Last visit was: 14 Jul 2024, 10:55 It is currently 14 Jul 2024, 10:55
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2364 [19]
Given Kudos: 974
Concentration: Finance and accounting
Schools:Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
GPA: 4.0
WE 3: 10
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42142 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42142 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Sentence construction qeuestion [#permalink]
feruz77 wrote:
A recent academic survey by Thomas Green attempted to identify the earliest references to King Arthur so as to legitimize the legendary hero’s questionable existence.

(A) so as to legitimize the legendary hero’s previously questionable existence.
(B) and so legitimize the legendary hero’s questionable existence.
(C) to legitimize the legendary hero’s questionable existence.
(D) so that he could legitimize the legendary hero’s questionable existence.
(E) in order that he would legitimize the legendary hero’s questionable existence.

The current statement means that the Survey tried to legitimize the King Arthur's questionable existance. But the essence of the sentence is that Thomas Green did this Survey to legitimize the existence of King Arthur.
Hence we need to bring in the Subject as Thomas Grren for verb legitimize here so as to convey the intented meaning.
option (D) fulfills this along with best sentence construction.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42142 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I am afraid not. One takes a survey to find out the truth and not to establish what he thinks is the truth. The person taking the survey is just a tool and it is the survey that ultimately legitimizes something. Assigning such deep meaning many not be helpful in a GMAT exercise. Yes. it is acceptable if the choice says - so that it could legitimize the legendary hero’s questionable existence.

If you want to bring in Thomas Green as the subject, the sentence should straight away start in a dynamic way as – Thomas Green in a recent survey attempted to blah, blah
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 586 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Bookmarks
I answered C.

I agree with Daagh's point of view, but I think D may be the best answer here.

A) 'so as to' just means 'to'. 'Previously' is not needed here.

B) and so legitimize. Parallelism issue and awkward.

C) When I read the answer choice C, it sounded fine. I was actually looking for an answer choice that started with 'to' instead of 'so as to.'
Only reason why I would cross C out is the over-use of 'to.'
Attempted 'to' identify A 'to' B 'to' verb.
I would have preferred 'Attempt A to verb' structure.
I still think the answer choice flows fine when you read 'attempted to identify references to King Arthur to legitimize,' but 'attempt to verb to verb' doesn't seem right.

D) 'so that he could legitimize the legendary hero’s questionable existence.'
At first, I thought 'he' was ambiguous, but the answer choice makes it clear that 'he' refers to Thomas Green by inserting 'the legendary hero's questionable existence.'
Thomas Green is the one performing the survey, so he can not be the legendary hero.
This answer choice avoids using 'to' too many times

E) wordy and awkward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
I am afraid not. One takes a survey to find out the truth and not to establish what he thinks is the truth. The person taking the survey is just a tool and it is the survey that ultimately legitimizes something. Assigning such deep meaning many not be helpful in a GMAT exercise. Yes. it is acceptable if the choice says - so that it could legitimize the legendary hero’s questionable existence.

If you want to bring in Thomas Green as the subject, the sentence should straight away start in a dynamic way as – Thomas Green in a recent survey attempted to blah, blah

I might be wrong here but my understanding is that surveys never conclude to a result. They are just ways to collect the data and that data can be used further to conclude different results. It means that same data can be used to conclude completely different sets of results.
So here in question - the survey attempted to find out the earliest reference of King Arthur and then using that -Thomas Green legitimizes the existence.

I also agree that assigning such meanings can be really dangerous in GMAT exercise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management/Strategy Management
GMAT 2: 720
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I selected D, attempted to..... (past tense) + conditional tense (could, would) hence we are left with D, E. E is idiomatically wrong in order that should be in order to...

Source: MGMAT SC
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,PE,VC
Schools:Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
 Q42  V10
Send PM
Here, The sentence is discussing the "general ability of Thomas Green" .So "D" is perfectly suitable.

In discussing past general ability "could" is prefered
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 4023 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
daagh wrote:
D has a questionable antecedent. -]Will - he - refer to Green or Arthur. A right choice should not leave such a dilemma.
The correct answer should reflect the infinitive -to legitimize -in order to match the - to attempt -in the first part. Probably A is good enough( assuming the underlined part is verbatim repeated ) although the idiom - so as to - isn't a very accepted idiom in GMAT.

I agree with daagh. "He" could refer to Green or Arthur. I don't think D is the best.
What is the source?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42142 [0]
Send PM
A recent academic survey by Thomas Green attempted to [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Ultimately, we have to go the rationale of the author and accept D; but a word for feruz77. How do you have an eye for such hair- rising passages? Good job and kudos to you

Here is something interesting

Arguments over grammar and style are often as fierce as those over IBM versus Mac, and as fruitless as Coke versus Pepsi and boxers versus briefs. --Jack Lynch

Originally posted by daagh on 04 Nov 2010, 04:14.
Last edited by daagh on 21 Jul 2019, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Re: A recent academic survey by Thomas Green attempted to [#permalink]
Poor q in my opinion. If someone is seeking to "legitimize" someone's "questionable existence," are they not trying to confirm that that person did not exist? "Previously" thus doesn't seem as redundant here as others have suggested. Have a look at it again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Huh? It is the survey that tried to legitimise, not Thomas Green. Which means that "he" can only refer to Arthur King, thereby making the sentence wrong.

What am I missing?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 493 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
I think C is the right answer, Daagh's point about D seems correct regarding the ambiguity of the pronoun he, can someone help out ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Tepper
Send PM
A recent academic survey by Thomas Green attempted to [#permalink]
IMO C is the right answer.

A recent academic survey by Thomas Green attempted to identify the earliest references to King Arthur so as to legitimize the legendary hero’s questionable existence.

(C) to legitimize the legendary hero’s questionable existence.

The sentence is in passive voice in which the doer of the action is not the subject of the sentence. Hence the subject here is "A recent survey" and "by Thomas Green" is a prepositional clause.
The sentence mentions that the report attempted "to identify"

For the sentence to logically conclude we need to match the infinites "attempted to identify ......... to legitimize" (As mentioned by daagh earlier)

Reaching out to GMATNinja and other experts to shed some light on this post to enlighten us on the correct answer choice :)

Regards
kriswati
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts