Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: A recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, foun [#permalink]
sayantanc2k GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo daagh

Experts if i change the option C and include with before white sounding...then will it be a right option?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619260 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: A recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, foun [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saikarthikreddy wrote:
A recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, found that people who sent in resumes with “ethnic-sounding” names had a much more difficult time getting called back from employers as people who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but “white-sounding” names.

A. employers as people who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but “white-sounding” names.

B. employers as did those who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.

C. employers than those who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but “white-sounding” names.

D. employers than those who did send in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.

E. employers than did people who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

This problem requires that you properly frame the comparison: “people who sent in resumes with these characteristics had a more difficult time getting called back than people did who had resumes with other characteristics.” In (A) and (B) the “as” is incorrect: you say “more than” not “more as”. In (C), you need a “with” after the “but”: without it, the sentence means that the resume showed qualifications AND white names, clearly nonsensical. For (D), the “did” is in the wrong place: it seems to indicate that only those who decided to send in resumes were affected. The “did” needs to be before or after people, not after the who. Answer is (E).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Bookmarks
Quote:
A recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, found that people who sent in resumes with “ethnic-sounding” names had a much more difficult time getting called back from employers as people who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but “white-sounding” names.

A. employers as people who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but “white-sounding” names.

B. employers as did those who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.

C. employers than those who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but “white-sounding” names.

D. employers than those who did send in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.

E. employers than did people who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names

Comparison is between the "difficult time" faced by people, hence "than those"/"than people" is incorrect. This leaves us with B and E.

We can not use as it contains comparative form - more which should be followed by than. Hence E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
the main problem with choice D is that "those who did send" is not parallel with "people who sent". why we have "did" here. it is not parallel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Kudos
saikarthikreddy wrote:

E. employers than did people who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.

I must admit that this one is the one of the toughest that I have encountered 
POE1: As Vs. Then – Since we are comparing nouns (People) instead of clauses, we will have to use “than”. A & B are out
POE 2: Parallelism Structure- The underlined part has to be parallel with the non-underlined part “resumes with “ethnic-sounding” names”. After “but” in the underlined part of option C, we don’t have “With”. C is out
POE 3: Pronoun Ambiguity: In choice D, “those” has ambiguous antecedent. It could be nearest noun “Employers” or “people”. D is out.

E is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
1St point of elimination is between 'as' and 'than'.Than is correct form of comparison.Next is 'those' - it is refering to employers or people is unclear in the sentence.Next vital comparison is between the phrase 'had a much more difficult time' and 'than did people'.Since everything is in past so did must be used in the sentence which is correctly used in the option E.
So option E is the best answer choice.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
‘as’ is incorrect here. A and B OUT

C is out because its structure of different from the first half of the sentence, so it breaks //ism. In D ‘those’ is ambiguous, so E is the best choice.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
pqhai wrote:
Bluelagoon wrote:
Why is D wrong , can somebody explain?

Thanks!

Hi Bluelagoon.

I picked E, not D because:

D)employers than those who did send in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.
The structure is like:

people who sent in resumes.....had much more................getting called back from X than Y who did.......................

You see the comparison is ambiguity. "Those" is not clear here. It's like you're comparing X with Y [employers with those]

E)employers than people did who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with “white-sounding” names.
Even E is longer, but clearer. The structure is:
People who.................had much more................. than people who.........................

Hope it helps.

great explanation. thank you.

ambiguity is a case which we can explain but how to realize ambiguity needs a skill.

if the element compared is in the object phrase of the first clause, the high chance is that ambiguity happens. so, if you see a comparison, ask yourself " is this comparison of subject of object of the first clause.
this question help us realize ambiguity quickly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
egmat GMATNinja

Can you please help with the above question?

In between D & E, I get that in D, those is ambiguous, but In E, doesn't "did" break the parallelism, and what exactly this verb refers to?

Please help me to understand this part.

Thanks & Regards
Sid
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sid0791
"Those" in D isn't ambiguous--it just creates a meaning that doesn't make sense. As the OE says, the issue is in the placement of "did." The sentence restricts "those" to people who DID do all that follows: send in resumes with similar qualifications but with "white-sounding" names.

The DID in E refers back to "have a difficult time." The first group had a MORE DIFFICULT time than the second group did.

(As an aside, this study is real and quite alarming. We have a lot of work to do!)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
sid0791
"Those" in D isn't ambiguous--it just creates a meaning that doesn't make sense. As the OE says, the issue is in the placement of "did." The sentence restricts "those" to people who DID do all that follows: send in resumes with similar qualifications but with "white-sounding" names.

The DID in E refers back to "have a difficult time." The first group had a MORE DIFFICULT time than the second group did.

(As an aside, this study is real and quite alarming. We have a lot of work to do!)

thanks for the explanation.
however i have a doubt that
if in option C with is included before white sounding ..then would it be a right option?
Because it seems that comparison is here between the people??

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 936
Schools: Alberta '23
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
In option e I did not understand why {did }is necessary ...can someone explain me what are the two quantities compared .....I selected c instead of e becuase I thought people is the qunatity that is compared
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 936
Schools: Alberta '23
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
can someone explain why usage of {did} in option e is correct .... acording to my understanding two quantites that are compared are two different types of people ....... so why a verb did is required ....
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kakakakaak wrote:
can someone explain why usage of {did} in option e is correct .... acording to my understanding two quantites that are compared are two different types of people ....... so why a verb did is required ....

The sentence is basically saying:

i) One group (people who sent in resumes with “ethnic-sounding” names) had more difficult time getting called back from employers

ii) Another group (people who sent in resumes with “white-sounding” names) had less difficult time getting called back from employers

So, did substitutes for the simple past tense verb had.

On a side note, I don't believe employers should be in the underlined portion at all.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
kakakakaak wrote:

Hello kakakakaak,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the comparison here is actually between the nature of the action (how difficult it was) "getting called back", as performed by two groups of people --people with “white-sounding” names and people with “ethnic-sounding names”.

Here "did" stands in for the verb "had"; the second instance of the verb can be omitted for conciseness in a comparison, but doing so is not necessary.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
A recent study, published by the California Bureau of Employment, foun [#permalink]
Hello experts

May I have some help in Option E, please

The structure is - the study found that x had more difficulty than Y.
where X = people who sent in resumes with "ethic-sounding"
and Y = People who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with "white-sounding names".

We can simply compare X and Y. Why do we need an additional "did"? Aren't we supposed to compare only nouns(or noun phrases) when using "than"?
By using an additional "did", we are comparing the action of "had difficulty",a usage that is not valid for "than"

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. Thank you.

KarishmaB DanTheGMATMan
Tutor
Affiliations: Co-founder at a GMAT Prep Company
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT Focus 1:
705 Q88 V89 DI84
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Expert Reply
@vishalsinghvs08 wrote:
Hello experts

May I have some help in Option E, please

The structure is - the study found that x had more difficulty than Y.
where X = people who sent in resumes with "ethic-sounding"
and Y = People who sent in resumes showing similar qualifications but with "white-sounding names".

We can simply compare X and Y. Why do we need an additional "did"? Aren't we supposed to compare only nouns(or noun phrases) when using "than"?
By using an additional "did", we are comparing the action of "had difficulty",a usage that is not valid for "than"

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong. Thank you.

KarishmaB DanTheGMATMan

Hi vishalsinghvs08, I'll be happy to help.

Whilst you can compare noun phrases directly with 'than' or 'as', the point is that 'than' and 'as' can also act as CONJUNCTIONS (and therefore be used to compare CLAUSES). We often add in a little something -- whether it be a preposition, verb, or, in some cases, even a clause -- in the second half to avoid ambiguity. Here, the additional verb did does just this. If there is no ambiguity, the additional verb/preposition etc. may not be needed.

Here the ambiguity is wrt how one would parse the comparison objects -- are we comparing the difficulty that the two sets of applicants had in hearing back from employers, OR

Are we comparing the difficulty the first group of applicants had in hearing back from employers vs in hearing back from the second group of applicants?

Using a clause in the second arm of the comparison removes this ambiguity, which exists in, for example, (C).

Where an ambiguity does not exist, a helping verb is not needed. Check, for example, [url="https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-his-eagerness-to-find-a-city-worthy-of-priam-the-german-archaeolog-281055.html"]this official question[/url].

Hope this clarifies.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts