that he covered the last 2 feet in 6 mins but did he walk at the same rate before? We don't know. Perhaps before he covered 3 feet in 6 mins or perhaps just 1 foot in 6 mins. The question needs to clearly mention that it walks at a uniform rate.
Also, the length of the pause, though usually assumed very small, is not given.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 250
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2015, 08:54
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
pratikshr wrote:
In my view, the correct answer should be B because we're getting the Total Time. We know that the rate didn't spend any time pausing.. So the answer should be 6 mins.

Hence (b)

Can someone please explain what my error is?

Expert help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in adv.


You are not given that the rat walks at a uniform rate/speed. You can talk about the distance covered, but you can't say anything about time. We know that he covered the last 2 feet in 6 mins but did he walk at the same rate before? We don't know. Perhaps before he covered 3 feet in 6 mins or perhaps just 1 foot in 6 mins. The question needs to clearly mention that it walks at a uniform rate.
Also, the length of the pause, though usually assumed very small, is not given.

The question also mentions that the mice started walking 6 feet. It never mentions if he completed it. Is it implied?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8397
Location: Pune, India
Re: A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2015, 20:24
1
b2bt wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
pratikshr wrote:
In my view, the correct answer should be B because we're getting the Total Time. We know that the rate didn't spend any time pausing.. So the answer should be 6 mins.

Hence (b)

Can someone please explain what my error is?

Expert help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in adv.


You are not given that the rat walks at a uniform rate/speed. You can talk about the distance covered, but you can't say anything about time. We know that he covered the last 2 feet in 6 mins but did he walk at the same rate before? We don't know. Perhaps before he covered 3 feet in 6 mins or perhaps just 1 foot in 6 mins. The question needs to clearly mention that it walks at a uniform rate.
Also, the length of the pause, though usually assumed very small, is not given.

The question also mentions that the mice started walking 6 feet. It never mentions if he completed it. Is it implied?


"A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, then immediately turns right..."

Since we are given what he does after walking 6 feet in a straight line, it is obvious that he completed the 6 feet.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 19
Location: United States
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 00:21
Hi Karishma,

A ques for you, in your above post you mentioned that "We know that he covered the last 2 feet in 6 mins".

Statement 2 states that "rat completed its walk 6 minutes after it started walking." ; I think it means that the rat finished the entire walk, including the pause time, in 6 minutes.

Not sure how you derived that rat covered the last 2 feet in 6 mins??

Thanks
AT
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8397
Location: Pune, India
Re: A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2015, 02:04
atom wrote:
Hi Karishma,

A ques for you, in your above post you mentioned that "We know that he covered the last 2 feet in 6 mins".

Statement 2 states that "rat completed its walk 6 minutes after it started walking." ; I think it means that the rat finished the entire walk, including the pause time, in 6 minutes.

Not sure how you derived that rat covered the last 2 feet in 6 mins??

Thanks
AT


That's an error. He covered the entire distance in 6 mins including the pause. We don't have the rate of walking for the rat, neither do we have the duration of the pause so it is not possible to find the walking time.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2013
Posts: 12
Re: A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2015, 22:47
4
It is pretty simple and straight forward as we cannot determine the rate of walking + the pause duration hence the answer has be E. How the rat walks or in which direction is all fluff.

hope it helps.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8459
Premium Member
Re: A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 03:12
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th &nbs [#permalink] 19 Apr 2018, 03:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A rat in a maze starts walking 6 feet in a straight line, th

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.